Jump to content
Allora

Bateman quits Canberra at the end of the season

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Probably scouting around now for an English second row to take his spot 

Why do you think they have just picked up  Harry Rushton from Wigan ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, del capo said:

Why do you think they have just picked up  Harry Rushton from Wigan ? 

He’s walking into their team is he 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, del capo said:

They throw them in quick and deep down there . Let's see.....

If an 18 year old kid who hasn’t played first grade goes to Canberra and gets in that spot I’ll eat my house . They sign players for various reasons , often development in lower grades or just as a punt to have a look see 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

I don't understand anybody who manages to do well in Oz wanting to come back over here while they can still play at a top level. 

With sun,sea and less covid why would you want to come back to this backward run country. 

 

Culture

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leneghan has loaned £500K to pay wages till the furlough money arrives of which he then takes it back.

Lenighan has put a lot more than that into the club, so I'd suggest he would only get it back (possibly) as part of any deal that eventually buys the club off him/his family.

....

As for Bateman, these deals are all down to agents and their percentages.  It's a moot as to whether they are good for the game. 

I'd have him in my side, but a player is only as good as his last injury.  That's the balance he has to weigh up. There's probably an advantage in being settled... does that have a value?

Likewise, if he feels, and others have said, that he is the best second rower in the comp then he will want the money he is worth whilst he can get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Copa said:

Bateman has appeared to be unable to read the room when it comes to his public comments.

I’m not fussed to see him depart.

I'm not sure he can read, let alone read a room

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair point about his injury . Persistent shoulder injury needing sorting is probably , with an ACL ,  the worst you can get in this game . It’s to a big degree about shoulders , so he’s got to come back and prove himself and his body again . Maybe he wants it sorted before then but that’s a punt for a club . I agree he probably should have put it on the back burner until he’s firing again 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If an 18 year old kid who hasn’t played first grade goes to Canberra and gets in that spot I’ll eat my house . They sign players for various reasons , often development in lower grades or just as a punt to have a look see 

He is a stand out

He will play first grade this year. Not immediately I agree. Only 18 but a real tearaway,  The ' Raiders ' have done it again with their UK trawl

- who is their scout ? ...…. definitely not a punt..... this lad will go places...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a decent set of middle forwards, I would expect the Raiders to use Tapine on one edge and Whitehead the other moving forward.  Clearly Bateman would be in the starting team if and when he is available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

In rugby terms I just don’t see any logic in him going back to SL . He’s cracked the NRL , he’s a wanted man there and that is where it’s at , end of story . He may have his reasoning , but on the pitch coming here would be a shame and a backward step

Well he certainly won’t be returning to SL expecting a wage rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Southerner said:

What’s he earning at the moment?

$400k a year.  Which is £223k in today's exchange rate.

Edited by Dunbar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

$400k a year.

Around £225k.

i fear due to COVID and his shoulder injury he may have to set his sights lower than the reported £500k + pa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Seems the journalist that Bateman accused of living in fantasy land was correct after all, and it is John himself who tells big Porky's, he should offer an apology.

This is not a good look

He had a good season and I can understand him looking out for himself financially but... 

I'd have thought another year where he performs well (and gets paid well already!) would put himself on a better footing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s on the other side of the world, away from his family and young daughter. He might think he should try to earn as much as possible to make this worth it. He’s acknowledged as one of the top second rowers in the NRL (the best last year), he should go for it and secure his family’s future. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

$400k a year.  Which is £223k in today's exchange rate.

So he’s wanting nearly half a million a year? Wow . His new deal would have made him very well paid indeed ( he is now on most measures ) and up there with the best in his position . If he can get more in this brutal sport then fair enough , but the other side is the chances of silverware and the environment you’re playing in . He had those sorted in Canberra . As I say , I hope it works out for him I like the guy and his style 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Would have liked to see Bateman stay at the Raiders and help them to another GF appearance. I think its easy to blame the manager, and it seems this fella whose just been suspended fits the mould of your stereotypical players manager, but as Bateman has said, he tells his manager what to do.

From a playing point of view, it always tends to be the clubs lower down the table that have room for such big money players. With Graham leaving St. George, and Tyson Frizell moving on to Newcastle, maybe the Dragons will make a move for him.

Canterbury will also been a name thrown around also, and maybe Wests? Was Bateman at Wigan with McGuire? can't recall.

Personally would like to see him go to a team with a genuine chance of winning a GF. Maybe the Roosters will take a look if Ryan Hall leaves and either of the Morris twins hang up their boots.

Would Melbourne even have cap space with the likes of Vunivalu leaving?

Maybe his options aren't that bad after all.

The clubs at bottom of the table only being able to sign the top talent is how it should be in a salary capped sport. It shows the salary cap is actually working to distribute the talent across the competition.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AB90 said:

The clubs at bottom of the table only being able to sign the top talent is how it should be in a salary capped sport. It shows the salary cap is actually working to distribute the talent across the competition.

Unless you are a special team with good Accountants

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the only one who will come out of this with a smile will be his manager, how often in sports do people take on new management who immediately agitate for a move to get their percentage, it happens all the time and I'm sure the Raiders were prepared for the situation. Bateman won't find a coach who will accommodate him like Ricky and if he moves to another NRL club will be the lone pom most likely. As for returning here playing wise it's a backwards step nor is the same money on offer, a mess of his own making.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Would have liked to see Bateman stay at the Raiders and help them to another GF appearance. I think its easy to blame the manager, and it seems this fella whose just been suspended fits the mould of your stereotypical players manager, but as Bateman has said, he tells his manager what to do.

From a playing point of view, it always tends to be the clubs lower down the table that have room for such big money players. With Graham leaving St. George, and Tyson Frizell moving on to Newcastle, maybe the Dragons will make a move for him.

Canterbury will also been a name thrown around also, and maybe Wests? Was Bateman at Wigan with McGuire? can't recall.

Personally would like to see him go to a team with a genuine chance of winning a GF. Maybe the Roosters will take a look if Ryan Hall leaves and either of the Morris twins hang up their boots.

Would Melbourne even have cap space with the likes of Vunivalu leaving?

Maybe his options aren't that bad after all.

Not sure if Vunivalu is still going to Union, they are really on their backside at the moment.


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Allora said:

Not sure if Vunivalu is still going to Union, they are really on their backside at the moment.

Yeah i know it's been mentioned he might stay, which at this late stage suggests they might have wiggle room in the cap. Who knows.

Plenty of clubs have moved players on to accommodate a new player. Souths with Burgess coming back from union being one if i recall correctly.


Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...