Central American RL social media

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to help push Central American rugby league's social media accounts. Obviously it helps the cause of each nation to have a greater reach and to attract sponsors. We're also using it as a measuring stick against the social media of Central American Union.

Central America has a very real possibility of TGG being the major code of rugby in a short space of time with a little nurturing.

We have just started a Youtube Channel for "How to" videos in Spanish so new players can get into the game. 

Confederación Centroamericana de Rugby League Facebook Page

Confederación Centroamericana de Rugby League YouTube Channel

Facebook Pages:

Belize Facebook Page

Guatemala Facebook Page

El Salvador Facebook Page

Honduras Facebook Page

Nicaragua Facebook Page

Costa Rica Facebook Page

Panama Facebook Page

Instagram Accounts:

Belize Instagram

El Salvador Instagram

Honduras Instagram

Nicaragua Instagram

Panama Instagram

Twitter Accounts:

Belize Twitter

El Salvador Twitter

Honduras Twitter

Nicaragua Twitter

Costa Rica Twitter

As you can see, not all Seven Central American countries have all 3 of the top social media platforms running at the moment but we are working on it.

I can tell you that out of the possible 21 accounts (7 nations X 3 accounts), the rugby league account has a better following on Seven. Only 14 to go! The total follower count is 26,347 to RU and 10,002 to RL at last count. The growth of the RL accounts has been double that of the RU accounts since I've rolled up my sleeves though.

Let's do it!

Edited by Pulga
Added Belize.
  • Like 8

new rise.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Pulga. 

Just being nosey here, what is your involvement in this and what are playing numbers like in those countries? Do you really think RL can get established in Central America? Good luck with it anyway! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thanks for sharing this Pulga. 

Just being nosey here, what is your involvement in this and what are playing numbers like in those countries? Do you really think RL can get established in Central America? Good luck with it anyway! 

Not nosey at all mate. I could talk about it for hours.

I am the founder of the El Salvador and Nicaragua RL so far. There have been some interesting contacts on the ground very recently in Honduras and Costa Rica too. 

There are a small number of players in El Salvador which has been halted because of COVID-19. 

Nicaragua is a bit more active. They completed their first domestic competition last year with 4 teams in 3 cities. 

I believe Honduras could come to the dark side in a big way and match Nicaragua but time will tell. 

I really do think RL could get established in Central America. It is a fairly unique set of countries that have some huge benefits and also some challenges. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Not nosey at all mate. I could talk about it for hours.

I am the founder of the El Salvador and Nicaragua RL so far. There have been some interesting contacts on the ground very recently in Honduras and Costa Rica too. 

There are a small number of players in El Salvador which has been halted because of COVID-19. 

Nicaragua is a bit more active. They completed their first domestic competition last year with 4 teams in 3 cities. 

I believe Honduras could come to the dark side in a big way and match Nicaragua but time will tell. 

I really do think RL could get established in Central America. It is a fairly unique set of countries that have some huge benefits and also some challenges. 

Sounds exciting! Do you live in Central America then? 

Also have you got any juniors or women playing as well as the men’s teams? 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sounds exciting! Do you live in Central America then? 

Also have you got any juniors or women playing as well as the men’s teams? 

No. I was planning on going over for an extended stay in January but COVID-19 has ruined that.

I married into a Salvadoran family and my brother-in-law played his whole life which sparked the idea.

We have plans for both juniors and women's in Nicaragua but nothing just yet. Hopefully something this year virus willing. 

• Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update on the Central America social media accounts:

More than 12,000 followers across all platforms and Eight RL accounts are beating out their RU counterpart out of a possible 21. 13 to go!

Edit: actually Nine out of 21!

Edited by Pulga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

Update on the Central America social media accounts:

More than 12,000 followers across all platforms and Eight RL accounts are beating out their RU counterpart out of a possible 21. 13 to go!

Que es muy beuno Pulga.Todas el  muy mejor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, langpark said:

The youtube videos in Spanish is a great idea too! Well done on all fronts mate! 

Thanks mate. I agree. Hopefully we can get them doing more and more of those.

new rise.jpg

16 hours ago, Pulga said:

Thanks mate. I agree. Hopefully we can get them doing more and more of those.

Have you had any luck setting up a site where you can accept one off donations (eg from people on this forum), rather than monthly regular payments?

On 16/08/2020 at 14:30, Eddie said:

Have you had any luck setting up a site where you can accept one off donations (eg from people on this forum), rather than monthly regular payments?

If it bothers you, just sign up on Patreon and cancel when you reckon you've paid enough $4s.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not the point Scotchy lad. 

Scotchy ?

Always amuses me when someone thinks they've spotted someone with two accounts.😂

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, langpark said:

When did Belize appear?  Do they have any teams yet?

Population just 400k according to wiki, not the easiest of tasks I would say, good luck to those involved!

We've been in talks with a group for a while. We're trying to help them via correspondence because of COVID.

It is a small nation. It does have the benefit of being English speaking though and a Commonwealth Country.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pulga said:

Today Honduras partook in their very first rugby league training session in La Esperanza, Intibucá.

I like to throw in obscure music references for a bit of colour. Anything I don`t understand in Spanish brings to mind the Wall of Voodoo track "Mexican Radio" and the line "no comprende - it`s a riddle".

The blokes here aren`t lifting the ball before playing it, just leaving it on the ground. Which indicates they`re more familiar with Union. In developing countries you will often see little problems like this, and it makes you wonder about the quality of the translations of the RL rulebook.

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I like to throw in obscure music references for a bit of colour. Anything I don`t understand in Spanish brings to mind the Wall of Voodoo track "Mexican Radio" and the line "no comprende - it`s a riddle".

The blokes here aren`t lifting the ball before playing it, just leaving it on the ground. Which indicates they`re more familiar with Union. In developing countries you will often see little problems like this, and it makes you wonder about the quality of the translations of the RL rulebook.

What translations?

As far as I know there are none in any language bar maybe French (and even then I'm not sure).

new rise.jpg