Central American RL social media

59 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That was kind of my point. That with just bilingual individuals interpreting ad hoc for new players, things are bound to get lost or added in translation.

How good would it be if governing bodies thought about NEEDS instead of worrying about other things?

new rise.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Whenever I think of rugby union in South America I think of Argentina and Uruguay which IMO would be a huge and almost impossible  uphill struggle for RL to establish itself in those countries. RL should concentrate on countries that have little or no RU presence like chile, Columbia and Peru etc.

RL already has a presence in Argentina and grassroots union there is very much in decline from what I hear. We should concentrate on developing all countries, it doesn’t need to be an either/or situation. Most of the hard yards is done by people on the ground anyway

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

RL already has a presence in Argentina and grassroots union there is very much in decline from what I hear. We should concentrate on developing all countries, it doesn’t need to be an either/or situation. Most of the hard yards is done by people on the ground anyway

Wouldn’t Argentina just be like France on steroids considering the pumas just recently beat the all blacks?

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Constantly in the shadows and having people trying to wreck any positive gains.

There isn’t the history there like in France. Developing in rugby union strong countries is a double edged sword I acknowledge. You have a pool of talent that have some skill set but are also at risk of backlash from insecure other code. That said I believe rugby league has developed in Argentina reasonably well, from people who prefer the code. 

There’s a big backlash in union in Argentina due to the danger of serious injury. It’s unclear if this will translate to RL or not 

19 hours ago, DoubleD said:

There isn’t the history there like in France. Developing in rugby union strong countries is a double edged sword I acknowledge. You have a pool of talent that have some skill set but are also at risk of backlash from insecure other code. That said I believe rugby league has developed in Argentina reasonably well, from people who prefer the code. 

There’s a big backlash in union in Argentina due to the danger of serious injury. It’s unclear if this will translate to RL or not 

This is basically it. It's so hard to start from nothing. Having union players convert to league is a massive leg up.

But then, as you say, there's the possibility of shady union dealings which is near constant.

• Sad 1

new rise.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 23:16, Pulga said:

spacer.png

El Salvador announce match against Peru.

On another thread I was mentioning in the context of the England jersey the issue with national sides adopting designs that are already firmly associated with famous clubs. Ideally every nation and club would have a jersey both distinctive to them and to RL, yet of course the good options are limited.

Nothing especially prepossessing about the above two. Main concern is they could easily be Soccer shirts. Albeit, there are RL clubs that wear a plain blue jersey - Valleys Diehards in Brisbane or Narellan Jets in NSW Group 6. If El Salvador added a white chevron or two they`d be edging towards Toa Samoa, though for Swinton fans there can never be too many such jerseys.

Don`t know if the Peru one is still the national Soccer shirt, but it certainly was in 1978 when they stuffed Scotland in the WC in Argentina. This was the first time I`d ever been allowed to stay up through the night for something. The result was highly amusing against the backdrop of the Scots deluding themselves in the lead up that they were going to win the tournament and telling us that "England dednee qualify".

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2020 at 07:36, unapologetic pedant said:

. Albeit, there are RL clubs that wear a plain blue jersey - Valleys Diehards in Brisbane or Narellan Jets in NSW Group 6. 

It`s dawned on me that the most famous RL club to wear a plain blue jersey is the mighty Newtown Jets/Bluebags.

On a side issue, I can`t find out whether the Cabramatta 9s will be held next year. The 2020 tournament was cancelled due to 40 degree temperatures in Western Sydney, though apparently some of the teams went ahead and played unofficially. El Salvador are listed as having participated in the past. As are Chile. Colombia were scheduled for this year. And I think Latin Heat are regulars.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Chinandega, Nicaragua is hosting a 9s series starting this Sunday. 

Not wildly keen on the jersey - isn`t distinctively RL enough. Apparently there will be 4 teams in this 9s comp, so let`s hope the RL fashion police have inspected and passed the other 3 jerseys. If everyone else is in chevrons or irregular hoops, we can overlook the one faux pas.

Well done though to whoever sensed a hint of the Salford abomination.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not wildly keen on the jersey - isn`t distinctively RL enough. Apparently there will be 4 teams in this 9s comp, so let`s hope the RL fashion police have inspected and passed the other 3 jerseys. If everyone else is in chevrons or irregular hoops, we can overlook the one faux pas.

Well done though to whoever sensed a hint of the Salford abomination.

I did recommend chevrons... But I also said to do what they wanted.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Probably the biggest news in Central American Rugby League history. The process to get this done was ridiculous.

What are the advantages? How does sports bureaucracy operate in Nicaragua?

BTW, looking at "@NicaraguaRugby" on this Twitter page, there is a lot of this on South American RL social media (El Salvador Rugby, Honduras Rugby, etc). It can take a few clicks to confirm something is RL. I`m accustomed to thinking this is a problem, but maybe not in South America?

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Probably the biggest news in Central American Rugby League history. The process to get this done was ridiculous.

Well done! So does Rugby League gets its own federation now? That is a massive game changer if so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

What are the advantages? How does sports bureaucracy operate in Nicaragua?

BTW, looking at "@NicaraguaRugby" on this Twitter page, there is a lot of this on South American RL social media (El Salvador Rugby, Honduras Rugby, etc). It can take a few clicks to confirm something is RL. I`m accustomed to thinking this is a problem, but maybe not in South America?

Government recognition will eventually lead to sports being handed funding in a government's budget. It's also a prerequisite for IRL membership. There's no such thing as a "not-for-profit" organisation. You're either an association or you're nothing.

As for the Twitter handle, I did that on purpose. We're branding ourselves as THE rugby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

new rise.jpg