Central American RL social media

37 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Belize is very unique, especially in Central America. A Commonwealth country, nearly 50/50 split of Mestizo (probably what you think of when you think of the region, Mayan/European Mix) and Creole (African decent). English as the offical language but they speak a Creole.

I was surprised to see that Belize was actually located in Central America as I had for some reason always thought of it being in the northern part of South America next to other ex European colonies like Suriname and Guyana.

Either way it’s great news for RL expansion 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 27/02/2022 at 13:42, Pulga said:

https://www.facebook.com/255032504650012/posts/2170229186463658/?sfnsn=mo

There is currently a 3 day clinic happening in El Salvador. A coach from Colombia is holding it in Santa Ana. 

Hey Pulga, nothing but respect for your dedication and hard work so far 

Just some questions about Rugby League in Central America.  What is the strongest nation? Which has the most potential? What is the locals inital views of the sport do they find it hard, do they enjoy the game? What are biggest challenges you face in growing the game? Also are there any plans to get Rugby League started in Mexico, have huge population? 

Kind Regards. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 17:14, Young Blood said:

Hey Pulga, nothing but respect for your dedication and hard work so far 

Just some questions about Rugby League in Central America.  What is the strongest nation? Which has the most potential? What is the locals inital views of the sport do they find it hard, do they enjoy the game? What are biggest challenges you face in growing the game? Also are there any plans to get Rugby League started in Mexico, have huge population? 

Kind Regards. 

Hey mate, thanks for the questions.

The strongest domestically is Nicaragua. They've been able to play a 4 team season before COVID hit. They've also played a few one-offs and a 9s tournament over 4 rounds. 3 of those teams came from one city: Chinandega.

El Salvador is the only one that has played at an international level. Assuming everyone raised a team to play test matches El Salvador would kill everyone because of the heritage players in Australia. There's also quite a number of players in the USA.

Most potential: I think all of them. If they could work together with the right resources they could all play more internationals than any country on earth because of the close proximity and low cost of living. They could also put together an extremely cheap professional competition. They all have their problems, challenges and benefits.

We mostly get players from union so playing a contract sport is already known. They enjoy the non-stop action. They're obviously playing at a very low level which I'm keen to help upskill.

Biggest challenge would be the seeming complete lack of care from the IRL and just how difficult it is to get balls there. I've sent balls before that have taken 5 months to arrive. To express post them cost me over $500 for 5 balls. Obviously finding everything myself is suboptimal.

Mexico has been playing sporadically for longer than any Latin American country barring Argentina. They just never seem to be able to get it together. If I were them I'd be tapping into the massive amount of Mexican heritage union players in the USA to start with. But they don't like that idea.

new rise.jpg

• 6 months later...