RL in New Zealand

15 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

this year the Warriors achieving there usual 10th -13th overall placing will actually mean something considering the circumstances

Am I correct in saying that if they were regular top 4 they could be huge in N.Z.

I base this on the memories of their two GF`s and the scenes at the airport over there , it looked to me that the whole of N.Z. was behind them.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not convinced that "clearing out" is such a mysterious art.

It was hard enough for me to learn as a kid without hurting myself/others.... Doing it in the professional game would be a significant challenge to learn.... Possibly the most significant for a league convert 

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Am I correct in saying that if they were regular top 4 they could be huge in N.Z.

I base this on the memories of their two GF`s and the scenes at the airport over there , it looked to me that the whole of N.Z. was behind them.

If the Warriors won the NRL Grand Final that would be massive news in NZ 

8 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

It truly would , but more importantly it would really ###### off the Aussies ( I wanted to put convicts but thought better of it 😉 ) 😀

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

How good would that be. They should have four by now and maybe Wellington another one.( GF that is ).😀

Ali Lauitiiti standing in tackles like a colossus waving the ball round in one hand, Clinton Toopi aggressive dangerous centre,  Francis Meli  that was a great team.

By the way if I`m over here last night posting at midnight and your responding isn`t that like 3.00a.m. your time. Get some sleep man !

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

It truly would , but more importantly it would really ###### off the Aussies ( I wanted to put convicts but thought better of it 😉 ) 😀

Plenty of convicts in my family and a really nasty crime figure (dead now but he`d be offended by that)Google George Freeman , Racing identity. My old man got arrested once on suspicion of being him `cause they looked alike, it was a matter of a stolen car.

Couple of other things, you`ve been baiting me for a few days now, that`s O.K. Careful though or I`ll skitch Mitch Johnson onto you. I know how much you guys loved him.

Last thing, in your above quote I can`t work out the 6 letter swear word that was blanked. You might have to give me a word that rhymes so I can work it out.  ..OOOroo.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Frankly I think you are projecting English attitudes...

The reality is that, as with all things to do with NZ, most Aussies would be totally apathetic to the Warriors winning a GF. Of the rest that did care enough to really take notice most would celebrate their success.

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Plenty of convicts in my family and a really nasty crime figure (dead now but he`d be offended by that)Google George Freeman , Racing identity. My old man got arrested once on suspicion of being him `cause they looked alike, it was a matter of a stolen car.

Couple of other things, you`ve been baiting me for a few days now, that`s O.K. Careful though or I`ll skitch Mitch Johnson onto you. I know how much you guys loved him.

Last thing, in your above quote I can`t work out the 6 letter swear word that was blanked. You might have to give me a word that rhymes so I can work it out.  ..OOOroo.

It was a four letter word begining with p and ending in 2 S's 

Who's Mitch Johnson ?

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Frankly I think you are projecting English attitudes...

The reality is that, as with all things to do with NZ, most Aussies would be totally apathetic to the Warriors winning a GF. Of the rest that did care enough to really take notice most would celebrate their success.

I am  projecting English attitudes , I recall watching the one day cricket series between the 2 when I was visiting my brother in Wellington , I was much more vociferous in my support for the black caps than the kiwi's I was with , maybe that gives an indication of the differences in sporting culture between the UK and the colonies , we put more emotion into it 

37 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It was a four letter word begining with p and ending in 2 S's 

Who's Mitch Johnson ?

I know you get the ##### (5 letter word starts and ends with S) with Aussies giving free advice on your comp, but I just  want you bastards to give us a decent series. Much as it pains me to say this we have the afl up our jacksey over here and one thing we have that they don`t is international competition. And there more good international footy we have , the more we can rub their noses in it.

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I know you get the ##### (5 letter word starts and ends with S) with Aussies giving free advice on your comp, but I just  want you bastards to give us a decent series. Much as it pains me to say this we have the afl up our jacksey over here and one thing we have that they don`t is international competition. And there more good international footy we have , the more we can rub their noses in it.

Completely agree , you never know if the Canadians get their act together they might take you apart in a century or two 

On 31/07/2020 at 18:39, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It was hard enough for me to learn as a kid without hurting myself/others.... Doing it in the professional game would be a significant challenge to learn.... Possibly the most significant for a league convert 

"Clearing out" is generic. Be more specific.

A teammate is tackled, places the ball, an opponent comes in, is about to get over the ball. What is so devilishly abstruse about knocking or pushing them back?

21 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Heebyjeebies has 12 letters and doesn`t start with an S. You`re playing too much head-up, off-the-cuff, razzle-dazzle. Need to get back to a tight, spell-checker structure.

When the Kiwis have enjoyed a good record against the Kangaroos it still hasn`t significantly revived interest in international football in Aus. The whole winter sport model is set up to reflect the NRL/AFL symmetry, where each is regarded and treated as a domestic sport. Only Origin transcends that now.

The world Cup final wasn`t a great game, but it was close. As was the opening game of the tournament. Where was the interest? The Tonga/Australia Tests the last two years rated lower on Fox League than a Saturday night NRL game.

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Heebyjeebies has 12 letters and doesn`t start with an S.

Old World disease eradicated over here since the 1950`s. I recommend bathing more than once per week.

Kiwis:  Not enough wins and too many heavy losses to be taken seriously. Bit like London unfortunately.

World Cup Final:  If you or anyone else  can beat us 2x`s out of 3 on a regular basis by that score or less I couldn`t care less.

Test matches don`t have to be entertaining, they have to be gripping.

Tonga keep beating us, they will get a better timeslot  and they will rate.

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Need to get back to a tight, spell-checker structure.

Is that tight enough for you?  as the actress said to the priest. Thought I`d throw in that low-brow Benny Hill-esque single entendre for you, as I know you Pommies love them.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Old World disease eradicated over here since the 1950`s. I recommend bathing more than once per week.

Kiwis:  Not enough wins and too many heavy losses to be taken seriously. Bit like London unfortunately.

World Cup Final:  If you or anyone else  can beat us 2x`s out of 3 on a regular basis by that score or less I couldn`t care less.

Test matches don`t have to be entertaining, they have to be gripping.

Tonga keep beating us, they will get a better timeslot  and they will rate.

Is that tight enough for you?  as the actress said to the priest. Thought I`d throw in that low-brow Benny Hill-esque single entendre for you, as I know you Pommies love them.

Teams shouldn`t have to keep beating Aus to earn respect and interest. Fans of RL ought to be fans of international RL.

There are posters on Aus RL forums who berate their own media for not giving due weight to Tests. The domestic rivalry with AFL distorts the priorities, blinds NRL media to the potential interest in internationals. We can be insular too, but the RFL and English fans have supported World Cups and Emerging Nations Cups in the past 25 years far better than in Aus.

We gave the world Benny Hill, you gave the world Prisoner Cell Block H.

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

"Clearing out" is generic. Be more specific.

A teammate is tackled, places the ball, an opponent comes in, is about to get over the ball. What is so devilishly abstruse about knocking or pushing them back?

Learning when to go in and when not to is difficult. Going in without going off your feet or at least not getting caught off your feet, judging where the channel is so not getting pinged for going in at the side, leading with shoulder in the correct technique, rolling players off when needed.... And plenty more that will give away a penalty or leave the line short 

Doing this at the highest level, at the fastest pace in front of crowds, in pressure situations and against people who have been doing it since they were 7 so have full muscle memory and read of the game.. 

You can say anything is simple like learning to throw a basketball into the. hoop. Doesn't mean you'll be able to do it at NBA standard 

I daresay good league forwards have as good a shot as any sportsmen of making some kind of stab at it but why bother when they can do a better job more easily at centre? 

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Teams shouldn`t have to keep beating Aus to earn respect and interest. Fans of RL ought to be fans of international RL.

There are posters on Aus RL forums who berate their own media for not giving due weight to Tests. The domestic rivalry with AFL distorts the priorities, blinds NRL media to the potential interest in internationals. We can be insular too, but the RFL and English fans have supported World Cups and Emerging Nations Cups in the past 25 years far better than in Aus.

I liked prisoner cell block H

Someone had better mention New Zealand before this thread gets locked again.

Jackson Ferris made a try-scoring debut for Cronulla on Friday night. He`s a junior of Kia Ora Warriors in Manawatu. More proof that even the smaller leagues in NZ can produce NRL standard talent.

Worth keeping in mind because if they find out he played any RU at school, or ever watched an All Blacks game on TV, that`s usually enough for an NRL journalist to ask "how are you adapting to League, coming from a Rugby background?"

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Learning when to go in and when not to is difficult. Going in without going off your feet or at least not getting caught off your feet, judging where the channel is so not getting pinged for going in at the side, leading with shoulder in the correct technique, rolling players off when needed.... And plenty more that will give away a penalty or leave the line short 

Doing this at the highest level, at the fastest pace in front of crowds, in pressure situations and against people who have been doing it since they were 7 so have full muscle memory and read of the game.. 

You can say anything is simple like learning to throw a basketball into the. hoop. Doesn't mean you'll be able to do it at NBA standard 

I daresay good league forwards have as good a shot as any sportsmen of making some kind of stab at it but why bother when they can do a better job more easily at centre? 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I liked prisoner cell block H

Unfortunate juxtaposition. You`re inviting people to judge everything in the first post in the light of the second. I remember a review of Prisoner Cell Block H that said it was "aimed at connoisseurs of true crud".

Serious point. Playing a League forward as a Union centre, since they`re bound to lack a yard of pace or more against their opposite numbers, just exposes them. Futile, at best.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Unfortunate juxtaposition. You`re inviting people to judge everything in the first post in the light of the second. I remember a review of Prisoner Cell Block H that said it was "aimed at connoisseurs of true crud".

Serious point. Playing a League forward as a Union centre, since they`re bound to lack a yard of pace or more against their opposite numbers, just exposes them. Futile, at best.

I guess the moral and of the story is that players should not cross codes.... Oh and Australians make the best 'worst' TV ever 😁

Actually I liked the series 'The Code' on Netflix... Highly recommended

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I guess the moral and of the story is that players should not cross codes

Any Australian League player who is tempted to head to Union should be reminded of your war-time Leaders maxim:

" this is the first time I have witnessed a rat swimming towards a sinking ship ", but maybe just not the first time.

15 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I went to the Test match when Keiron Cunningham was being hyped as the saviour of English Rugby League, I think it was about 30-0 at half time when I left. Some particularly patriotic types will cheer all day as Australia run in try after try, making the opposition look foolish. I may feel the same way if we were playing Manly. Internationals are different, they are meant to be ` knock `em down, drag `em out ` sort of affairs. Your best against our best.

That`s why Origin reigns, two evenly matched sides who throw absolutely everything at each other and often only one piece of brilliance separating them.

My sons and I really enjoyed the last two WC`s in Australia, particular highlight was the support for P.N.G. in Townsville, the traditional dress, the war paint and the exuberance of their fans. That for me is what a RLWC is about , a celebration of the game. Not everyone feels the same. But I am optimistic.

15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just have another go at this. My view is admittedly prejudiced by two things. First that when I played a bit of RU at school the rucks were a risible shambles. Second, there are many similar techniques and judgements involved in the League ruck, which never attract the same attention or analysis. That, of course, is not the fault of RU. It`s RL`s "simple game for simple people" self-assessment that`s to blame.

Trying to stay on your feet is hardly a complex procedure.

In an RU ruck where "the side" begins and ends is as long as a piece of string.

"rolling players off" is the sort of thing that would prompt moaning about "wrestling" in RL.

Two things you omitted. Sometimes a tackled player is trying to release the ball, but the player over the ball prevents it. The ref penalises the tackled player. Sometimes a tackler is caught up on the ground and literally cannot roll away. He gets penalised. In both cases the penalties are awarded for cosmetic not technical reasons.

I`m just challenging the portrayal of the RU ruck as a mix of rocket science, brain surgery, quantum physics, Wittgenstein, etc.

22 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just have another go at this. My view is admittedly prejudiced by two things. First that when I played a bit of RU at school the rucks were a risible shambles. Second, there are many similar techniques and judgements involved in the League ruck, which never attract the same attention or analysis. That, of course, is not the fault of RU. It`s RL`s "simple game for simple people" self-assessment that`s to blame.

Trying to stay on your feet is hardly a complex procedure.

In an RU ruck where "the side" begins and ends is as long as a piece of string.

"rolling players off" is the sort of thing that would prompt moaning about "wrestling" in RL.

Two things you omitted. Sometimes a tackled player is trying to release the ball, but the player over the ball prevents it. The ref penalises the tackled player. Sometimes a tackler is caught up on the ground and literally cannot roll away. He gets penalised. In both cases the penalties are awarded for cosmetic not technical reasons.

I`m just challenging the portrayal of the RU ruck as a mix of rocket science, brain surgery, quantum physics, Wittgenstein, etc.

I think the same difficulty approaching league rucks/tackles applies to union to league converts too. Certainly not suggesting league is simple

One of the reasons I love league is the cleaner breakdown

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Yes, it is far more a mix of rocket surgery, brain science and a quantum  F### Up,  than the ` Game of Chess ` they would have you believe.

Archived