RL in New Zealand

On 01/08/2020 at 10:02, The Rocket said:

I know you get the ##### (5 letter word starts and ends with S) with Aussies giving free advice on your comp, but I just  want you bastards to give us a decent series. Much as it pains me to say this we have the afl up our jacksey over here and one thing we have that they don`t is international competition. And there more good international footy we have , the more we can rub their noses in it.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Yes, it is far more a mix of rocket surgery, brain science and a quantum  F### Up,  than the ` Game of Chess ` they would have you believe.

Some of your language is awfully rough, old cock. Even a mite uncouth. Too many kangaroo steaks and croc burgers.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There`s an article on NRL.com about Jordan Riki making his Broncos debut this weekend. Unusually for NRL journalism there was some info on his junior League club, Hornby Panthers. Have a suspicion this came from a steer they got from David Kidwell, rather than their own research efforts, but nonetheless the piece was shaping up as a refreshing change.

Should have known better, because half way down, there it was - "most kids in New Zealand want to be All Blacks...". It must literally be a legal requirement for an NRL article about NZ RL to include at least one reference of this type. It was a quote from someone at the Broncos this time, not the journalist`s own copy, but if he hadn`t got the quote he would probably have put that or "Rugby-mad NZ" in himself.

Has there ever been an NRL piece about a NZ league player which didn`t include references to the All Blacks, Rugby-mad, Rugby background, etc? I`m sure I`ve never seen one.

Credit where it`s due. An article on NRL.com about Christian Tuipulotu`s debut for the Roosters devoid of any references to you-know-who or you-know-what. Chris Kennedy is the author. Not sure how he managed it, maybe after electric shock treatment to clear his mind of dark side clutter, but it shows they can do it if they try.

Favourite line was "A product of famed Auckland Rugby League nursery St. Paul`s College". Would be nice to think that more NZ RL clubs and schools will acquire fame at NRL.com, but it won`t be a surprise if they`re quickly back to lazy NZ stereotypes and platitudes.

On 18/08/2020 at 02:45, unapologetic pedant said:

Credit where it`s due. An article on NRL.com about Christian Tuipulotu`s debut for the Roosters devoid of any references to you-know-who or you-know-what. Chris Kennedy is the author. Not sure how he managed it, maybe after electric shock treatment to clear his mind of dark side clutter, but it shows they can do it if they try.

Favourite line was "A product of famed Auckland Rugby League nursery St. Paul`s College". Would be nice to think that more NZ RL clubs and schools will acquire fame at NRL.com, but it won`t be a surprise if they`re quickly back to lazy NZ stereotypes and platitudes.

St Paul's College rugby league academy and programme is a result of local clubs helping their local schools. They wouldn't be where they are without the incredible work from parents and especially the Richmond RL club. I wish other local clubs were more helpful spreading the game in schools in Auckland but lack of vision and understanding put a stop to that.

• 5 months later...

A months old thread this, but for those who are interested the bulk of this week‘s Chasing Kangaroos podcast is an interview with the CEO of NZRL, and he answers a number of questions like could NZ host a WC on their own and could they have a second NRL club - similar sorts of things to those discussed above. 

If you are interested, this report was undertaken in 2009, when the government basically stepped in to sort the shady dealings of NZRL out. 

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/26518854/rugby-league-contributing-to-new-zealands-future-pdf-138-mb

I would love to say the game has moved on since this stuff, and in many ways the NZRL has. Unfortunately that cant be said of the practices mentioned and some of the people referred to.

In terms of a national comp, NZRL has struggled to capture the imagination of the masses in the same way that super rugby did. I honestly think its just down to poor brand perception, but national champs is played in front of basically no crowds, with the exception of Canterbury, whose clubs seem to have got on board with the Bulls concept.

What seems to be the biggest repeating feature with NZRL is the enemy within. 

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Lack of money and even more depressing lack of interest in RL nationwide.

NRL franchises for NZ is the only way forward.

I remember seeing total TV viewing figures a couple of years ago and despite union being miles ahead League was a respectable second. Things can`t be that bad then.

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Lack of money and even more depressing lack of interest in RL nationwide.

NRL franchises for NZ is the only way forward.

I think there should be a 2nd NZ NRL team. But surely they can also run a reserve side in  the NSW Cup, I know this has happened in the past but don’t believe it’s the case anymore. If PNG and Fiji can do it surely NZ can too. 

Auckland and Christchurch are the main  centers for League in NZ. All the clubs in Auckland have good facilities and club rooms.

Auckland RL receive a large income from properties that were built on Carlaw Park and are not short of cash.

The West Coast of the SI was a real strong hold for League but is in decline, due to industries and mines closing and guy s that played the game moved on.

The Aussies haven't helped the game here, they take all the best players. They could help out playing more tests but don't seem interested.

Just now, frank said:

Auckland and Christchurch are the main  centers for League in NZ. All the clubs in Auckland have good facilities and club rooms.

Auckland RL receive a large income from properties that were built on Carlaw Park and are not short of cash.

The West Coast of the SI was a real strong hold for League but is in decline, due to industries and mines closing and guy s that played the game moved on.

The Aussies haven't helped the game here, they take all the best players. They could help out playing more tests but don't seem interested

The best the NRL could do was to invest some of the $20+ million per year they get from Kiwi Sky Tv for the right to broadcast NRL games in NZ, instead of just stripping money out of the country.

Presently NZRL rely on funds they raise themselves or get from any Test matches the Kiwis play.

There was a lot of talk last year about a proposal whereby NZRL would get funding similar NSWRL, QLDRL etc. That for me would be by far the best option.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I remember seeing total TV viewing figures a couple of years ago and despite union being miles ahead League was a respectable second. Things can`t be that bad then.

Australia should play the Kiwis in New Zealand every other year to be honest, like your Cricket authorities you pretty much ignore us. 

42 minutes ago, Newguy said:

Australia should play the Kiwis in New Zealand every other year to be honest, like your Cricket authorities you pretty much ignore us. 

That was mentioned and apparently the last time only 10k turned up, hardly a money spinner. 

The best the NRL could do was to invest some of the $20+ million per year they get from Kiwi Sky Tv for the right to broadcast NRL games in NZ, instead of just stripping money out of the country.

Presently NZRL rely on funds they raise themselves or get from any Test matches the Kiwis play.

There was a lot of talk last year about a proposal whereby NZRL would get funding similar NSWRL, QLDRL etc. That for me would be by far the best option.

Considering circa 30% of NRL players are from NZ I am surprised the NRL aren’t doing more to support grass roots there. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Considering circa 30% of NRL players are from NZ I am surprised the NRL aren’t doing more to support grass roots there. 

I think the NRL probably feel like they don't need to. They already have the supply of players they need with minimal investment.

52 minutes ago, Newguy said:

As soon as the Pirtek Kiwi vs. Gallagher Kangaroos Test series become a 50/50 proposition, with the holder of the ANZAC Trophy changing hands on a regular basis then we will start to see regular sell-out crowds in NZ and OZ.

The only fly in the ointment I see is that some of the players coming through the Kiwi system may put their hands up to play for Pacific Island nations, if they have PI heritage of course, however I don`t see this as being a significant impediment to the rise of Kiwi RL.

I think the Kiwis are very, very close to matching the Australians now, you only have to look at the forwards available to realise they are a very formidable team. Fisher-Harris, JWH, Bromwichs, Tapine, Smith, Proctor and loads more.

Once competitive ANZAC Tests will be bigger then the Bledisloe Cup and will replace the Bledisloe Cup as the main sporting rivalry between Australia and the Kiwis.

3 hours ago, frank said:

The Aussies haven't helped the game here, they take all the best players. They could help out playing more tests but don't seem interested.

In the under 20 rugby league provincial level your either selected for Auckland Blues or Auckland White. Then if you graduate into the senior provincial rugby league team, you then play for Akarana Falcons. Not sure why dont they just use Auckland or Akarana for all rep teams. 

As soon as the Pirtek Kiwi vs. Gallagher Kangaroos Test series become a 50/50 proposition, with the holder of the ANZAC Trophy changing hands on a regular basis then we will start to see regular sell-out crowds in NZ and OZ.

The only fly in the ointment I see is that some of the players coming through the Kiwi system may put their hands up to play for Pacific Island nations, if they have PI heritage of course, however I don`t see this as being a significant impediment to the rise of Kiwi RL.

I think the Kiwis are very, very close to matching the Australians now, you only have to look at the forwards available to realise they are a very formidable team. Fisher-Harris, JWH, Bromwichs, Tapine, Smith, Proctor and loads more.

Once competitive ANZAC Tests will be bigger then the Bledisloe Cup and will replace the Bledisloe Cup as the main sporting rivalry between Australia and the Kiwis.

I love your optimism re sell out crowds but do you think the international game down there is big enough to do that? As I recall even the last WC final had a fair few empty seats? 

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I love your optimism re sell out crowds but do you think the international game down there is big enough to do that? As I recall even the last WC final had a fair few empty seats? 

It needs to be sold and hyped up by people though. At the moment the Australia see it as an inconvenience and the NRL would rather hype up the All Blacks.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d like to see the next Oceania Cup held exclusively in New Zealand, I think it’d be a great success with big attendances. Why on earth the New Zealand v Australia fixture in the last tournament was held in Wollongong I will never know. 

Archived