D W Stadium - Wigan Warriors

18 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Id buy them for that. 

You'd be being done.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the stadium is only a going concern with the 2 wigan teams using it. otherwise it will be built on. we've seen the problems coventry city have had since leaving highfield road. on another note does this mean wigan warriors get a points deduction for going into administration. wigan athletic have a 12 point deduction. this season if they finish outside relegation place, otherwise next season.

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Football administrations since 2013 - 3. 
Rugby League administrations since 2013 - 4. 

Really? I’m surprised about that but fair enough. It seems like there are loads in football, maybe before 2013 though (Pompey, Coventry, Port Vale, Rushden etc). 

Who are the teams out of interest, in both sports?

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Football administrations since 2013 - 3. 
Rugby League administrations since 2013 - 4. 

Ah I see what you’ve done. Between 2009 and 2013 there were 17 football administrations so you picked 2013 for your stat. 

Which 4 RL clubs have been into administration since the date you picked. Widnes, Bradford and who?

1 minute ago, kev p said:

the stadium is only a going concern with the 2 wigan teams using it. otherwise it will be built on. we've seen the problems coventry city have had since leaving highfield road. on another note does this mean wigan warriors get a points deduction for going into administration. wigan athletic have a 12 point deduction. this season if they finish outside relegation place, otherwise next season.

Who said anything about Wigan Rugby going into administration? They are nothing to do with the owners of Wigan Athletic. Also there are all kinds of covenants that restrict the land use and its hardly prime land anyway. 

10 minutes ago, kev p said:

The land on which the stadium sits is leased from the council that has covenants on the land restricting its use to football and rugby. So no development is going to happen.

As for your comments about points reduction, what are you wittering on about.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ah I see what you’ve done. Between 2009 and 2013 there were 17 football administrations so you picked 2013 for your stat. 

Which 4 RL clubs have been into administration since the date you picked. Widnes, Bradford and who?

Keighley. 

sell it to tesco and find an even more boring soulless ground than the one that replaced central park - thats how it goes isnt it?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

59 minutes ago, Padge said:

Interestingly reports state that Whelan sold the club for £22m (including Latics 85% share of the stadium) the stadium is currently valued at around £30m taking out the 15% stake owned by the council means Whelan sold the club for £3m less than the value of the share in the stadium, if true this means Wigan Athletic were valued at minus £3m.

£30m is just what Wigan Athletics accountants have valued it at though, in reality it is only worth what someone will pay for it as a sports ground, given the covenants on the land. Warriors apparently have a very good long term deal on the rental they pay so that restricts the rental income, which in turn will have a knock on effect with the value.

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Will there be a touch of schadenfreude from Warriors fans ? I believe they and Latics fans don't  get on.?

I’ve heard that too but I’m always amazed a town the size of Wigan can have two sports that don’t get on. Surely a lot of people must support both, even if a vocal minority don’t?

18 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

£30m is just what Wigan Athletics accountants have valued it at though, in reality it is only worth what someone will pay for it as a sports ground, given the covenants on the land. Warriors apparently have a very good long term deal on the rental they pay so that restricts the rental income, which in turn will have a knock on effect with the value.

That post was particularly tongue firmly in cheek, and yes anything is only worth what someone will pay. The £30m is only an accounting number yes, but when Whelan was struggling to offload the soccer club he had to put it on the books of Wigan Athletic to make them a more viable proposition. I suspect the Hong Kong buyers were unaware of the very restrictive covenants that were on the land or if the were aware didn't realise the implications. The stadium in real terms is probably worth nowhere near £30m, hence Latics were sold for £22m (if reports are right) including the 85% share in the stadium.

What also may have spooked the current owner is the fact that the rugby club took on the athletic stadium next door as a headquarters and training facility, it could be turned into a tidy rugby ground. If WIgan did that then they would have the DW owners over a barrel, they have already said (apparently) that it isn't viable without the rugby in it.

Wigan Rugby now have a rival facility next door which they use as a pre-match bar keeping people out of the stadium pre-match reducing stadium income from the bar and food.

Just now, Eddie said:

I’ve heard that too but I’m always amazed a town the size of Wigan can have two sports that don’t get on. Surely a lot of people must support both, even if a vocal minority don’t?

I have always found that attitude a lot more from the Football fans than the Rugby ones. A lot of it stems from the jealousy of older Latics fans from when the Latics were also rans in the lower leagues and from an hatred of Maurice Lindsay who was often quite condescending towards them. Some Latics fans aren't necessarily from Wigan either and are from surrounding towns and have allegiances to other RL clubs. Similarly a lot of Rugby fans support other Football clubs too. Also some Football fans just dont like Rugby full stop.

23 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The sale document from the ‘old’ owner to the ‘new’ owner (one and the same person if you ask me) states WW pay 10% of their gate as rent. Is that a very good deal? 

2 hours ago, Padge said:

The Council own the land that the stadium sits on and the stadium company lease the land. There are covenants on the land that state it can only be used for football and rugby. When Whelan sold up the council strengthened those covenants once they realised foreign investors were involved.

The fact the land could not be used for anything else will keep the developers at bay who may have wanted to grab the stadium, which sits in a large retail area, and develop the land for more retail. This also has the effect of lowering the value of the stadium

It was built for around £25m and is currently valued at around £30m.

Although the Stadium Company operates separately from the soccer team the Latics Club were given an 85% share when Whelan wanted to sell the stadium ( he effectively handed over his stadium shares to the soccer club) , this was to make buying the club more attractive to buyers as he was struggling to get any interest.

I’m not sure how the stadium will have appreciated in value but as you pointed out at a later post, presumably Whelan assigned this figure to inflate the sale price. I doubt it would stand up to an independent valuation 

2 hours ago, Padge said:

There is something shady about the way this chinese/hong kong consortium bought the club and then sold it off to a single owner.

There’s swathes of dirty money running through the economy, and football is as good a place for it as any

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The sale document from the ‘old’ owner to the ‘new’ owner (one and the same person if you ask me) states WW pay 10% of their gate as rent. Is that a very good deal? 

That's the deal and if they don't play they don't pay. However they get nothing out of the food and refreshment side.

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have always found that attitude a lot more from the Football fans than the Rugby ones. A lot of it stems from the jealousy of older Latics fans from when the Latics were also rans in the lower leagues and from an hatred of Maurice Lindsay who was often quite condescending towards them. Some Latics fans aren't necessarily from Wigan either and are from surrounding towns and have allegiances to other RL clubs. Similarly a lot of Rugby fans support other Football clubs too. Also some Football fans just dont like Rugby full stop.

It was Jack Robinson that was condescending to Latics, Latics fans blamed Lindsay as he was the better known figure. It mainly stemmed from a Latics Cup tie, they wanted to play it at Central Park and Jack Robinson said "no third rate soccer team is playing on Central Park". This turned into the urban myth that Lindsay had said it.

One Latics fan I know was absolutely adamant it was Lindsay and insisted that was why Latics and other soccer fans hate Lindsay, he had to eat humble pie when I pulled out a copy of the actual newspaper clipping quoting Robinson out of my pocket (I had come prepared).

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

It was Jack Robinson that was condescending to Latics, Latics fans blamed Lindsay as he was the better known figure. It mainly stemmed from a Latics Cup tie, they wanted to play it at Central Park and Jack Robinson said "no third rate soccer team is playing on Central Park". This turned into the urban myth that Lindsay had said it.

One Latics fan I know was absolutely adamant it was Lindsay and insisted that was why Latics and other soccer fans hate Lindsay, he had to eat humble pie when I pulled out a copy of the actual newspaper clipping quoting Robinson out of my pocket (I had come prepared).

I wasn't really referring to that. Lindsay was regularly condescending towards Latics and they hate him as a result. Stuff like this and his lovely little club comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGEpJ7oUzaE

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I wasn't really referring to that. Lindsay was regularly condescending towards Latics and they hate him as a result. Stuff like this and his lovely little club comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGEpJ7oUzaE

The one that gets quoted most often is Robison's "third rate" comment, that's why if I know I am going to be in the presence of rabid Latics fans I take a copy of the quote with me.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That seems a fair deal to be honest. No flat rent and no creaming off the bar profits. 

Sorry that was badly worded, WIgan Rugby get nothing from the bars, that is why they have set up a rival bar next door for fans pre-match.

Archived