D W Stadium - Wigan Warriors

9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

He hasn’t said he’s not. Possibility is still there. 

If he wanted to own Latics he wouldn't have sold them. What he has said is "I am going to have to see if I can help in any way, shape or form.”

I would say that that statement is basically saying I'll try to help but I ain't buying it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Padge said:

If he wanted to own Latics he wouldn't have sold them. What he has said is "I am going to have to see if I can help in any way, shape or form.”

I would say that that statement is basically saying I'll try to help but I ain't buying it.

Agreed.

If it's going to happen it will be a consortium.

If Whelan , the Ainscough's and Lenegan do get together  ( and they have had business dealings before ) then they certainly have the financial muscle. Martin Ainscough's crane hire group has to be worth the better part of £ 500 million alone......

10 minutes ago, del capo said:

Agreed.

If Whelan , the Ainscough's and Lenegan do get together  ( and they have had business dealings before ) then they certainly have the financial muscle. Martin Ainscough's crane hire group has to be worth the better part of £ 500 million alone......

The last line of the Wigan Club statement states "This initiative is led by Ian Lenagan, Darryl Eales and Gary Speakman."

All three have experience of running football clubs.

Just now, Futtocks said:

Seen that earlier, quite amusing.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I'd be concerned from a Warriors perspective about a conflict of interest if Lenegan and co bought Athletic. Given the stadium needs all the revenue it can get, and with Athletic owning 85%, there's a huge incentive to maximise this. However, the Warriors have just setup a Robin Park next door for the pre/post match hospitality which generates return directly to the Warriors. Clearly these 2 aspects are competing

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'd be concerned from a Warriors perspective about a conflict of interest if Lenegan and co bought Athletic. Given the stadium needs all the revenue it can get, and with Athletic owning 85%, there's a huge incentive to maximise this. However, the Warriors have just setup a Robin Park next door for the pre/post match hospitality which generates return directly to the Warriors. Clearly these 2 aspects are competing

If Lenegan did the right thing and the Latics share of the stadium was split 50/50, which should have always been the case until Whelan twigged that the Football club was worth diddly squat without it, then there would be no need to have pre/post match hospitality at Robin Park.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

If Lenegan did the right thing and the Latics share of the stadium was split 50/50, which should have always been the case until Whelan twigged that the Football club was worth diddly squat without it, then there would be no need to have pre/post match hospitality at Robin Park.

But Robin Park would still remain a cost burden to the Warriors then. 

The only beneficiaries of Lenegan and co buying Athletic would be Athletic, unless they did an asset strip/re-alignment

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That problem is easily solved Lenagan and co (Latics) give Lenagan and co (Wigan) a cut of their own bar takings in the stadium, Lenagan and co (Wigan) stops operating a rival bar next door (its only a temporary pop up and not a permanent feature) and encourages supporters to use the stadium facilities.

Just now, DoubleD said:

But Robin Park would still remain a cost burden to the Warriors then

Its primarily a training complex and houses what was at Central Park. The pre/post match hospitality there is essentially a bit of a make the best of a bad situation as they get no revenue from the DW.

12 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do two tiers of hospitality. First one at Robin Park where you have Pie and a Pint for £10 and then the proper higher end stuff in the ground. 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

But Robin Park would still remain a cost burden to the Warriors then

It is a lot more than a bar, it the main offices, training facility and also part of Central Park Academy, along with public pitches which they hire out.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Do two tiers of hospitality. First one at Robin Park where you have Pie and a Pint for £10 and then the proper higher end stuff in the ground. 

They have higher end stuff in Wigan? Is there really demand for that? Or do they have fancier pies? 

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

That problem is easily solved Lenagan and co (Latics) give Lenagan and co (Wigan) a cut of their own bar takings in the stadium, Lenagan and co (Wigan) stops operating a rival bar next door (its only a temporary pop up and not a permanent feature) and encourages supporters to use the stadium facilities.

Can you really see them doing this though?

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Can you really see them doing this though?

Oh yes, if that wasn't the plan there would be little point in doing it.

Latics were only given the stake in the stadium to make them sellable.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Oh yes, if that wasn't the plan there would be little point in doing it.

Latics were only given the stake in the stadium to make them sellable.

I'm just not convinced that Lenegan will be doing to this to benefit the Warriors..............other than ensuring another tenant remains at DW to keep the costs down

11 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm just not convinced that Lenegan will be doing to this to benefit the Warriors..............other than ensuring another tenant remains at DW to keep the costs down

🙄 you have no idea have you.

On 01/07/2020 at 14:12, Damien said:

I agree. I obviously want Wigan to buy it but a 25,000 seater stadium in the RL heartlands for events, with 2 sitting tenants too, should be a no brainer really. Sadly I doubt the RFL have the foresight. 

Let’s not get TheRFL involved ,this needs quick decisions.

Just now, Tre Cool said:

Imagine buying the best 2nd rower in the world AND the worst soccer club in the world in the same week.  Lucky Wigan.

Not quite sure how you make them the worst soccer club in the world from 16th in the championship.

1 hour ago, del capo said:

Agreed.

It’s great spending somebody else’s money innit.

10 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I said club not team

If the team is 16th in the championship having spent 8yrs in the  Premier  League and won the FA Cuo the club must be doing something right ,hence not the worst club in the World.In my opinion,

2 hours ago, Damien said:

That is in addition to losing £7.6 million the year before. The £9.2 million loss for the year to 30th June 2019 even includes making a profit of £3.75 million on player transfers. The Latics are no where near sustainable in its present form.

I think the football are working towards a model of developing talent to sell on at a profit, so I can see them being sustainable in time, but its never going to popular with the fans.

Last summer they bought Moore, Williams and Robinson, but for mistakes with the medical Robinson would have left in January for a profit of several million, will probably now leave in the summer for a profit, but a fraction of what it would have been.  Moore could go this summer for a decent return also, think they turned down a bid that would have doubled the money in January from memory.

Also got some very good youth players on the books, Spurs are rumoured to be after two of them for a knock down price, Geldhart and Weir, a few other England youth players coming through the ranks so they certainly seem to be on to something, but it all costs.

Archived