D W Stadium - Wigan Warriors

32 minutes ago, Jao 711 said:

If the team is 16th in the championship having spent 8yrs in the  Premier  League and won the FA Cuo the club must be doing something right ,hence not the worst club in the World.In my opinion,

Can't say I'm that interested to be honest. Wigan just strike me as a pretty dull little club in a pretty dull sport that's all.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Do two tiers of hospitality. First one at Robin Park where you have Pie and a Pint for £10 and then the proper higher end stuff in the ground. 

In the ground then, Pie, Chips, Mushy Peas (keep the Sponsors happy), Gravy and Two Pints.

21 minutes ago, shrek said:

I think the football are working towards a model of developing talent to sell on at a profit, so I can see them being sustainable in time, but its never going to popular with the fans.

Last summer they bought Moore, Williams and Robinson, but for mistakes with the medical Robinson would have left in January for a profit of several million, will probably now leave in the summer for a profit, but a fraction of what it would have been.  Moore could go this summer for a decent return also, think they turned down a bid that would have doubled the money in January from memory.

Also got some very good youth players on the books, Spurs are rumoured to be after two of them for a knock down price, Geldhart and Weir, a few other England youth players coming through the ranks so they certainly seem to be on to something, but it all costs.

Its not sustainable, they are losing millions every season with the model. Its also a complete gamble that you have the right manager, the right team and structure, and obviously most importantly buy the right players at the right time that can improve and be sold at profit. You are trying to strike gold every season and there are dozens of clubs in the same boat with very few big number transfers to strike big with. Wigan Athletic have been very lucky to have some great managers with all the stars aligning but it doesn't take much for such a model to fall apart.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its not sustainable, they are losing millions every season with the model. Its also a complete gamble that you have the right manager, the right team and structure, and obviously most importantly buy the right players at the right time that can improve and be sold at profit. You are trying to strike gold every season and there are dozens of clubs in the same boat with very few big number transfers to strike big with. Wigan Athletic have been very lucky to have some great managers with all the stars aligning but it doesn't take much for such a model to fall apart.

Disagree, after massive investment the academy seems to be producing players that are going to move on for decent money, the first team trading is different, but definitely the direction the club started to take last summer.

If I recall correctly Ken Davy did something similar in Huddersfield many years ago, buying the distressed soccer club whilst being the owner of the RL club. Once again they shared the ground which I suspect was an issue behind the purchase.

No harm came to either entity because of this.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, shrek said:

Disagree, after massive investment the academy seems to be producing players that are going to move on for decent money, the first team trading is different, but definitely the direction the club started to take last summer.

Its gambling pure and simple and putting all your eggs in one basket. I also disagree its the direction that was taken from last summer, trying to buy cheap and sell at profit has been what the club have done since the Dave Whelan days. Its also what many other clubs have done for years. There is absolutely nothing new about any of it. We'll agree to disagree.

37 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The last venture into soccer as a board member didn't go very well for Mr Lenagan.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/10350003.oxford-united-accounts-show-1million-loss/

But that isn't the whole story of his 10 year involvement and what actually happened when he sold his share, also it doesn't explain the state that Oxford United were in when he stepped in to save them.

Its like checking someone's bank balance the day before pay day and saying they are always skint because they don't have much money that day.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

20 hours ago, Jao 711 said:

If the team is 16th in the championship having spent 8yrs in the  Premier  League and won the FA Cuo the club must be doing something right ,hence not the worst club in the World.In my opinion,

It's doing better than Bury.  

1 hour ago, dkw said:

There`s a rumour Leneghan owes around £500k in stadium rental costs and that`s possibly why he`s using the purchase of the football club as a negotiating tool.

More than likely started by a bitter latics fan. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 07/07/2020 at 16:47, Damien said:

If Lenegan did the right thing and the Latics share of the stadium was split 50/50, which should have always been the case until Whelan twigged that the Football club was worth diddly squat without it, then there would be no need to have pre/post match hospitality at Robin Park.

Robin Park could still be used.  One option would be for "familes" with associated entrrtainments,   eg not a drinking den. 

To be honest, and being a bit nostalgic, they could recreate the the Sullivan Bar and the associated River Caves.  I believe a large team of experienced archeologists spent 12 months excavating the Caves before the Tesco car park paved it over.

On 07/07/2020 at 21:08, Padge said:

But that isn't the whole story of his 10 year involvement and what actually happened when he sold his share, also it doesn't explain the state that Oxford United were in when he stepped in to save them.

Its like checking someone's bank balance the day before pay day and saying they are always skint because they don't have much money that day.

Yes.Of course.Nor does it explain what the club was like after his 6 million pounds loan was returned and he left.

It didn't explain whether or not he appointed the manager Chris Wilder who went on to great success which he is still enjoys at Sheffield United.

Must know his stuff.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

32 minutes ago, JohnM said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I deny that I am putting together a consortium bid. 

Can I please not join your none consortium, so we cannot bid together.

15 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Robin Park could still be used.  One option would be for "familes" with associated entrrtainments,   eg not a drinking den. 

To be honest, and being a bit nostalgic, they could recreate the the Sullivan Bar and the associated River Caves.  I believe a large team of experienced archeologists spent 12 months excavating the Caves before the Tesco car park paved it over.

Wasn't archaeologists but an army germ warfare unit trying to make the site safe.

15 hours ago, Padge said:

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Wasn't archaeologists but an army germ warfare unit trying to make the site safe.

I thought they found some ancient inscriptions... "Murphiaris hic cacavit bene"

• 4 weeks later...

With Latics confirmed now as relegated the value of the club has just fallen and the stadium less viable, most interested parties bar one seem to have been sitting on their hands for now, I expect a flurry of activity over the next few days.

If Lenegan's consortium is viable, the time may just be right.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

With Latics confirmed now as relegated the value of the club has just fallen and the stadium less viable, most interested parties bar one seem to have been sitting on their hands for now, I expect a flurry of activity over the next few days.

If Lenegan's consortium is viable, the time may just be right.

Who was the consortium that pulled out? Was that Lenegans? 

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Who was the consortium that pulled out? Was that Lenegans? 

Nobody knows, but whoever it was they are still in they haven't withdrawn, they just didn't put down the £10m none returnable bond that the administrators wanted for exclusivity on negotiations.

Archived