D W Stadium - Wigan Warriors

16 minutes ago, my missus said:

the sipping down the league of the latics might be a blessing in disguise for everyone concerned

Not everyone. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/wigan-athletic-make-75-members-18556444

Maybe the town needs both clubs doing as well as they can? I guess one Wigan club can't afford to independently run a 25,000 capacity stadium.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

But how much is the council stake in LSV worth to the council compared the 15% they own in the DW? The LSV is a satellite stadium built to primarily service the local community and is less than half the size of the DW. It's relative value may therefore be much smaller.

Not to mention (so I won't 😀 it's lower contribution to the coucil's income ftom business rates.  I'm sure someone on here must know the figures. 

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not to mention (so I won't 😀 it's lower contribution to the coucil's income ftom business rates.  I'm sure someone on here must know the figures. 

I'm sure someone is busily researching it right now.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A move to the LSV could be a good thing for Wigan IMO, the DW stadium is too big for them with the exception of games against Saints. If they played their home games at Leigh and had some ambition they could take their Saints home game to The City Of Manchester Stadium.

Or Old Trafford, they’d sell that out twice over. 

26 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You don't know, not like you to keep quiet if you know something John.

Anyway all I am saying if Wiggin were to play out of the LSV it may save them, the council and the ratepayers some money, I and neither do you know till the maths are done. 

The borough doesn't need two rugby stadiums there's a little over 6 miles between the towns and 12,000 capacity will do for Wigan's recent annual average attendances.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, my missus said:

why does the LSV offer much more than the DW?

It would be convenient to have both the SL club and the feeder club at the same stadium, woudn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

It would be convenient to have both the SL club and the feeder club at the same stadium, woudn't it?

Yes, double headers at the DW, with Leigh in the championship as curtain raiser. 

Let's remind people of a few things pointed out in the early days of this.

Wigan Council lease the land the stadium sits on to the stadium company/owners.

Wigan Council have strict covenants restricting the use of the land to the sports of rugby and football.

The covenants were tightened when Whelan sold to foreign owners.

The chances of the council allowing the stadium to be sold off for development other than sport are zero.

Now the current situation.

At least one of the five bidders has dropped and a second the administrators are unsure about.

Nobody knows who they are, well except the administrators and probably some people in the council as 15% shareholders.

The administrators have said that the drop in division makes it more saleable as next years wage bill will be a lot less, and that is were the massive overspends come from.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

18 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Old Bramley fans get a sour taste at the mention of Covenants ' if sold only to be used for sport and recreation ' 

Wigan Councils legal team reviewed the covenants and tightened them when foreign owners took over. Did you miss that.

Modern covenants don't have all the loop holes of ancient one's that can be exploited easily.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You know what people are like, creatures of habit, don't like change, get their money's worth.

So why go to Headingley?

2 hours ago, Padge said:

Wigan Councils legal team reviewed the covenants and tightened them when foreign owners took over. Did you miss that.

Modern covenants don't have all the loop holes of ancient one's that can be exploited easily.

Suspected the council would have strict controls over planning / use - great news.

Didn't realise the land was owned by the council and the SMC only had a leasehold interest - even better news.

Archived