Ottawa Coach

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

The forty20 article does mention a current championship assistant coach as the new Ottowa assistant coach.

That would be Jack Howieson,who is now at Dewsbury, and was at Hemel Hempstead when they were in League 1 before the 'licence' was transferred to Ottawa.

It did seem a certainty at the start - as Dean Thomas was also going to Ottawa - but then Jack Howieson went to Dewsbury to work with Lee Greenwood.

The alleged new head coach for New York is more of a shock.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

With everything that is going on I find it astonishing that the Ottawa bid is still going forward. As things stand professional sport and international travel is still banned in Ontario. But it seems it is indeed going ahead, and this would be a great hire for all the reasons mentioned. 

Ontario is slowly reopening. The Blue Jays are leaving Florida and returning home to get ready for the baseball season.

Toronto is apparently going to be selected as a hub for the NHL season.

The catch for the NHL is of course is that it's like Hotel California - once you check in you can never leave.

On 01/07/2020 at 18:16, Oldbear said:

I think if Rowley is appointed you can forget any idea of any Canadians being part of this, he seems to have a lot of past form, both in his seeming lack of interest in player development and in his obsession in putting out the strongest team each week, leading to uninteresting blow out games and player fatigue at the end of the season. Also as many have posted in the past, he has this ability to make his teams disliked by the rest of the RL world. Please let it be Laurent!

I think it will be just like Toronto you may have a couple of Canadian's in for League 1 but as soon as they are out of there i cant see many and maybe none on the roster.  IMO i dont think many Canadian's will come through until the game is being played in schools and there are a number of teams playing there.

22 hours ago, SL17 said:

Plenty French players en-route then!

Escare and Gigot, perhaps?  Incidentally, I have absolutely no inside knowledge; that is off-the-cuff speculation!

5 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

I think it will be just like Toronto you may have a couple of Canadian's in for League 1 but as soon as they are out of there i cant see many and maybe none on the roster.  IMO i dont think many Canadian's will come through until the game is being played in schools and there are a number of teams playing there.

I sort of suspect that too, but at least if the coach is prepared to sign 4-5 and give them game time against the lower ranked L1 teams then there’s a chance of finding 1-3 that could make it, if all you do is put out your best 17 against West Wales then you run up the score, but for what? I would prefer them to play West Wales with 4 Canadians in the game day squad and win by say 10-12, at least that way you are trying to really develop something.

10 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I sort of suspect that too, but at least if the coach is prepared to sign 4-5 and give them game time against the lower ranked L1 teams then there’s a chance of finding 1-3 that could make it, if all you do is put out your best 17 against West Wales then you run up the score, but for what? I would prefer them to play West Wales with 4 Canadians in the game day squad and win by say 10-12, at least that way you are trying to really develop something.

I wonder what the relationship will be with TWP? A dual-reg set up would allow TWP an opportunity for player development in league one with Canadian players.

They could at least play in home games without the visa problems that Quinn Ngawati had to play in the U.K.

54 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Yes but once Ottawa fly through League 1 like they will with the large amount of money they will do exactly the same as Toronto did and dump the Canadian's and bring in ex super league players and players from the NRL.  There is no progression in Canada because apart from these 2 teams there is nothing you need to build from the bottom to bring players on just like a house you need foundations before you can put the roof on.  Unless more teams spring up to play against each other you will have to wait for another side to be formed with big money before any Canadian's get a chance but again only for a year or 2 before they are dropped for players from other countries.

9 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

Yes but once Ottawa fly through League 1 like they will with the large amount of money they will do exactly the same as Toronto did and dump the Canadian's and bring in ex super league players and players from the NRL.  There is no progression in Canada because apart from these 2 teams there is nothing you need to build from the bottom to bring players on just like a house you need foundations before you can put the roof on.  Unless more teams spring up to play against each other you will have to wait for another side to be formed with big money before any Canadian's get a chance but again only for a year or 2 before they are dropped for players from other countries.

Guess we should just give up trying then, maybe Ottawa should have gone to the other code. Hardly a “welcome to RL” message.

10 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

Beat before you start.

Why would they need to ditch all the players they win League 1 with?  Seems a poor reward for their success.

If that's the norm at other clubs then I'd that's a pretty big impediment to player development and retention that they supposedly seem desperate to improve. 

20 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

You need to be very realistic, how many Canadian players do you expect Toronto and Ottawa to have produced in such a short time? It will take time, the Wolfpack and Aces will raise the profile of RL higher than it has ever been and over time this will lead to a top down effect that will produce more local players 

Archived