General British perception of RL in Oz

I think UK RL fans enjoy the NRL and can see how tough the comp is but SL is a far better watch. We also love the fact that RL is so big in Oz but cant understand why they are so insular.

The Storm V Roosters game the other day was great to watch but give me Wigan V Saints in front of 24000+ on Easter Weekend or Leeds V Wire in front of a big noisy crowd under the lights at Headingley on a Friday night any day of the week.

I used to go to Roosters games when I lived in Oz and i loved it, but nothing makes up for the UKs game day atmosphere and attacking Rugby.

Just about every SL player who goes to the NRL these days makes it so SL isnt that far behind ( Hodson goes from 4th best in his position in SL to top 2 in the NRL just by moving over there)

Even Tomkins was pretty good in the NRL but the Aussies wanted him to fail and they made sure his legacy says he did - he didnt.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think UK RL fans enjoy the NRL and can see how tough the comp is but SL is a far better watch. We also love the fact that RL is so big in Oz but cant understand why they are so insular.

The Storm V Roosters game the other day was great to watch but give me Wigan V Saints in front of 24000+ on Easter Weekend or Leeds V Wire in front of a big noisy crowd under the lights at Headingley on a Friday night any day of the week.

I used to go to Roosters games when I lived in Oz and i loved it, but nothing makes up for the UKs game day atmosphere and attacking Rugby.

Just about every SL player who goes to the NRL these days makes it so SL isnt that far behind ( Hodson goes from 4th best in his position in SL to top 2 in the NRL just by moving over there)

Even Tomkins was pretty good in the NRL but the Aussies wanted him to fail and they made sure his legacy says he did - he didnt.

I disagree with Hodgson being top 2. He’s maybe the 4th or 5th best in his position currently. Maybe last year he was top 2 but Harry Grant and Cameron McInnis have surpassed him this year. I think SL while great to watch is still a long way behind NRL in most departments, you raise that almost every English player that goes over there succeeds but I think that’s untrue. Maybe more like half succeed and they’re usually England’s best. Kalyn Watkins, Ryan Hall (He came over too late), Dan sarginson etc. couldnt crack the starting sides. NRL rejects like Jackson Hastings, Lachlan Coote and Blake Austin are considered some of the best players in SL but weren’t really stars in the NRL. I like watching SL games because the atmosphere is great and there feels like there’s twice as more people in the stadium, whereas aussies are more subdued. The quality of SL though is shocking at most times, especially some of the defending I see. Try’s seem to come too easily in SL. In my opinion quality wise it’s on par with the Intrust Super Cup, that’s not saying it’s less entertaining than NRL though. I find the ISC more entertaining than the NRL but the NRL is the tip top. You’ll be surprised just how many aussies actually watch SL when it’s on, we aren’t as insular as it seems. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Bronco said:

I disagree with Hodgson being top 2. He’s maybe the 4th or 5th best in his position currently. Maybe last year he was top 2 but Harry Grant and Cameron McInnis have surpassed him this year. I think SL while great to watch is still a long way behind NRL in most departments, you raise that almost every English player that goes over there succeeds but I think that’s untrue. Maybe more like half succeed and they’re usually England’s best. Kalyn Watkins, Ryan Hall (He came over too late), Dan sarginson etc. couldnt crack the starting sides. NRL rejects like Jackson Hastings, Lachlan Coote and Blake Austin are considered some of the best players in SL but weren’t really stars in the NRL. I like watching SL games because the atmosphere is great and there feels like there’s twice as more people in the stadium, whereas aussies are more subdued. The quality of SL though is shocking at most times, especially some of the defending I see. Try’s seem to come too easily in SL. In my opinion quality wise it’s on par with the Intrust Super Cup, that’s not saying it’s less entertaining than NRL though. I find the ISC more entertaining than the NRL but the NRL is the tip top. You’ll be surprised just how many aussies actually watch SL when it’s on, we aren’t as insular as it seems. 

Blake Austin isn’t an NRL reject. He’s more a journeyman who chose the SL instead.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Blake Austin isn’t an NRL reject. He’s more a journeyman who chose the SL instead.

Pretty sure Austin was told by the raiders he didn’t have a spot in the first 17 and was free to negotiate with other clubs. He chose SL because he had no other option.

43 minutes ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Pretty sure Austin was told by the raiders he didn’t have a spot in the first 17 and was free to negotiate with other clubs. He chose SL because he had no other option.

He’s still good enough for the NRL. He’s no NRL reject because he couldn’t stay in Canberra. No doubt he looked at all options and simply chose the adventurous one.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

He’s still good enough for the NRL. He’s no NRL reject because he couldn’t stay in Canberra. No doubt he looked at all options and simply chose the adventurous one.

I don’t think he is good enough, he struggled defensively and in attack in his last year in the NRL. He wasn’t wanted by Canberra and was dumped in favour of Sezer and Wighton in the halves.

Lachlan Coote and Blake Austin have 288 NRL games between them and the former is a Grand Final winner.

I agree that their standing in Super League is higher than it was in Australia but they cannot be described as NRL rejects.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Try’s seem to come too easily in SL. In my opinion quality wise it’s on par with the Intrust Super Cup, that’s not saying it’s less entertaining than NRL though. I find the ISC more entertaining than the NRL but the NRL is the tip top. You’ll be surprised just how many aussies actually watch SL when it’s on, we aren’t as insular as it seems. 

NRL defence is better but that doesn't always make for a better watch

I enjoy the NRL but SL is more open/lateral and for that makes it a better watch. The crowds are noisier with chanting which creates atmosphere both on telly and at the ground 

I don't agree SL is on par with ISC....ive watched plenty of that via Watch NRL and it would at best be bottom 4 SL /top 4 championship

Roosters have marmalised everyone since lockdown (Storm game excepted).... People saying they are potentially the strongest ever NRL side.... Well they only beat Saints by a score this year who had a new coach. This doesn't suggest there is a vast gap 

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Lachlan Coote and Blake Austin have 288 NRL games between them and the former is a Grand Final winner.

I agree that their standing in Super League is higher than it was in Australia but they cannot be described as NRL rejects.

Agreed..... Both would get an NRL contract easily 

3 hours ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Fake news... He was offered a big contract by Raiders but wanted to play in England..... Lots of Aussies have said they want to do it for the experience - I guess to travel in Europe too etc

56 minutes ago, Aussie Bronco said:

I don’t think he is good enough, he struggled defensively and in attack in his last year in the NRL. He wasn’t wanted by Canberra and was dumped in favour of Sezer and Wighton in the halves.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/blake-austin-comments-on-turning-down-a-2-million-contract-from-the-raiders-92671

1 hour ago, Aussie Bronco said:

He was wanted by Canberra but he knocked back their offer. The Raiders then went on to shift money within their salary cap elsewhere.

Austin is NRL quality. He most likely just chose the SL over other NRL teams. And why not? He gets to work and play overseas with his family. What a fun life experience for them all.

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Fake news... He was offered a big contract by Raiders but wanted to play in England..... Lots of Aussies have said they want to do it for the experience - I guess to travel in Europe too etc

It isn't fake news. You seem to have fallen for the narrative that many Aussies spout when they come here. If Austin had got a gig at another decent NRL club he'd have stayed.

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

He was wanted by Canberra but he knocked back their offer. The Raiders then went on to shift money within their salary cap elsewhere.

Exactly he tried to play hardball and was left high and dry when Canberra decided to spend the money elsewhere. I get a feeling similar may have happened with Bateman in that he thought he was going to get vastly more at other NRL clubs but didn't. He was then left with the Canberra offer and decided to come back to Wigan as a result.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Exactly he tried to play hardball and was left high and dry when Canberra decided to spend the money elsewhere. I get a feeling similar may have happened with Bateman in that he thought he was going to get vastly more at other NRL clubs but didn't. He was then left with the Canberra offer and decided to come back to Wigan as a result.

Before the Raiders v St George game a local Canberra radio station was speculating that Bateman went back to the Raiders but the Raiders has already shifted money and the initial offer was gone.

12 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

If you feel that way you can always watch the Qld and NSW Competitions, pretty open, good attack, sometimes poor Defense. A bit like Super League
Ryan Hall FAIL

Kallum Watkins FAIL

Tomkins failed in every way, don’t bother spouting “stats” he was hailed as the English wonder kid on a massive transfer fee that was going to get the NZ Warriors to the finals and better.

He signed a deal and did little to impress in his first year, his best play was to offload the ball to a team mate.

He barely played in his second year through injury then cried off and went home,

Out of ten he should have been 8+
He ended up being a 4, The Warriors a team that are normally were glad to see him get homesick and go home, what does that say?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

It isn't fake news. You seem to have fallen for the narrative that many Aussies spout when they come here. If Austin had got a gig at another decent NRL club he'd have stayed.

That is of course your opinion he would 

He has also talked extensively if the opportunities his 4 kids can get here over Aus

12 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I’ve attended  4 live SL matches. Each one had more atmosphere than the vast majority of all the NRL games I’ve attended. It’s just a lot of fun at SL games.

Austin thought he was worth more than Canberra were paying and put himself on the market, his form had him playing reserve grade at times.

He took the Warrington offer.

He is a slightly better than average NRL player he talked himself up as if he was Thurston.

3 hours ago, Copa said:

Every interview he had suggested this was his reasoning 

In fairness I respect peoples right to not believe him but I personally do

Retired Aussie players who had spells here speak very highly about how they enjoyed their time here. When people like Meninga are saying its a great experience people listen 

E. G. I would say GI is coming here for the experience and not the money

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The kangaroos are nothing as a brand because they just dont play. Nobody knows who they are, nobody cares about their record. Thats why they are desperate to get a leg up from the All Blacks. 

The NRL here gets less financially that Super Rugby. Mainly because it has done absolutely nothing to build an audience and a market despite there being a proven market here. They can't see past their noses and are as insular and parochial as the worst aspects of British RL

Give it up mate.

You are like a broken Record that spouts bull ######.

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

If you feel that way you can always watch the Qld and NSW Competitions, pretty open, good attack, sometimes poor Defense. A bit like Super League
Ryan Hall FAIL

Kallum Watkins FAIL

Tomkins failed in every way, don’t bother spouting “stats” he was hailed as the English wonder kid on a massive transfer fee that was going to get the NZ Warriors to the finals and better.

He signed a deal and did little to impress in his first year, his best play was to offload the ball to a team mate.

He barely played in his second year through injury then cried off and went home,

Out of ten he should have been 8+
He ended up being a 4, The Warriors a team that are normally were glad to see him get homesick and go home, what does that say?

Ryan Hall went to Super League when he was way past his best and is now almost like an extra prop on the wing. He was pretty average in Super League for quite some time before going. Ryan Hall from a decade ago was one of the best wingers in the world and indeed I remember him scoring 2 cracking tries against Australia at Wembley in 2011.

Kallum Watkins I don't know anyone who would have thought differently. Again he wasnt too impressive in Super League for quite some time, has had injury problems and has never fulfilled his true potential an dthe promise he showed when he first came on the scene. 

Tomkins was always going to struggle a little in the NRL compared to Super League because his strengths weren't suited to the competition there. He was never going to just waltz through NRL defences and if he cant do that then the rest of his game is pretty average.

The first two in particular were just strange signings by NRL clubs at the time and say little about Super League. The third in Tomkins seemed more like an attempt in the NZ Warriors to get a big name and playmaker, the kind that they cannot attract from Australia, and it didn't turn out like they hoped.

4 hours ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Or maybe he chose Warrington as they offered him the most money using the marquee player allowance on him. 

Doesn't mean he had no other nrl options.

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ryan Hall went to Super League when he was way past his best and is now almost like an extra prop on the wing. He was pretty average in Super League for quite some time before going. Ryan Hall from a decade ago was one of the best wingers in the world and indeed I remember him scoring 2 cracking tries against Australia at Wembley in 2011.

Kallum Watkins I don't know anyone who would have thought differently. Again he wasnt too impressive in Super League for quite some time, has had injury problems and has never fulfilled his true potential an dthe promise he showed when he first came on the scene. 

Tomkins was always going to struggle a little in the NRL compared to Super League because his strengths weren't suited to the competition there. He was never going to just waltz through NRL defences and if he cant do that then the rest of his game is pretty average.

The first two in particular were just strange signings by NRL clubs at the time and say little about Super League. The third in Tomkins seemed more like an attempt in the NZ Warriors to get a big name and playmaker, the kind that they cannot attract from Australia, and it didn't turn out like they hoped.

Fair play

Archived