The tip of the Iceberg

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I take it you mean me? 

Anyway, of all the many reasons to dislike football (ticket prices, fan behaviour, player behaviour, the pundits and commentators etc), I find it strange that so many focus on the earnings of the elite as a way to knock the game and to dislike it when the elite in all industries earn huge (comparative) amounts. 

It’s a completely different topic now and I’m not accusing anyone here but the attitude some Rugby League fans have around Football is embarrassing.

Football has always been my #1 sport, ahead of RL and NFL. However maybe you’re too young to remember, or maybe I’m turning into a grumpy old git, but it used to be loads better. 

I no longer have any interest in football, I find it tedious in comparison to RL and as for the salary's paid what I have difficulty with is that for the amount  they are paid and training they do they should all be cutting edge, no mishit passes, sky high shots on goal, goalkeeping error's, defender's out of position etc. If you pay someone top dollar you expect them to be the best of the best and perform so which is obviously not the case if you manage to sit through a game.

On 02/07/2020 at 10:43, Eddie said:

It’s not football the game that I dislike, because it’s great, but it’s the opulence in the top flight, and much of the championship that turns me off. 

Elite sport is opulent.  Tennis players make in an obscene amount of money... But that's all because punters want to watch.  Stand up comedians make obscene amounts of money (at least until 4 months ago) .... And they aren't even funny.

27 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Elite sport is opulent.  Tennis players make in an obscene amount of money... But that's all because punters want to watch.  Stand up comedians make obscene amounts of money (at least until 4 months ago) .... And they aren't even funny.

Agreed, if people want to pay the extortionate prices to watch football or tennis then good on them, I don’t though. 

15 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

players paid millions but can't time a tackle and are incapable of hitting an open goal.

Not sure sport is for you then. 

I’ve seen some of the best rugby league players on the planet in the last twenty years, some potentially in the conversation about best of all time, drop balls, miss tackles, kick out on the full, kick balls straight down the throat of an opponent and in the shape of Sonny Bill Williams’, bomb an easy try at the Halliwell Jones. 

Errors happen at the top end of sport. It’s a given. Using someone’s wage as a stick to beat them with is just odd. 

It's all about market forces and popularity.  Big film stars and rock stars earn millions from producing crud that I don't watch or listen to, I don't begrudge them the money. If the studios are milking it in then why shouldn't the stars who create the wealth get their share. Same with  footballers,  they earn big time because their sport is global,  it would just be plain wrong for Sky or whoever to put in billions to football and the players not getting rewarded for creating the interest that Sky are capitalising on. What really is the crux of the dislike some have for football is that they feel , possibly rightly,  that RL should be getting these rewards and should be global,  not football.  Well as far as I know football didn't expand throughout the world by putting a gun to people's heads and say play our game or else, but got off their collective butts and put the work in , while most other sports sat on their backsides and did naff all.

I'm sure if RL ever got global no one on here would begrudge them top dollar. 

Archived