RLWC2021 BBC TV Coverage

The BBC is to show every game in full from the men's, women's and wheelchair competitions:

https://www.totalrl.com/bbc-to-show-every-minute-of-every-game-from-2021-world-cup/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=bbc-to-show-every-minute-of-every-game-from-2021-world-cup

Hopefully the WC organisers are pushing for this to include some BBC1/BBC2 coverage of the women's and wheelchair competitions as opposed to purely via the red button or online.

No details yet of any international broadcasts or how they are going about selling the rights - needs to be shown in places like Greece and Jamaica.

Will the redundancies within the BBC regional staff announced today have any effect upon this I wonder?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Will the redundancies within the BBC regional staff announced today have any effect upon this I wonder?

Don't think so as, I think, that's linked specific news and regional current affairs programming.

I mean, it probably is bad news for rugby league communities in general, just not for the RLWC TV coverage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I remember reading originally that the plan was for all mens games to be available live but only half on main tv channels. Hopefully this builds on that.

This is great news. They'd already committed to broadcasting all the men's matches, but even if the women's and wheelchair matches are only on live stream, this is still the best RWC coverage we've ever seen in the UK. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, the Beeb are going to film the games on iPhones and stream them on YouTube.

That’s better than their original proposal of having someone draw the action on a ream of A4 paper then flick through the ream quickly - this would be shown on match day around 11.45pm on regional TV in Yorkshire and Lancashire and Nationwide in 2024.

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What was the big announcement of a partnership between RLWC and IRL? 

Haven't a clue what they were telling me there tbh. 

More detail here:

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/231/rlwc2021-&-irl-announce-historic-broadcast-partnership-to-put-fans-at-centre-of-the-world-cup-action

If I'm reading it correctly RLWC2021 and IRL will work together to produce the coverage, which the BBC will buy and broadcast domestically across their platforms. The international broadcast rights will be sold separately by RLW2021 and IRL. Presumably IRL are bringing something to the party in relation to the international sales.

51 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

More detail here:

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/231/rlwc2021-&-irl-announce-historic-broadcast-partnership-to-put-fans-at-centre-of-the-world-cup-action

If I'm reading it correctly RLWC2021 and IRL will work together to produce the coverage, which the BBC will buy and broadcast domestically across their platforms. The international broadcast rights will be sold separately by RLW2021 and IRL. Presumably IRL are bringing something to the party in relation to the international sales.

If your reading is right, I wonder if the BBC would object to George Riley being used, now he is back within the RL media fold.

Archived