Driffield (E Yorks) rugby league (1900)

Hi - calling any historical experts. I played for Driffield Rugby League for a couple of seasons around 1990-1992 (club didn't last much longer). Sometime after that I was told Driffield did play rugby league historically. The well established Rugby Union club has a formation date of 1926 which is odd as was certainly played in the 1800's.

I have found Driffield playing Hull Kingston Rovers "A" in 1895 (Driffield winning 5-0) at which point Hull KR are still a rugby union club (The moved across in 1897 I believe). However I have also found a cutting from 1900 which seems to be under the "Northern Union" section of the paper beating KR "A" in a cup final at the Boulevard. I dont seem to be able to find much after that to see when they left and became Union again.

Is there a record of teams registered to the Northern Union or rugby league and for how long anywhere?

1895.JPG

1900.JPG

Archived