Bateman signs for...

Reading his statement , and how family and Wigan played such a big part ... is the contact situation a smokescreen ? What if Canberra had given him what he wanted , and what other NRL clubs could probably have given him ? Was he coming home anyway . It’s a bit contradictory 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Reading his statement , and how family and Wigan played such a big part ... is the contact situation a smokescreen ? What if Canberra had given him what he wanted , and what other NRL clubs could probably have given him ? Was he coming home anyway . It’s a bit contradictory 

I don't think so. From what I've heard he was offered something from Canberra (700 or so) said he wanted 900 so turned it down. Couldn't get 900 elsewhere so went back to Canberra who said it is now 600

Have to say, for our World Cup hopes I was hoping he would stay out there! 

On 04/07/2020 at 11:30, bamfordsbeans said:

I would imagine he will take a massive pay cut.

Despite the marquee signings,only Widdop is paid over £150k a year.

Unless we count the £2.6M a year that Sonny Bill Williams is paid.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If it's family reasons then that's hard to criticise or overturn but if not he's utterly mad to walk away from the Raiders just as they're building something really special. He doesn't seem to have conducted himself very well during the process, for sure.

I have a feeling he'll come to regret the decision. Surely bossing a Super League with maybe 4 quality sides at best (which he's already done anyway) wouldn't get anywhere near being a pivotal part of a drought-ending unit in a much tougher and more high profile competition?

A shame for the English game in general, I think. Until we somehow manage to get a strong, well-balanced and progressive comp over here we need our best players plying their trade in NRL.

12 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wigan have paid over the odds for Bateman at £300k a year. He’s not good enough to be a marquee player, he was over hyped in the NRL last year as the Aussies had never heard of him and thought a half decent player had come out of nowhere.

Ah come on, he won Dally M 2nd rower of the year in his first NRL season. He absolutely smashed it. Amazing leg drive in the tackle and frequently had players hanging off him. What always surprised me about him was that his conditioning never looked that great. He wasn't chubby but certainly not muscular either. To the naked eye it seemed weird where he got his power from. I've just realised I'm making a good case for him being a drugs cheat ha ha ha! I'm being facetious obviously. He was without a doubt the best 2nd rower in NRL last year for my money. Clearly he's a huge loss to the Raiders but I just think he's making a poor career choice.

Will be interesting to see if he comes back for the Raiders before he exits. As good a player as he is, my instinct is that his move and the way it has been conducted will have soured him amongst his teammates and he'll be left out in the cold. Hope I'm wrong though as it would be good to see him exit NRL properly and tbh I think he owes the Raiders a little also.

2 hours ago, DeadShotKeen said:

Ah come on, he won Dally M 2nd rower of the year in his first NRL season. He absolutely smashed it. Amazing leg drive in the tackle and frequently had players hanging off him. What always surprised me about him was that his conditioning never looked that great. He wasn't chubby but certainly not muscular either. To the naked eye it seemed weird where he got his power from. I've just realised I'm making a good case for him being a drugs cheat ha ha ha! I'm being facetious obviously. He was without a doubt the best 2nd rower in NRL last year for my money. Clearly he's a huge loss to the Raiders but I just think he's making a poor career choice.

Will be interesting to see if he comes back for the Raiders before he exits. As good a player as he is, my instinct is that his move and the way it has been conducted will have soured him amongst his teammates and he'll be left out in the cold. Hope I'm wrong though as it would be good to see him exit NRL properly and tbh I think he owes the Raiders a little also.

Does conditioning have to look great? Perhaps he has freakish power that isn't apparent.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Archived