The inside story. The last time GB won the ashes

Interesting read! How I long for those days again, 61,000 at an international in Australia, beating them in their own backyard, or beating them at all for that matter. Bring on the World Cup! 

Hull Daily Mail did a piece on the 1970 tour as well. 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/great-britain-lions-tour-1970-4291753

The best part of that report is not about the past but the future, Johnny Whitley now 89 says:-

"We need to get more strength in depth in our club football, start again in the schools and bring players through.

“And we need young players that haven’t been brainwashed - somebody like the Alan Hardisty or Alex Murphys of this world.

“All players need coaching and to have a sense of direction, but it’s no good being brainwashed into certain systems.”

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Interesting read! How I long for those days again, 61,000 at an international in Australia, beating them in their own backyard, or beating them at all for that matter. Bring on the World Cup! 

Hull Daily Mail did a piece on the 1970 tour as well. 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/great-britain-lions-tour-1970-4291753

Or how long before we play an Ashes again! 17 years and counting. I was really looking forward to this years series.

I had a job at St. Vincents Hospital about 20 years ago and I used to bump into a bloke in the lift sometimes , we used to just say G`day but never chatted. He was literally a man mountain, the sort of bloke if he got hold of you ,you would really be in trouble. I bought a RL retro book a couple of years ago and was poring over all the great old photos and there he was....Cliff Watson. Jeez  I wish I had of known then who it was . The people he played with and against  and some of the games that he  played in. Third Test victory against the Aussies and cheered off by the Australian crowd. Does it get any better.

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well yeah that's true, i was looking forward to this series more than any other for quite some time. 

Yeh . You felt it was a live series this time 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The best part of that report is not about the past but the future, Johnny Whitley now 89 says:-

"We need to get more strength in depth in our club football, start again in the schools and bring players through.

“And we need young players that haven’t been brainwashed - somebody like the Alan Hardisty or Alex Murphys of this world.

“All players need coaching and to have a sense of direction, but it’s no good being brainwashed into certain systems.”

100% correct.

With all the modern ways, sports science related degrees it still takes a 90 year old man to identify the basic necessity.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

50 years ago , wow 

Makes me feel very old, I remember how proud I felt at the time then the illusion was shattered at the World Cup Final 3 months later, lot's of grudges were played out there.

Sadly I don't think I will see another Ashes victory in my lifetime, the physical aspect we always had over the Aussies through player's occupations has been negated.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Or how long before we play an Ashes again! 17 years and counting. I was really looking forward to this years series.

They need to get The Ashes on a four year cycle. If the Aussies don't want to host it right now, just play it in England every four years.

A great listen that

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 05/07/2020 at 01:46, Clogiron said:

Makes me feel very old, I remember how proud I felt at the time then the illusion was shattered at the World Cup Final 3 months later, lot's of grudges were played out there.

Sadly I don't think I will see another Ashes victory in my lifetime, the physical aspect we always had over the Aussies through player's occupations has been negated.

Don`t despair, I honestly believe the Aussies are getting more and more beatable. With the rise and rise of Islander and Kiwi players in the NRL,  Australia is getting a bit skinny in key positions. Front row is the best example , nearly all the top frontrowers are either Kiwis or Islanders. Especially with many declaring their allegiance to their home country.

23 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Don`t despair, I honestly believe the Aussies are getting more and more beatable. With the rise and rise of Islander and Kiwi players in the NRL,  Australia is getting a bit skinny in key positions. Front row is the best example , nearly all the top frontrowers are either Kiwis or Islanders. Especially with many declaring their allegiance to their home country.

That's been the English Soccer dilemma these past few years, allegedly the greatest league in the World yet because it's stacked with overseas player's even down into the lower leagues the National team has been rubbish, when there was more antipodean player's here it was even used as a excuse for British RLs failures.

19 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

That's been the English Soccer dilemma these past few years, allegedly the greatest league in the World yet because it's stacked with overseas player's even down into the lower leagues the National team has been rubbish, when there was more antipodean player's here it was even used as a excuse for British RLs failures.

A very good analogy.

On 04/07/2020 at 16:46, Clogiron said:

Interesting point. It was before my time but is that why we used to beat the Aussies?

In my life Australia have always seemed physically superior, whether that be the leaps they made in the 80's or more latterly the generally superior athletes, so its interesting to hear that players occupations played a part in giving us the edge in the part time days. I can certainly understand how physically demanding jobs like mining may have naturally built strength allied to a players RL training and a certain mental toughness.

Archived