Will Ottawa become France's 3rd pro team?

On the back of the announcement of Laurent Frayssinous being confirmed as the Ottawa Aces coach their are plenty of advantages for French Rugby League. 

Laurent has already spoken about the possibility of having their pre season training camp in France and utilising his contacts for player recruitment. 

I'm guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least another 7-10 french players maybe more sign for Ottawa which would increase the number of their players within a full time structure. Whichever level that is it can't be a bad thing for French Rugby League. Someone like Thomas Lasvenes would benefit greatly from being involved with Ottawa. 

Gonna be interesting to see how their recruitment evolves in the lead up to next season. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

On the back of the announcement of Laurent Frayssinous being confirmed as the Ottawa Aces coach their are plenty of advantages for French Rugby League. 

Laurent has already spoken about the possibility of having their pre season training camp in France and utilising his contacts for player recruitment. 

I'm guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least another 7-10 french players maybe more sign for Ottawa which would increase the number of their players within a full time structure. Whichever level that is it can't be a bad thing for French Rugby League. Someone like Thomas Lasvenes would benefit greatly from being involved with Ottawa. 

Gonna be interesting to see how their recruitment evolves in the lead up to next season. 

Got to be a good thing, with Catalans filling their team up with Les Rosbifs

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Could be a few Elite 1 players who’d fancy it. 

If they are serious about going for a gradual build rather than all out for SL (like Toronto) then Elite 1 players should prove of a capable standard in the first few years. They don't need to sign SL standard players to compete in League 1.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Yes it's a bilingual city and not too far from other French speaking catchment areas 

Ottawa, pop. 995K, is located in Ontario on the Ottawa river.  Directly on the other side of the river in predominately French-speaking Quebec are the "joined" cities of Gatineau at pop. 285K and Hull (imagine that!!!) at pop. 70K.  So an immediate fan catchment pool of ~1.350M people, >25% of which live in Quebec.

37 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Ottawa, pop. 995K, is located in Ontario on the Ottawa river.  Directly on the other side of the river in predominately French-speaking Quebec are the "joined" cities of Gatineau at pop. 285K and Hull (imagine that!!!) at pop. 70K.  So an immediate fan catchment pool of ~1.350M people, >25% of which live in Quebec.

Ottawa on its own is well over a million now also don't forget Ottawa has a huge embassy work force that does not count as part of the offical population.

Nice place Ottawa, always enjoyed any time I have spent there, it's not so in your face French as Quebec or Montreal as in you don't have to speak to people in French first to get them to acknowledge you in shops, bar's and restaurants.

10 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Nice place Ottawa, always enjoyed any time I have spent there, it's not so in your face French as Quebec or Montreal as in you don't have to speak to people in French first to get them to acknowledge you in shops, bar's and restaurants.

I only spent three days there but thought it was really dull compared to Toronto or Montreal. 

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I only spent three days there but thought it was really dull compared to Toronto or Montreal. 

Did you spend any evening's in the Byward Market area or visit the Anthropology Museum or walk along the Canal side, we found lots of thing's to do including a tour of the City on the back of Harley's.

17 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Did you spend any evening's in the Byward Market area or visit the Anthropology Museum or walk along the Canal side, we found lots of thing's to do including a tour of the City on the back of Harley's.

We were backpackers in our 20s and didn’t have much money so def didn’t do anything on Harleys, but yeah we went to the market area and canal. There was a deeply disappointing waterfall as well as I recall. Quebec City was great though, like being in France. 

Ottawa is not dull however the city does a really bad job at marketing the city many people have no idea what the city has people learn what the city has and fall in love with it.One of the biggest attraction is the festivals and country fairs then you have typical attractions like museums and arts stuff.

Didn't France football win world/european competitions with a lot of players playing overseas. The treize looking towards that too maybe.

Miloudi and Springer at TWP, Fages, Escare et al across the Channel professionals. Another out- let across the Atalntic beckoning and with an experienced French coach incharge. Dragons and TO at home growing together year by year. How we missed out that double-header at Stade Ernest Wallon in May.

Elite 1 getting ready for a November 1st start. You would like to think for the younger and ambitious players playing at that level would jump at chances playing overseas out of season. Ottawa would be attractive surely following on those two teenagers from Limoux and Albi who took up that fortnight youth camp at Melbourne Storm earlier in the year.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

20 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Ottawa is not dull however the city does a really bad job at marketing the city many people have no idea what the city has people learn what the city has and fall in love with it.One of the biggest attraction is the festivals and country fairs then you have typical attractions like museums and arts stuff.

Sounds spot on for Rugby League's Culture Vultures.

My answer to the original question raised in the post is: no. Ottawa will become the second Canadian professional team. Either Avignon or Paris should become the third professional French team.

14 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Louis Jouffret looks set to sign.

See I was right I tell ya!! 

https://www.totalrl.com/eric-perez-eyes-up-promotion-for-ottawa-with-french-halfback-in-their-sights/ 

French Captain and halfback , great for marketing and will look great standing next to their French speaking coach. I really like the way this  is heading.

15 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

French Captain and halfback , great for marketing and will look great standing next to their French speaking coach. I really like the way this  is heading.

Me too. I think its really important that each new team has its own flavour to it; so Toronto are the big city spenders, Ottawa are the bi-lingual team in the community etc.

On 08/07/2020 at 05:06, The Daddy said:

Louis Jouffret looks set to sign.

See I was right I tell ya!! 

https://www.totalrl.com/eric-perez-eyes-up-promotion-for-ottawa-with-french-halfback-in-their-sights/ 

On 08/07/2020 at 20:27, Tommygilf said:

Me too. I think its really important that each new team has its own flavour to it; so Toronto are the big city spenders, Ottawa are the bi-lingual team in the community etc.

Perez interviewed says expecting to average  6000 in their first year . Seemed very confident without sounding hubristic (is that a word) said the response in Ottawa has been really positive. Plenty of room for growth in that 25000 seat stadium.

36 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Perez interviewed says expecting to average  6000 in their first year . Seemed very confident without sounding hubristic (is that a word) said the response in Ottawa has been really positive. Plenty of room for growth in that 25000 seat stadium.

Do you have a link to the interview? 

Archived