Will Ottawa become France's 3rd pro team?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Perez interviewed says expecting to average  6000 in their first year . Seemed very confident without sounding hubristic (is that a word) said the response in Ottawa has been really positive. Plenty of room for growth in that 25000 seat stadium.

After observing many a new RL venture collapse, sometimes following initial success, we tend towards cynicism in these parts regarding such matters. Eric Perez does seem to have a belief and a knack previously lacking though. However this pans out he deserves nothing but credit.

And yes, I can confirm that "hubristic" is a word. The English Language is our gift to the world. Always delighted to give guidance to those learning to speak it in far-flung corners of the Empire.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The English Language is our gift to the world. Always delighted to give guidance to those learning to speak it in far-flung corners of the Empire.

And in turn we pay tribute to the many languages from which English is sourced. Gaelic ,Latin, Nordic and of course in the name itself,  the Germanic languages i.e. the Angles (Angl-ish)

It will certain become another option for French players, especially those who are too strong for Elite One, but not yet Super League standard in the short-medium term (and aren't all signed up by Toulouse)

Young French players have shown many struggle taking up the game outside of French speaking areas, that's not to say that there isn't examples where that hasn't been the case (Fages comes to mind), but unfortunately the cultural and language differences do seem to make it harder for them.

Ottawa offers another place for these players to consider, same with Pacifique Treize, if they get into the Intrust Super Cup in 2023.  Difference between the two is Pacifique Treize can not only recruit French players, but can also open up a new area to Develop French talent, any local talent that Ottawa develops will be playing for the Wolverines (not a bad thing either).

All in all, it just adds another way to grow the French talent pool, which is arguably still around 20 players too small for the Les Chanticleers to be a lot more consistent. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Listening to Ottawa and before them Toronto its like a breathe of fresh air and everything seems so much more professional than the new clubs we have seen before in this country. It just seems on another level. It says a lot for the UK in that there seems to be less barriers to Rugby League and more backers in a country that RL is relatively unknown. It would be great to see a club entering the league from London, Birmingham, Bristol or even Manchester with the backing and setup that we see in Ottawa and Toronto but I've yet to see one.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Listening to Ottawa and before them Toronto its like a breathe of fresh air and everything seems so much more professional than the new clubs we have seen before in this country. It just seems on another level. It says a lot for the UK in that there seems to be less barriers to Rugby League and more backers in a country that RL is relatively unknown. It would be great to see a club entering the league from London, Birmingham, Bristol or even Manchester with the backing and setup that we see in Ottawa and Toronto but I've yet to see one.

Thats how I feel too. I look at Toronto games on TV and think - that looks like a fun place to be, and you can see why Canadians are going in numbers. Ottawa will benefit from that pre-existing exposure too.

We could learn a thing or two.

13 hours ago, The Rocket said:

And in turn we pay tribute to the many languages from which English is sourced. Gaelic ,Latin, Nordic and of course in the name itself,  the Germanic languages i.e. the Angles (Angl-ish)

Ironic that you omitted Greek which is the origin of Hubris/hubristic. There`s also the small matter of Norman French.

"Irony" is also derived from Greek. And we know you have that down under from listening to Gus Gould.

We also notice you have "Origin". This word had an either French or Latin etymology, but is now quintessentially Australian.

15 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

And yes, I can confirm that "hubristic" is a word. The English Language is our gift to the world. Always delighted to give guidance to those learning to speak it in far-flung corners of the Empire.

The anarchic, mongrel dog's breakfast of a language otherwise known as English is a gift to the world???  Curse is more like it!

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The anarchic, mongrel dog's breakfast of a language otherwise known as English is a gift to the world???  Curse is more like it!

Philistine!

BTW, from earlier in this thread you`re definitely on to something drawing comparisons between the Canadian Football scrimmage and the early version of the RL PTB. There`s precious little existing footage of the PTB from 1906 till whenever it was streamlined, otherwise it would be easier to illustrate the similarity.

15 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Don't get drawn into it Rocket. lol. 

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Steady on BP! 

I think Perez may be low on his estimate..if the Aces get a decent French squad contingent  say 5 or 6 French players the Quebec media will pick it up and the number of fans heading in from Montreal area will be significant. Add to that fans from Toronto and eastern Ontario who support the Wolfpack (yours truly and my contingent) heading in to rekindle their friendships with League 1 clubs overseas supporters and you have a large outside grouping. Ottawa area locals rocking up plus the above and I see a 7-8000 average. 

The luckiest bunch are gonna be those 5-6 Frenchmen being swarmed on a hot summer day by Quebecois hotties in their Daisy Dukes and tanktops!!!

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I think Perez may be low on his estimate..if the Aces get a decent French squad contingent  say 5 or 6 French players the Quebec media will pick it up and the number of fans heading in from Montreal area will be significant. Add to that fans from Toronto and eastern Ontario who support the Wolfpack (yours truly and my contingent) heading in to rekindle their friendships with League 1 clubs overseas supporters and you have a large outside grouping. Ottawa area locals rocking up plus the above and I see a 7-8000 average. 

The luckiest bunch are gonna be those 5-6 Frenchmen being swarmed on a hot summer day by Quebecois hotties in their Daisy Dukes and tanktops!!!

I now have a sudden desire to learn French

16 minutes ago, freddyyow said:

I have to say, I'm pumped for us to have a Rugby League team next year. I can't wait for next season to start! I've already put my deposit down for season tickets.

What it like in Ottawa currently, is the club getting plenty of exposure? 

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

What it like in Ottawa currently, is the club getting plenty of exposure? 

They are getting a little bit so far in the mainstream media. I would hope that would increase as next season draws closer.

I really hope it becomes a success. 

Not that it should be a pre-cursor to anything Eric Perez is trying to do but Ottawa has a history of teams coming and then disappearing due to lack of finances or lack of interest. Basketball, Lacrosse, baseball (many times), football and Canadian football (twice) have all failed here in the last 25 years. Football and Canadian Football especially is back in a big way though.

I'm really hoping people get a chance to see the game for what it is and embrace it when things get going. 

Edit: Just to avoid confusion, Canadian football is Canada's version of American Football.

38 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

The Aces are a dream for the francophone community not just for the the Ottawa areas but Montreal and the GTA  it would not shock me if they avg around 10,000.

4 minutes ago, freddyyow said:

They are getting a little bit so for in the mainstream media. I would hope that would increase as next season draws closer.

I really hope it becomes a success. 

Not that it should be a pre-cursor to anything Eric Perez is trying to do but Ottawa has a history of teams coming and then disappearing due to lack of finances or lack of interest. Basketball, Lacrosse, baseball (many times), football and Canadian football (twice) have all failed here in the last 25 years. Football and Canadian Football especially is back in a big way though.

I'm really hoping people get a chance to see the game for what it is and embrace it when things get going. 

Edit: Just to avoid confusion, Canadian football is Canada's version of American Football.

To be clear both times the Cfl team failed it was nothing to do with fans as interest was very high as with baseball they did very well when the were triple a farm team of the Expos.The recent baseball team attendance was fine for the level of the league but rent is what hurt the teams $100,000 per year when most teams would pay less then $20,000.

2 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

To be clear both times the Cfl team failed it was nothing to do with fans as interest was very high as with baseball they did very well when the were triple a farm team of the Expos.The recent baseball team attendance was fine for the level of the league but rent is what hurt the teams $100,000 per year when most teams would pay less then $20,000.

oh for sure. I'm not saying its lack of interest in all cases. Just trying to give some background on whats happened sports wise in this city in the past for those not familiar with Ottawa.

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats how I feel too. I look at Toronto games on TV and think - that looks like a fun place to be, and you can see why Canadians are going in numbers. Ottawa will benefit from that pre-existing exposure too.

We could learn a thing or two.

One thing that I noticed when I first moved here was that going to a sports game is more than the game, it’s a day out and everyone goes with the intention of having fun, in fact if it’s not fun then the team won’t survive as there plenty of competition for the customers $, not just sports.

3 minutes ago, freddyyow said:

oh for sure. I'm not saying its lack of interest in all cases. Just trying to give some background on whats happened sports wise in this city in the past for those not familiar with Ottawa.

True but i think Ottawa has had bad luck with ownership more then anything now that seems to be changing.

Just now, Jayme2020 said:

True but i think Ottawa has had bad luck with ownership more then anything now that seems to be changing.

I sure hope so. OSEG seem to have done very well with their existing teams.

Archived