If they play there best team they be really hard to beat .

1. Roger Tuivasa -Sheck

2. Ken Maumalolo

3. BJ Leiluia 

4. Stephen Critchon

5. David Noufaluma 

6. Anthony Milford 

7. Dylan Brown

8. Junior Paulo

9. Jarome Luai

10. Payne Haas

11. Sonny Bill Williams

12. Josh Papali

13. Martin Tapau

14. Chanel Tevita Harris

15. James Fisher Harris

16. Nelson Asfoa Solomona 

17. Jaydn S’uA

This team will easily beat England and will give Tonga ,NZ and Australia big test. They have world class fowards that will steam roll nearly any pack. What Seperates them from Tonga is there spine with a legit halves pairing and an elite fullback . This team is a pipe dream in reality as most player will be selected for Australia/ NZ. 

I can see a fair number of inconsistent performers in that list.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I can see a fair number of inconsistent performers in that list.

Plus, although it is a good side and there might be a chance they beat the top teams,  I don't think they'll steamroll them as they've also got quality forwards

1. Some those will be playing for other countries

2. A fair few inconsistent players in that list

3. History suggests that when Samoa get together they just want to hang out with their mates and have a laugh, winning is secondary

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

It would be nice to see Samoa challenge the big boys as it would be nice to see a competitive World Cup and more so a competitive international scene, that squad could certainly compete with the best of them but theres not much chance of seeing many of those names in the Samoa line up at the moment.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m a bit worried that they might beat England, and get the WC off to a less than flying start (domestically at least). Still we’d then beat Australia in the QF which would be fun 😉 

Finally you took the bait. So you think there would be plenty of time to get your campaign back on track even if it got the wobbles initially.😉

When I made the above post I was thinking of a conversation we had had months ago about the opening game of the WC.

Seriously though, my main interest in the first game is that it be a blockbuster that may set up the tone for the rest of the tournament and capitalise on casual viewers who may tuned in to have a look at the opening game. I think Jarome`s inclusion in the Samoan team only raises the chances of that occurring. Bring it on.🥳

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Finally you took the bait. So you think there would be plenty of time to get your campaign back on track even if it got the wobbles initially.😉

When I made the above post I was thinking of a conversation we had had months ago about the opening game of the WC.

Seriously though, my main interest in the first game is that it be a blockbuster that may set up the tone for the rest of the tournament and capitalise on casual viewers who may tuned in to have a look at the opening game. I think Jarome`s inclusion in the Samoan team only raises the chances of that occurring. Bring it on.🥳

Yes I’d expect England to then beat France and Greece but with a second place finish we’d then have to play Tonga in the QFs instead of (probably) PNG. Really for casual ticket sales (rather than sadsacks like us who’ve got tickets a year in advance) we need England to do well. 

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes I’d expect England to then beat France and Greece but with a second place finish we’d then have to play Tonga in the QFs instead of (probably) PNG. Really for casual ticket sales (rather than sadsacks like us who’ve got tickets a year in advance) we need England to do well. 

Yeah mate, I hope you realise that I`m winding you up, England will beat Samoa no worries and then next stop the Final.👍

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah mate, I hope you realise that I`m winding you up, England will beat Samoa no worries and then next stop the Final.👍

I didn’t even spot a wind up, Samoa are a good side and could obviously trouble England (did you see any of last year’s GB tour!). We really need to make the semi final imho. 

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I'm not so sure. I think England might be in a lot of trouble.

new rise.jpg

If things remain as they now are in the UK, I hope England are beaten by Samoa after being penalised off the park for illegal PTBs by an Aussie/Kiwi ref. This would bring to a head the current disgrace and send a warning to all UK-based players for the rest of the tournament.

Otherwise we will present to the world a sport where if one team of players are UK-based and the other Rest-of-the-World based, they will be palpably observing different rules in a fundamental part of the game. Who is going to take such a debacle seriously?

8 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If things remain as they now are in the UK, I hope England are beaten by Samoa after being penalised off the park for illegal PTBs by an Aussie/Kiwi ref. This would bring to a head the current disgrace and send a warning to all UK-based players for the rest of the tournament.

Otherwise we will present to the world a sport where if one team of players are UK-based and the other Rest-of-the-World based, they will be palpably observing different rules in a fundamental part of the game. Who is going to take such a debacle seriously?

I don't think non RL die hards would even notice

21 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I don't think non RL die hards would even notice

Problem with that is that we want people to notice the parts of RL that distinguish it from RU. And the PTB is the most fundamental.

If the RLWC succeeds in generating interest in "Rugby", for 99% of the world (including most parts of the UK) it will be to the benefit of RU, since that will be the better-developed version available. Only if new fans are specifically attracted to the distinctive aspects of League will they go the extra mile.

When an RL clip gets substantial attention on social media it`s always accompanied by comments from around the world about "Rugby", "All Blacks", "Wallabies", etc. We have to persuade people to look more closely before we can prosper. And if they do, they will see UK-based players rolling the ball and hopping over it with a few exceptions, whilst everyone else plays it with the foot with a few exceptions. And if the difference is immaterial, they might as well go with RU.

Big issue for the Islands is who will commit tournament to tournament, there's a few on that list that definitely wouldn't but to be honest it doesn't really matter. Even if a few don't make it across for the WC there's enough depth that the whole squad will likely be regular first-graders. Based on those who've committed previously the side will more likely look more like this: 

1. Anthony Milford
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Joseph Leilua
4. Stephen Chricton 
5. Brian To'o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Chanel Harris-Tavita
8. Junior Paulo
9. Danny Levi
10. Marty Taupau
11. Luciano Leilua
12. Jaydn Su'a
13. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 
14. Mason Lino
15. Moses Leota 
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Josh Aloiai

Others: Hymel Hunt, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Mata'utia brothers, Jorge Taufua, Tim Lafai, Josh McGuire is probably a chance to come back too, etc.

• 10 months later...

Put this in here because I thought it was a nice Rugby League story.

Jarome Luai given Samoan shot in arm on eve of finals (theaustralian.com.au)

Jarome Luai’s pursuit of grand final redemption has been given a Samoan shot in the arm. Luai, preparing for a finals series with Penrith that could be career-defining, has spoken of his pride after being hand-picked to become the face of Samoan tourism.

Quite an honour for the young bloke and speaks volumes of his profile in that country and here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 01:23, unapologetic pedant said:

I hate seeing the way the PTB has gone these days. Maybe the league should force coaches to instruct players at training to do it correctly. How did we get to this?

Archived