League One

I’ve just listened to the latest episode of the Full Eighty Minutes podcast, basically a long interview with the CEO of Donny and General Manager if Newcastle Thunder, lots about the issues facing League One (and all) RL clubs at the moment. Worth a listen if you like that sort of thing. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve just listened to the latest episode of the Full Eighty Minutes podcast, basically a long interview with the CEO of Donny and General Manager if Newcastle Thunder, lots about the issues facing League One (and all) RL clubs at the moment. Worth a listen if you like that sort of thing. 

What did they say? L1 seems to be a bit forgotten atm

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What did they say? L1 seems to be a bit forgotten atm

Basically about the financial problems, how to get the league playing again, other ideas to generate income and interest. They’re both clubs that I’d love to see in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Cheers , I’ll have a listen . 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Basically about the financial problems, how to get the league playing again, other ideas to generate income and interest. They’re both clubs that I’d love to see in the Championship. 

Yeah they're 100% Championship quality clubs in waiting, hopefully they'll get some sort of boost from the World cup games they're in line to host.

I saw an idea recently that seemed like a good idea for lower league rugby league clubs if their season is ended. 

In Scotland, someone has come up with “Donate a Ticket”, where teams who have signed up are playing for a virtual trophy by being drawn against each other and whoever gets the most donations online each tie, wins and progresses to the next stage. I saw a couple of teams I looked into were offering incentives in terms of raffles to get people to continue to donate and it seemed to generate a decent amount of money for clubs. 

It’s something that Rugby League could easily adopt, I feel. Especially those in League One. 

Both Donny and Newcastle have huge potential if they can get fans to travel. Both are out of the city centre, within similar settings with both having good travel links and retail parks nearby. Go for a KFC/McDonalds and then to the game etc. Both have competition from similar sports, Soccer, Union and racing. Personally I havent been to Kingston Park for Union but have for Doncaster and other than the fact of the club shop being there you wouldn't really know about Rugby league at the Keepmoat. 

I think Doncaster can do more with the soccer club to promote it in the city however in Lockdown the "Dons4Life" scheme is a good idea basically a lottery. 

Archived