Ryan Hall should be back playing in the NRL for many weeks.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hall was standout when the corner flag was in touch.

He built his reputation at that time as the ultimate finisher and typically smaller guys couldn't compare.

The rules changed so he no longer stood out nor did Leeds employ the same tactics.

Hall has never been a fast runner even in his prime, these days he looks distinctively slow amongst other backs around him.

I do agree that his teammates don't use him that often as an attacking option, it's noticeable.

I know he was always quite reliable at Leeds, you'd not be worried about his defence or the high kick etc although over the years he's coughed up a clanger or someone has picked his pocket.

He is clearly very rusty though, he was at fault the other day, positioned wrong leading to a try. He's played 8 games in two years though, he needs a good run in the team before he will be seen at his best. 

4 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Hall was standout when the corner flag was in touch.

He built his reputation at that time as the ultimate finisher and typically smaller guys couldn't compare.

The rules changed so he no longer stood out nor did Leeds employ the same tactics.

Hall has never been a fast runner even in his prime, these days he looks distinctively slow amongst other backs around him.

I do agree that his teammates don't use him that often as an attacking option, it's noticeable.

I know he was always quite reliable at Leeds, you'd not be worried about his defence or the high kick etc although over the years he's coughed up a clanger or someone has picked his pocket.

He is clearly very rusty though, he was at fault the other day, positioned wrong leading to a try. He's played 8 games in two years though, he needs a good run in the team before he will be seen at his best. 

You watch him in the 2014 4N and that was when he was at his peak. Still had some pace, was not as bulked up, and was finishing tries for fun. He probably should be doing a job in the middle now. Still a great metre runner out of trouble but age and injuries have dented his finishing skills.

Another Comedy Gold thread. 

A motley crew of keyboard warriors choose to bag a player signed by a two time NRL GF winning coach. A coach who's taken the game to a new level. 

Everyone is entitled to his view, but I know whose I take more notice of. 

13 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

A motley crew of keyboard warriors choose to bag a player signed by a two time NRL GF winning coach. A coach who's taken the game to a new level. 

A motley crew of keyboard warriors ... lovely . 

7 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Correction to your  post Number 16.

Trent Robinson is not a two time NRL GF winning coach, he is a three time NRL GF winning coach:  2013, 2018, 2019

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

A motley crew of keyboard warriors ... lovely . 

You could literally take the view that someone is an expert and is never wrong on just about every topic. The thing is even experts get it wrong and quite frequently too.

23 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Correction to your  post Number 16.

Trent Robinson is not a two time NRL GF winning coach, he is a three time NRL GF winning coach:  2013, 2018, 2019

But wasn't he a two time winning coach when he signed Hall? 😉

1 hour ago, Click said:

But wasn't he a two time winning coach when he signed Hall? 😉

Two time when Hall joined, but probably only one time when he was signed. 😝

Anyway, as a young player, if Daniel Tupou turns out to be 75% of the player Hall was at his peak, he'll be a very good player. 

Hall was the best in his position by quite a margin and one of the finest players in the world 

People called Romans they go the house

24 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Two time when Hall joined, but probably only one time when he was signed. 😝

Anyway, as a young player, if Daniel Tupou turns out to be 75% of the player Hall was at his peak, he'll be a very good player. 

Hall was the best in his position by quite a margin and one of the finest players in the world 

I am sure that 29 year old Daniel Tupou will be delighted to be called a young player.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I am sure that 29 year old Daniel Tupou will be delighted to be called a young player.

Ha. I thought he was much younger. Not much chance of him reaching Hall's peak now, I suppose. 

People called Romans they go the house

It is weird listening to the NRL commentators sort of belittle him during games in light of his zero tries (thus far) and pretty much ignoring his career and international pedigree. Not that he's performing especially well or anything but his CV does demand a bit more respect than that I think.

It's a shame that he left it so late to have a crack at NRL. Was it 2011 when Billy Slater broke his collarbone trying (unsuccessfully) to stop him going over in the corner in the England vs Australia test series? I didn't watch NRL back then but I think it's fair to say he must have been one of the top 3 wingers in the world at that point and perhaps even top dog. He was arguably the stand-out player in that series and it's unlikely the Aussies didn't notice. Maybe that's why some of them are enjoying seeing him struggle a little now.

I can't really root for the Roosters given their sort of royalty status but defo hope he gets it going. One of the good guys and a great servant to the sport at the highest level for at least 10 years. I wouldn't rule him out making a big NRL impact at some point.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

He's been around forever hasn't he? I only started watching NRL in 2013 and he's probably one of the few players still playing in the same position for the same side. Cameron Smith is the obvious one - not sure there are any more? As many have commented, I think he (Tupou) is playing as well now as at any point in that period.

13 minutes ago, DeadShotKeen said:

He's been around forever hasn't he? I only started watching NRL in 2013 and he's probably one of the few players still playing in the same position for the same side. Cameron Smith is the obvious one - not sure there are any more? As many have commented, I think he's playing as well now as at any point in that period.

He has certainly been the longest fixture in the Roosters backline but in the pack Boyd Cordner, Jared Warrea-Hargreaeves and Jake Friend have been around longer.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He has certainly been the longest fixture in the Roosters backline but in the pack Boyd Cordner, Jared Warrea-Hargreaeves and Jake Friend have been around longer.

Good points re: the latter 2. They qualify for my 2013 til now thing, although Cordner I'm fairly sure broke through a bit later (2015 maybe?). Roosters starting 2nd rowers when I started watching in 2013 would have been Sonny Bill and probably Aubisson (another 2013 til nower ha ha ha!)

7 minutes ago, DeadShotKeen said:

Good points re: the latter 2. They qualify for my 2013 til now thing, although Cordner I'm fairly sure broke through a bit later (2015 maybe?). Roosters starting 2nd rowers when I started watching in 2013 would have been Sonny Bill and probably Aubisson (another 2013 til nower ha ha ha!)

Cordner played 22 games for the Roosters in 2012. Although I don't know if he started all of them and also if he was always a second row (I think he was).

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Cordner played 22 games for the Roosters in 2012. Although I don't know if he started all of them and also if he was always a second row (I think he was).

Well I never. I'll take your word for it fella. I'm wondering if maybe he was injured for much or all of 2013? He didn't play in the 2013 GF I don't think, did he? Obviously I'm off to search the net to find out. 🙂

A-ha! Wiki: 

Note: Both Boyd Cordner and Luke O'Donnell were late inclusions to the Roosters squad with Cordner replacing Frank-Paul Nuuausala at lock and both Nuuausala and O'Donnell replacing Isaac Liu and Dylan Napa on the interchange bench.

That maybe explains. I don't think Cordner was a starter that year. It was a year or 2 later he broke through as a 2nd rower I think.

In tomorrow’s game Ryan Hall will be marking either the top NRL tryscorer, Kyle Feldt, or former NFL apprentice, “My Funny Valentine” Holmes. Whichever of these two stars it is, Ryan Hall will need to play at his best if he is to contain them.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

In tomorrow’s game Ryan Hall will be marking either the top NRL tryscorer, Kyle Feldt, or former NFL apprentice, “My Sunny Valentine” Holmes. Whichever of these two stars it is, Ryan Hall will need to play at his best if he is to contain them.

Holmes is out with an Ankle injury.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

hope ryan hall proves all the doubters wrong and takes his chance well, would have been too easy to just quit the nrl like watkins did and take the soft option, cmon kid go go go

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, Allora said:

Holmes is out with an Ankle injury.

Has he been ruled out?

This article was updated just 90 minutes ago and he is still listed as playing after the Cowboys game squad was reduced down to 19.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/07/08/updated-team-list-round-9-v-roosters/

Archived