NFL/College 2020/2021

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Dallas loss and Dak Prescott is under pressure on the messageboards with even Coaching Guru Jimmy Johnson comparing him to Vinny Testaverde (i.e. A QB who can only win you games if all the other pieces are in place on the team). I nver stand in the way of any professional athelete wanting as much as he or she can get but I also sure understand why Jerry is not stumping up because Dak is not in the same class as Mahomes, Jackson, Rogers, Brees, Rothlisberger and Wilson. He is Derek Carr level

The NFL show on the BBC with Chappers, Jason and OSi is still the best show on TV with the most mature and adult discussion on american social issues seen on TV , in print or on this forum. Sadly there appears only to be the one show this year.

There is another with an all female presenting crew oin Channel 5 with NFL Endzone hosted by Cory Yarckin and a liverpudian lass whose parents could not spell the word Chelsea correctly. Fortunately I speak scouse so no problem but the whole sunday show sems aimed at the Yoof market. It did have one high spot the adoarable Samantha Quek 💓 and her large collection of NFL shirts telling us all how we can stay up at night to watch the NFL. The bit where we saw Kristen Watson hostess for Monday Night football and Maurice Jones-Drew was a dissappointing two minutes at the end of the show. I was expecting to hear a lot more from MJD.

Next week let's hope it improves on and off the field.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Interesting (ish) to see Sky showing college football this evening.

BT also putting on a couple of games.

Unfortunately it did seem very one sided when I tuned in on Sky.

I still think that having a whole channel dedicated to the NFL is overkill.

I’m a massive fan of the sport, but I just don’t think it can be justified.

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Unfortunately it did seem very one sided when I tuned in on Sky.

It would be. That's why Notre Dame scheduled it and South Florida will have taken the payment to play it. Whoever scheduled it for Sky did so because either they don't have access to any other rights (they're on BT), there was nothing else available in the time slot (not true, I don't think), or because they simply didn't know and thought Notre Dame would be a good game to show (quite possible).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3rd and 31 against  the Jets piece of cake  back up quarterback doesnt even have to throw just hand it to the running back 😭😭😭

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• 2 weeks later...

There's two dangerous times to be an NFL coach, the end of the regular season when "Black Monday" claims coaches and General managers and four weeks into the season when teams going 0-4 cut bait as owners try to Save Our Season .

Game of the week in the sack race is Houston v Minnisota Vikings with Bill O'Brien Coach and GM who dealt De'Andre Hopkins to Arizona in what is grand larceny for the cards against Mike Zimmer who was the subject of rumblings up in Minnisota last season when the Vikes made the playoffs. The similarity is trading Stefon Diggs to Buffalo losing the main receiving weapon whilst at the same time having to play Kirk Cousins at QB because if you pay $84million guranteed on a three year deal expiring in 2021 he has to play. Watch for the loser in this game to possibly get the Dennis Allen treatment. The hapless ex-Raiders coach who was fired in mid-atlantic after the Raiders went 0-4.

Although it looks like Dan Quinn has run out of lives at Atlanta. Owner Arthur Blank is not a trigger happy opener, IIRC the Falcons went 1-7 in the first half of 2019 and Quinn was suposed to be on his way  after the bye week but the Falcons played hard in the second half of the season and Quinn got a reprieve possbily on the basis of the Dirty Birds getting to the Super Bowl under him min the recent past.

Adam Gase is another at New York Jets on the hot seat but Johnson and Johnson Sr in ownership have faith in their coach and probably have written off the season on the basis that the franchise nees to bottom out before moving on.

The "get right" games for many of the contenders will be in weeks 4/5 without a pre-season this year and it could be that a team coming in hot at the back end of the season couyld win theb Giants with a 9-7 regular season record just as the Giants did. THe NFL produces surprises so watch out for Dallas, Cleveland, and New England.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

Steelers v Titans postponed until monday or Tuesday due to three players and 5 staff members of Titans testing positive for covid 19.

NFL also  investigating Raiders as some players including quarterback Derek Carr violated NFL and Nevada mandates by attending a public gathering on monday night.

That goes to prove that sometimes what happens in Vegas does not stay in Vegas.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

So since I've changed my policy, in the Tipping League, from ALWAYS picking the Browns to win to ALWAYS picking their opposition, the Browns are on a 3-0 run. 

I'm willing to keep sacrificing Tipping points each week to "help" the Browns on their procession to Superbowl glory. 😉

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

9 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

So since I've changed my policy, in the Tipping League, from ALWAYS picking the Browns to win to ALWAYS picking their opposition, the Browns are on a 3-0 run. 

I'm willing to keep sacrificing Tipping points each week to "help" the Browns on their procession to Superbowl glory. 😉

Wiltshire Rhino you are a legend.

By the way to supplement your Browns there is also a Cleveland Rugby League team played their first game at Akron

25 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Wiltshire Rhino you are a legend.

By the way to supplement your Browns there is also a Cleveland Rugby League team played their first game at Akron

Well played the "mighty" Cleveland RL 😀

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1745563068812620&id=110767632292180&sfnsn=scwspmo

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Proof then when it does not come to Rugby League my predictions are largely accurate

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/05/texans-fire-bill-obrien/

Bill O'Brien winning the sack race after an 0-4 start, and further North in Texas, Mike Nolan will be lucky to retain a job after the worst defensive performance I have ever seen from an NFL team yesterday in Dallas shellacking by Cleveland,Yes Cleveland....

George Orwell

George Orwell

The Pro- Bowl has been cancelled which would suggest the NFL are thinking of allocating an extra week to the regular season so that any games that may have been postponed or rearranged can be played that week.

Personally imo Pro Bowl should be permanently  canceiled

A sack race game at Jacksonville where the heat is turning up on Doug Marrone of Jacksonville (1-4) and Matt Patricia of Detroit (1-3) . The coaches that are fired were predictable having been in post for a while with obvious flaws. The difficulty this causes other organisations is that Houston and Atlanta may be thought by many to have gotr a head start when it comes to identifying and recruiting Coaching and Front Office talent which will encourage owners with itchy fingers to take action now rather than later to appease the fan base.

For a Quarterback driven league, this season is becoming defined by the declining powers of Quarterbacks who have played one season too many, Drew Brees at New Orleans, Philip Rivers at Indianapolis and maybe Tom Brady at Tampa Bay. Sundays battle of the bays bgetween Tampa Bay and Green Bay will go a long way to determine if Tom Bradys decline is terminal.

PS - Channel 5 Coverage - Kirsen Watson is eye candy 💓

George Orwell

5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

For a Quarterback driven league, this season is becoming defined by the declining powers of Quarterbacks who have played one season too many, Drew Brees at New Orleans, Philip Rivers at Indianapolis and maybe Tom Brady at Tampa Bay. Sundays battle of the bays bgetween Tampa Bay and Green Bay will go a long way to determine if Tom Bradys decline is terminal.

Rivers has definitely played one season too many, the Colts have a solid O Line to provide him with the protection he needs but he still looks off the pace, plus his decision making is in decline as well. As to the other two, Brees really needs a fit and motivated Michael Thomas back, however time is starting to catch up with him and it will be interesting to see what the saints do to address this, because Taysom Hill is purely a gadget player and not their solution. Brady has potentially a bigger problem in that he is working with a coach in Arians who does not naturally fit Brady’s style in the way Belicheck and McDaniels at OC did, the Bucs O Line is also not up to the standard Brady is used to, last weeks game against Chicago may be a portent of things to come for Brady for the rest of this season and although there is still a good chance that the Bucs will win enough games to make this years expanded playoffs I don’t seriously see Brady getting near to another Super Bowl, in which case the question of what continues to motivate him will need to be addressed, as I’m sure that taking an increasing number of hits with less and less chance of glory may make him question if it’s worth it any more. It is rumoured that his wife Giselle was less than happy about his decision to continue playing and he’s been lucky enough to avoid too many injuries given the length of his career, however playing behind the Bucs OLine, especially as he has never been the most mobile QB must increase that injury risk.

On 14/10/2020 at 14:07, Irish Saint said:

Personally imo Pro Bowl should be permanently  canceiled

Totally agree, this may be the final nail in its coffin.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:21, Gray1967 said:

Great win for the mighty Fins last night...didnt see that coming I must admit.

The Dolphins are a well coached team who will act as party poopers more than a few times this season, they may not be playoff material, but they will ruin a number of teams own dreams, especially those who go in underprepared.

Of course I’m delighted by the Seahawks start, but I’m not fooled into getting too carried away. The defence is too porous to be a realistic challenger, the team will go as far as Russell can take them. I think we can win the NFC West, but would be worried about facing Rogers, or even Brees in the playoffs as that kind of smart, experienced QB will pick holes in our secondary and our lack of a pass rush would give them the time to do it, for evidence look at last years playoff game at Green Bay.

18 hours ago, Oldbear said:

The Dolphins are a well coached team who will act as party poopers more than a few times this season, they may not be playoff material, but they will ruin a number of teams own dreams, especially those who go in underprepared.

Im still shocked Fitzmagic has a 99.1 QB Rating!!!

Archived