NFL/College 2020/2021

20 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Im still shocked Fitzmagic has a 99.1 QB Rating!!!

He’s no mug, you don’t survive in this league as long as he has without having something. He’s a talented QB who has been plagued with periods of inconsistency throughout his career, which has meant he’s become a journeyman but don’t ever underestimate him as he can win the big games, I agree about the QBR though, it shows a much higher level of consistency than what I would normally associate with him.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

He’s no mug, you don’t survive in this league as long as he has without having something. He’s a talented QB who has been plagued with periods of inconsistency throughout his career, which has meant he’s become a journeyman but don’t ever underestimate him as he can win the big games, I agree about the QBR though, it shows a much higher level of consistency than what I would normally associate with him.

Totaly agree...and with some of the old toilet the Fins have had behind centre over the years, im loving it. Always comes across as a nice fella aswell, was loving the Fitz cheerleading when Tua came on for a coupla snaps last night. Great article about him in the Guardian today aswell, which is worth a read. Def shaping up to be an interesting season.

41 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

Totaly agree...and with some of the old toilet the Fins have had behind centre over the years, im loving it. Always comes across as a nice fella aswell, was loving the Fitz cheerleading when Tua came on for a coupla snaps last night. Great article about him in the Guardian today aswell, which is worth a read. Def shaping up to be an interesting season.

Definitely one of the leagues nice guys, a great mentor for the young guys too as he’s always kept himself in shape, Tua is fortunate to have him to guide him on his way into the league.

2 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Question: Is  Philip  Rivers a future hall of famer?

Not sure, he’s not that well liked outside his teammates and has a habit of trying to referee the game so politically he might not get enough popular votes amongst those who make these decisions. His case might have been helped had he made a number of big games.

On 17/10/2020 at 18:17, Oldbear said:

playing behind the Bucs OLine, especially as he has never been the most mobile QB must increase that injury risk.

Bucs O line made a much better job of protecting Brady yesterday, that plus Arians is finally getting Gronk involved so Brady has his security blanket. Maybe I should stop commenting on O line play and leave it to my son who actually plays the position at the college level.

Ryan Fitzpatrick  on benching

" My heart just hurt all day."

In other news Raiders player tests positive for covid-19. Training faculty was closed for two days.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 20/10/2020 at 10:40, Gray1967 said:

Apparently Tua to start for the mighty Fin's after the bye week...find that a strange one, as Fitz has been playing well.

Yeah, kind of odd, especially as the team chemistry also looked to be so good, hopefully it’s not disruptive to them.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 23/10/2020 at 14:13, THE RED ROOSTER said:

What is interesting is that a lot of my fellow Seahawks fans are not in favour of the NFLs international expansion plans. The comments often made are the usual ones about travel, cost to the league, but also player numbers, given that there are a large number of young players who are having to step up before they are ready, and that overseas expansion will dilute the player pool more, and more players coming out of college will find themselves on rosters, and playing, well before they are ready if the league is expanded much further. Even now there are a couple of teams (well almost the entire NFC East), which seem to be well off the pace, which then does not make for good TV (and let’s face it, TV is the lifeline for the NFL). I suspect that although there will be continuing debate about international expansion, the NFL in 10 years time will continue to look remarkably like its current structure. Remind you of another sport?

Back to the games. My Seahawks showed their defensive frailties yesterday (if you score 34 points you should win), especially if you hold 2 score leads twice in the game. The NFC does look like it may be a battle to the end for a number of teams, whereas the AFC would appear to be a fight between KC, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. I’m torn there, I generally can’t stand the Steelers for a number of good reasons, but they do have a B.C. boy lighting up the league in Chase Claypool (played in the same high school comp as my eldest son) and every time Chase plays well it’s another reminder to the NFL and college scouts that there is some great talent in Canada if they only come up and take a look.

Oldbear interesting  points on expansion. It wasnt so much expansion but if it had not been for NFL Europe would Kurt Warner still be stocking shelves.

Regarding the play offs looks like a team in the NFC East will get a home tie with a record that could be as bad as 7-9. Surely that  needs amending.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

What is interesting is that a lot of my fellow Seahawks fans are not in favour of the NFLs international expansion plans. The comments often made are the usual ones about travel, cost to the league, but also player numbers, given that there are a large number of young players who are having to step up before they are ready, and that overseas expansion will dilute the player pool more, and more players coming out of college will find themselves on rosters, and playing, well before they are ready if the league is expanded much further. Even now there are a couple of teams (well almost the entire NFC East), which seem to be well off the pace, which then does not make for good TV (and let’s face it, TV is the lifeline for the NFL). I suspect that although there will be continuing debate about international expansion, the NFL in 10 years time will continue to look remarkably like its current structure. Remind you of another sport?

Ironically there were probably similar concerns held over expanding the NFL to Seattle itself in the late 70s.  Certainly over travel and diluting the talent pool too much.  The Seahawks though managed to make themselves competitive quite quickly in the early 80s springing some play-off surprises in the AFC.

As it is, my biggest concern over a London franchise is over the likely impact of travel on its competitiveness in the league and the sheer logistics of it schedule wise with aircraft technology at this time.

I then wonder what the impact would be on fans, broadcasters, political and economic support to ‘backing a loser’ over a consistent number of years.  London needs to have a fair chance of winning to have any chance of succeeding long term.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ironically there were probably similar concerns held over expanding the NFL to Seattle itself in the late 70s.  Certainly over travel and diluting the talent pool too much.  The Seahawks though managed to make themselves competitive quite quickly in the early 80s springing some play-off surprises in the AFC.

As it is, my biggest concern over a London franchise is over the likely impact of travel on its competitiveness in the league and the sheer logistics of it schedule wise with aircraft technology at this time.

I then wonder what the impact would be on fans, broadcasters, political and economic support to ‘backing a loser’ over a consistent number of years.  London needs to have a fair chance of winning to have any chance of succeeding long term.

Totally agree, backing losing teams over a long period of time never ends well.

4 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Regarding the play offs looks like a team in the NFC East will get a home tie with a record that could be as bad as 7-9. Surely that  needs amending.

It could be worse than that, I suspect the Eagles wins NFC East with a record of 6-9-1, and as division winner gets a home tie against a wild card team (could be Seattle, SAN Fran or LA Rams), who will have a better record. However Seattle benefitted that way a few years ago so those are the rules.

I just want to introduce the theb following website to the board Tankathon

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

The website where its good to be bad. Tanking for Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields - see just how bad you side has to be to get that prized Top 5 draft pick.

15 hours ago, Oldbear said:

What will happen in London is either we will still be getting the "variety pack" of international Series fixtures 4-8 for the future or as you say the TV deal will end up as the driver for expansion with the market in the USA tapped out and the additional game in the 17 match schedule will be the overseas game and idea pinched forom the English premier League who encountered opposition when this was floated originally.

No canadian franchise though - The Bills in Toronto series killed that off along with political opposition caused by the threat of the NFL to the CFL which IIRC Trudeau senior opposed in parliament.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

No canadian franchise though - The Bills in Toronto series killed that off along with political opposition caused by the threat of the NFL to the CFL which IIRC Trudeau senior opposed in parliament.

The CFL is currently in a very bad place, the pandemic has meant no season and it’s a sport that barely survives as it is. I agree it would be a politically bad move to allow any NFL expansion into Canada, I will be content if they keep taking our young talent, and actually acknowledging that they are Canadian!

Also related to the CFL yesterday was a very sad day with the passing of BC Lions owner David Braley. This guy not only saved the Lions from demise, he had also done the same thing with Toronto Argos and Hamilton Tiger Cats previously. That plus in the 1990’s he saved the Vancouver Whitecaps FC from folding. A true sports nut and the worry for the Lions is who steps in to replace him at a time when the CFL has never been weaker.

Sunday was the worst I have seen the Pats play in a long time. Cam started the season well but struggled on Sunday. Maybe it is down to recovering from covid. I remember last season Brady seemed to have trust issues with the receivers and now he isn’t there I think that it is showing how Brady was covering a lot of cracks and without him they are just not that good a team. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t make the playoffs.

On 27/10/2020 at 21:19, Liverpool Rover said:

Sunday was the worst I have seen the Pats play in a long time. Cam started the season well but struggled on Sunday. Maybe it is down to recovering from covid. I remember last season Brady seemed to have trust issues with the receivers and now he isn’t there I think that it is showing how Brady was covering a lot of cracks and without him they are just not that good a team. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t make the playoffs.

Edelman out I think the cracks will only get bigger

On 27/10/2020 at 14:19, Liverpool Rover said:

However the Pats do have 2 things in their favour, they still have wily Bill in charge and I’m sure he will scheme up a few wins, they are also in a very weak division. The Jets are basically a bye opponent and I’m sure Gase remains in a job to guarantee them the number 1 draft pick next year, Miami are solid and well coached, but not exactly terrifying and Buffalo has the overhyped Josh Allen under centre, plus a defence that doesn’t seem to have the intensity of previous years. A little like the NFC East, the AFC East could easily be won by a team with a record below .500.

11 hours ago, Oldbear said:

However the Pats do have 2 things in their favour, they still have wily Bill in charge and I’m sure he will scheme up a few wins, they are also in a very weak division. The Jets are basically a bye opponent and I’m sure Gase remains in a job to guarantee them the number 1 draft pick next year, Miami are solid and well coached, but not exactly terrifying and Buffalo has the overhyped Josh Allen under centre, plus a defence that doesn’t seem to have the intensity of previous years. A little like the NFC East, the AFC East could easily be won by a team with a record below .500.

I agree that if they get into the playoffs it will be down to how bad the other AFC teams will be but if they do then I think it could be another early exit.

9 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I agree that if they get into the playoffs it will be down to how bad the other AFC teams will be but if they do then I think it could be another early exit.

True, I think for both AFC and NFC the winners of the East are destined for a first round exit, in fact they will be the division winners that everyone else will want to face.

Archived