NFL/College 2020/2021

On 27/10/2020 at 12:38, Irish Saint said:

Odell Beckham Jr. out for the season with torn acl. How much will Browns miss him?

With no pre season to game condition players the number of major injuries seems much higher, OBJ will be a big loss for the Browns, however I suspect there’s going to be a few more key players lost before the regular season is out, and it’s likely that even more than normal this year is going to be the year where the team that can stay healthy is the favourite (or at least the team that can get its key guys back for play offs).

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confirmation that the Jaguars are no longer contracted to play games in London as part of the International Series

13. Will the Jaguars stop playing games in London as part of this agreement?

Jacksonville is the home of the Jaguars. It has been the team's home for the past 26 seasons, and it will continue to be our home into the future.

The London game has been extremely important to the Jaguars and has also provided benefits to the Jacksonville community.However, theNFL controls the fate of all games played in London and the teams assigned to play in those games, and the Jaguars' current agreement to play games has expired. Any future decisions on London are on hold and out of the Jaguars' hands

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-president-mark-lamping-on-lot-j

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I've been getting back into NFL recently, after being into it in my teens but have been having difficulty picking a team to follow. As a kid, I picked the Chargers mainly because I liked their helmet and over the years I've followed their results. However, I really dislike their move to LA and don't want to be left following a laughing stock of a franchise. I like Dallas after watching All or Nothing and have a couple of pieces of merchandise of theirs, but they seem to be rubbish at the moment. If I get to pick a team (the RL and Football teams I inherited have done me no favours!), I'm not going to be a glory hunter but I also quite fancy following a team that won't be taking 5 years to build a squad capable of making the playoffs. To use a football analogy, I'm after a Chelsea/Tottenham.

I've got a couple of mates in the same position and they've suggested it'd make sense for us to follow the same team, and possibly that stands a chance of moving to London if it ever happened. Covid might have scuppered any chance there was, but last I checked the Jaguars and Buccaneers were mooted as most likely. I don't mind the Jaguars but the Buccs are just about my least favourite franchise.

I don't hold out hope that I'll pick a team soon, despite having followed the NRL for 20 years I've never picked a team. I tend to have teams I like to see do well (Warriors, Tigers, Bulldogs, Cowboys, Souths) and ones that I don't really like (Sharks, Sea-Eagles, Titans). I'll probably end up the same with NFL.

11 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm not going to be a glory hunter but I also quite fancy following a team that won't be taking 5 years to build a squad capable of making the playoffs. To use a football analogy, I'm after a Chelsea/Tottenham.

I have been a Seahawks fan long before I moved to Vancouver, like you it was originally part based on the helmet, and also because I really liked Steve Largent and Walter Jones. If you are looking for a team and don’t want to be accused of being a glory hunter then pick the Browns, however if you want a contending team that’s also well liked by neutrals then the Titans are popular. For what it’s worth there are some teams I can never pull for such as

49ers - like asking a Wigan fan to cheer for Saints

Rams - can’t stand the owners, plus I felt for the people of St Louis who lost their team

Cowboys - the whole Americas team hype, plus Jerry Jones as owner

Pats - due to some shady stuff in the past, plus Mr Kraft

Steelers - used to be the obvious hate due to the Steelers v Seahawks Super Bowl, plus Big Bens off field past, however now they have a local BC boy in Chase Claypool my feelings are divided.

2 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

I have been a Seahawks fan long before I moved to Vancouver, like you it was originally part based on the helmet, and also because I really liked Steve Largent and Walter Jones. If you are looking for a team and don’t want to be accused of being a glory hunter then pick the Browns, however if you want a contending team that’s also well liked by neutrals then the Titans are popular. For what it’s worth there are some teams I can never pull for such as

49ers - like asking a Wigan fan to cheer for Saints

Rams - can’t stand the owners, plus I felt for the people of St Louis who lost their team

Cowboys - the whole Americas team hype, plus Jerry Jones as owner

Pats - due to some shady stuff in the past, plus Mr Kraft

Steelers - used to be the obvious hate due to the Steelers v Seahawks Super Bowl, plus Big Bens off field past, however now they have a local BC boy in Chase Claypool my feelings are divided.

I have my fair share of irrational dislikes and the Browns are one, it wouldn't be possible to design a more boring franchise if you tried 😂. The Vikings should be an obvious transferable choice, I just really dislike the whole purple thing. As you can tell, I'm giving it deep, serious thought. 

Don't mind the Seahawks actually. 

Teams I have a soft spot for

Browns- their fans deserve so much better, the organization has traditionally been run appallingly though so who knows if they will ever contend

Bills- another team with amazing fans, and a true blue collar sport loving city, plus I loved Jim Kelly. Sadly another team unlikely to contend anytime soon

Falcons- Arthur Blank is a great owner, he pegged the price of stadium food and drink to be fair to the fans, he was extremely generous to the stadium staff during the last Super Bowl and always comes across as a true gentleman. They need a coaching overhaul though.

Dolphins- I love Flores as a coach, they look like they are going in the right direction

Titans- see above with Vrabel, plus they are in Nashville so what’s not to like?

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I have my fair share of irrational dislikes and the Browns are one, it wouldn't be possible to design a more boring franchise if you tried 😂. The Vikings should be an obvious transferable choice, I just really dislike the whole purple thing. As you can tell, I'm giving it deep, serious thought. 

Don't mind the Seahawks actually. 

Vikings are a good shout.

Early November is finally here. I have seen a lot of hate spewed in recent days about a man who is a constant winner and overachiever, and that’s what the people who support him like about him. Yes, he’s been caught in some lies and maybe twisted the truth a little but he’s still out there proving his haters wrong time after time. Some people are just jealous of someone who is successful and has money. You may not have wanted him in his role, but he’s there now and there’s nothing you can do about it. I know it’s possibly just going to get worse over the next several days, but like him or not, Tom Brady is turning things around in Tampa.

From another messageboard today.........

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

• 2 weeks later...

Saints quarterback Drew Brees out for awhile with reported fractured ribs and collapsed lung. Brees left the game  at half time on Sunday night due to breathing problems.

May he make a full recovery and  in his absence good luck to  the hit or miss James Winston . 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chapman states it is to concentrate on his other presenting commitments. Tho on his twitter feed there is a comment  that it was obvious on the last show he presented 17th October that something had happened as the atmosphere was frosty between them

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Any reason why?

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 03/11/2020 at 00:49, Irish Saint said:

Looking at the Steelers remaining fixtures anyone taking a punt on 16-0

That will depend on whether they rest players once they have the number 1 seed locked up, given that the Chiefs are still chasing hard for that seed they may not get that luxury till the last week. Also never underestimate the dangers of injuries, especially in key positions like QB and O Line. Pittsburgh will be doing their utmost to keep Big Ben and his O Line as healthy as possible, since it would be very difficult if they have to play back ups.

49ers looking for new temporary home ground. Yesterday Santa Clara county, home of Levi Stadium banned all interactive outdoor physical activity for a period of three weeks. Next week the 49ers were due to host the Bills and the following week Washington.

• 2 weeks later...

Straight out of left field, Boomer Esiason states his NFL analyst colleague on CBS  super bowl winning head coach with Pittsburgh Bill Cowher thinking of doing a John Gruden and going back to coaching. Esiason stated Cowher has informed  him he would be interested in Jets job if it becomes available. Jets are apparently $80m under the cap will probably have 1st pick in the draft and most importantly  his wife is a Jets fan.

There is an excellent  NFL film on Bill Cowher that is shown from time to time on the NFL channel. Tho it may be the off season before it is repeated again.

• 4 weeks later...

Heading towards another NFL tradition - Black Monday. The Monday after the close of the regular season in which many coaches and general managers are shown the door. Fewer look likely to go this year as due to no real pre-season and COVID issues, owners may give their coaching staff a "mulligan" for 2020.

Dead Mean Walking - Adam Gase (New York Jets) and Doug Marrone (Jacksonville Jaguars)

Possibles - Zac Taylor (Cincinnati Bengals) who has proved to be no Sean McVey, Mike Zimmer (Minnisota Vikings) who has yet to get the Vikes near the Super Bowl in seven years and Anthony Lynn (Los Angeles Chargers) who some feel has underachieved in his four years at the helm . Fortunately for all three they do not work for trigger happy ownership.

Its' faintly ridiculous to sugest that Doug Pedersen is on his way either given what thev Eagles have put up with this year and Eagles Owner Jeffrey Lurie is not that kind of owner anyway.

It is rare that a coach is one and done within a year, Steve Wilks from Arizone might disagree being gioven only the one season in 2018 but the front office had a plan to unite Kliff Kingsbury  seen as a quarterback whisperer  with quarterbcak Kyler Murray. This also involved disposing of first round draft pick Josh Rosen traded to Miami after the one season in Cardinal red.

NFL ownership tends to be in a "win now" mode and that often means "retreds" i.e. experienced head coaches as for every Sean McVey there is a Zak Taylor or a Josh Mc Daniels . The minority candidates doing the Rooney Rule rounds are Jim Caldwell , Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith and Raheem Morris all ex-head coaches. Certainly the first two would be solid hires given what happened in Indianapolis, Detroit and Cinicinatti since their departures.

Of the assistant coaches, Robert Saleh is wanted in Detroit (though does he want to go there) and Eric Bieniemy who is not attracting that much interst due to character issues from his pre-Kansas City days and the fact that as an offensive co-ordinator its kinda easy to look good if you have Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hil. How that translates to working with more mundance talent is yet to be determined. Brian Daboll is now flavour of the month with the success of the Bills Offence and the smart money is on Don "wink" Martindale Defensive Coach at Baltimore to get a shot at a Head Coaching Opportunity.

With the General Manager positions, Louis Riddick from the Monday Night Football Commentary team has been doing the rounds. The problem here is that as with Head Coaches prior experience is valued more than potential and the headhunters Korn Ferry have a big say in promoting their clients to organisations.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/24/gameplan-annual-future-general-manager-list

https://huntscanlon.com/korn-ferry-assists-houston-texans-in-head-coach-and-general-manager-search/

It must be soul destroying for someone like Louis Riddick to be trailing round teams and being used as opart of a box ticking exercise rather than being treated as a solid candidate.

The basic problem lies in the fact that in order to be an experienced candidate you have to have someone give you the job based on potential rather than experience and in a "win now" league that means more jobs available for recycled Head Coaches and General Managers than should perhaps be the case.

International Series News

The 2020 home teams would have been Atlanta, Miami and Jacksonville x 2. No decision will be made until May 2021 depending on the COVID situation but Jacksonville are no longer the team with the lock on London as the agreement with the NFL to take games to the capital has expired. Plus they now have Trevor Lawrence to boost season ticket sales and create leverage for the approval of a leisure and shopping complex next to the Jags Stadium.

Cincinatti's lease on Paul Brown stadium allowed for TWO international Series games before the lease expires in 2026. They have used one of those slots in the tie against Washington but are an option. Moving to a 17 game seasion in 2021 gives the NFL more "inventory" than before so look towards a more even spread of NFL team rather than the Jags as London's anchor tenant. Certainly Mike Florio has been plugging the London "variety pack" of fixtures arther than a franchise line for some years now.

On Tanking and Trevor

There was an important article on Pro Football talk. On how highly drafted Quarterbacks rarely transform dysfunctional organisations. This is true in all sports including rugby league, that no matter who you bring in if the organisation remains dysfunctional no success can be achieved.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/26/highly-drafted-quarterbacks-rarely-transform-bad-franchises/

It has only recently emerged that owner Dan Snyder overuled Washington coaching staff to take draft bust Dwayne Haskins https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/vomit-3-better-choices-inside-the-wft-drafting-of-dwayne-haskins

And of course Jerry Jones had to be dissuaded by the entire room including son Steven from taking the train wreck that was Johnny Manziel over pro bowl guard Zack Martin

For a study in chaos, read this Sports Illustrated Article on the Houston Texans and you might understand JJ Watt;'s sunday cry from the heart that much more.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

A lot of emphasis is put on the draft but you can have a fistful of draft picks but you also need to use them wisely.

and finally.... My faith is not shaken in Jon Gruden, and as the only Head Coach with a $100 million contract and a ten year contract his ternure is secure. The problems are in the defence. I have faith this will be fixed next year. Those having a go at Chucky tend to be the same individuals who used to write on internet messageboard both Raiders and Bucs "i'll take Gruden" every time the head coaching job became available. Have patience, good things come to those who wait. 🏈

George Orwell

Florio isnt a fan of Gruden. Gruden has a ten year contract with the Raiders well that is three of them gone. May he continue  to lead them nowhere for the next seven.

Why my dislike? Many years ago  I listened to a few members of  the Raider nation (sic) bore me  ****less about how nobody had a win record against themin overall head to head. Thankfully  that has now changed.

On 31/12/2020 at 03:37, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Heading towards another NFL tradition - Black Monday. The Monday after the close of the regular season in which many coaches and general managers are shown the door. Fewer look likely to go this year as due to no real pre-season and COVID issues, owners may give their coaching staff a "mulligan" for 2020.

Dead Mean Walking - Adam Gase (New York Jets) and Doug Marrone (Jacksonville Jaguars)

Possibles - Zac Taylor (Cincinnati Bengals) who has proved to be no Sean McVey, Mike Zimmer (Minnisota Vikings) who has yet to get the Vikes near the Super Bowl in seven years and Anthony Lynn (Los Angeles Chargers) who some feel has underachieved in his four years at the helm . Fortunately for all three they do not work for trigger happy ownership.

Its' faintly ridiculous to sugest that Doug Pedersen is on his way either given what thev Eagles have put up with this year and Eagles Owner Jeffrey Lurie is not that kind of owner anyway.

It is rare that a coach is one and done within a year, Steve Wilks from Arizone might disagree being gioven only the one season in 2018 but the front office had a plan to unite Kliff Kingsbury  seen as a quarterback whisperer  with quarterbcak Kyler Murray. This also involved disposing of first round draft pick Josh Rosen traded to Miami after the one season in Cardinal red.

NFL ownership tends to be in a "win now" mode and that often means "retreds" i.e. experienced head coaches as for every Sean McVey there is a Zak Taylor or a Josh Mc Daniels . The minority candidates doing the Rooney Rule rounds are Jim Caldwell , Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith and Raheem Morris all ex-head coaches. Certainly the first two would be solid hires given what happened in Indianapolis, Detroit and Cinicinatti since their departures.

Of the assistant coaches, Robert Saleh is wanted in Detroit (though does he want to go there) and Eric Bieniemy who is not attracting that much interst due to character issues from his pre-Kansas City days and the fact that as an offensive co-ordinator its kinda easy to look good if you have Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hil. How that translates to working with more mundance talent is yet to be determined. Brian Daboll is now flavour of the month with the success of the Bills Offence and the smart money is on Don "wink" Martindale Defensive Coach at Baltimore to get a shot at a Head Coaching Opportunity.

Some interesting points here, I agree with you in that COVID plus the lack of a pre season may keep some coaches in position than would have been the case had it been a normal season. A few weeks ago I was convinced that Gase was being kept around by the Jets just to secure them the no 1 draft pick, however their recent wins over the Rams and the Browns seems to suggest that the Jets don’t really want the #1, what that means for Gase I really don’t know. Marrone does seem like a dead man walking though.

I think Zac Taylor gets a pass given the injury to Joe Burrow, however next year is make or break for him, Anthony Lynn may also get another year to save himself, however he may not survive a full season next year. Mike Zimmer does seem to be on dangerous ground though, Minnesota allowed Stefon Diggs to leave, a great trade for Buffalo but one that looks increasingly bad for the Vikings after another underwhelming season, some of his play calling has also been mystifying this season. One thing that may further reduce the number of coaching changes is the relative lack of outstanding talent in the co ordinator ranks ready to step up, as you say there is some scepticism about Eric Bieniemy’s true abilities, given what he has to work with, plus having Andy Reid as his mentor, a move to a less talented roster may be a true test of his ability, but comes with risk. Saleh has his supporters too, but again would he want any of the potential positions which come available, if Minnesota came up then maybe but some organizations are notoriously dysfunctional, which is why they seem to be hiring every couple of years, so not great for your own long term career prospects. Daboll probably needs to show he can help Buffalo win a play off game before he becomes the go to guy so Martindale may well be the top guy on everyone’s list. Overall I think Jacksonville, Minnesota, NY Jets and of course Detroit being the teams looking for new hires on Monday.

So Ohio State will have the honour of being sacrificed to whichever gods Nick Saban sold his soul to. Bama by 30 in the final in ten days time.

Meanwhile, Bowl Season has largely passed me by this year - just like the season in general which has seemed even more of a sick joke than usual as unpaid lumps of meat take covid risk after covid risk just to keep rich people rich with more TV money. I did enjoy what I saw of the Northwestern-Auburn game yesterday, and Cincinatti-Georgia was tremendous.

Because I am, at heart, a massive hypocrite.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Some interesting points here, I agree with you in that COVID plus the lack of a pre season may keep some coaches in position than would have been the case had it been a normal season. A few weeks ago I was convinced that Gase was being kept around by the Jets just to secure them the no 1 draft pick, however their recent wins over the Rams and the Browns seems to suggest that the Jets don’t really want the #1, what that means for Gase I really don’t know. Marrone does seem like a dead man walking though.

I think Zac Taylor gets a pass given the injury to Joe Burrow, however next year is make or break for him, Anthony Lynn may also get another year to save himself, however he may not survive a full season next year. Mike Zimmer does seem to be on dangerous ground though, Minnesota allowed Stefon Diggs to leave, a great trade for Buffalo but one that looks increasingly bad for the Vikings after another underwhelming season, some of his play calling has also been mystifying this season. One thing that may further reduce the number of coaching changes is the relative lack of outstanding talent in the co ordinator ranks ready to step up, as you say there is some scepticism about Eric Bieniemy’s true abilities, given what he has to work with, plus having Andy Reid as his mentor, a move to a less talented roster may be a true test of his ability, but comes with risk. Saleh has his supporters too, but again would he want any of the potential positions which come available, if Minnesota came up then maybe but some organizations are notoriously dysfunctional, which is why they seem to be hiring every couple of years, so not great for your own long term career prospects. Daboll probably needs to show he can help Buffalo win a play off game before he becomes the go to guy so Martindale may well be the top guy on everyone’s list. Overall I think Jacksonville, Minnesota, NY Jets and of course Detroit being the teams looking for new hires on Monday.

In response, no-one who wants to have a career in the NFL deiberately tank. as that sage observer on the BBC's NFL show Osi Umenyiora puts it there may be no I in team but there is an ME. In the case of the Jets remember the Jets Owner Woody Johnson has been US ambassador to the UK these four years, with the departure of "the Don" I suspect Jets staffers are waiting for Woody's return before making crucial decisions on the club's future.

Having seen the highlights of Clemson v Ohio State, despite the limited body of work to evaluate, I am of the view that the Jets might have lucked out here by being in second place in the draft and probably taking OSU QB Justin Fields over Trevor Lawrence who in my opinion will be a bust in Jacksonville.

I think we are agreed about Mike Zimmer, You have a shelf life whatever job you do before the message goes stale. If your winning silverware then tha's one thing but if your not then it's time to go . For the abrasive "Zim" to come out with a line such as this being the worst defence he has ever coached, is through its attempt at defection, a sign that the coach is under pressure.

You can make a case that it was others who are responsible for the plight of the Vikings signing Kirk Cousions to a three year $84 million guaranteedcontract and then extending this for a further 2 years at $66 million guaranteed (excluding signing bonus of $30 million) meaning by 2022 he will be taking up 20% of Minnisota's salary cap for a QB who is good but not great.

Great Quarterbacks are hard to find and it often means overpaying for good QB's who are not game changers in their own right. Jared Goff being another example at LA Rams and of course Dak Prescott whose salary negociations will be the story of this off season. Reputedly Dak wants moe than the Cowboys offer of around $35 million annually with $106 million in guaranteed money, which tallies to a five-year, $175 million deal. The market rate having been set by Cousins and Goff. Now while I like Dak who has improved year on year. He is good but he is not that good .

George Orwell

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

In response, no-one who wants to have a career in the NFL deiberately tank. as that sage observer on the BBC's NFL show Osi Umenyiora puts it there may be no I in team but there is an ME. In the case of the Jets remember the Jets Owner Woody Johnson has been US ambassador to the UK these four years, with the departure of "the Don" I suspect Jets staffers are waiting for Woody's return before making crucial decisions on the club's future.

Having seen the highlights of Clemson v Ohio State, despite the limited body of work to evaluate, I am of the view that the Jets might have lucked out here by being in second place in the draft and probably taking OSU QB Justin Fields over Trevor Lawrence who in my opinion will be a bust in Jacksonville.

I think we are agreed about Mike Zimmer, You have a shelf life whatever job you do before the message goes stale. If your winning silverware then tha's one thing but if your not then it's time to go . For the abrasive "Zim" to come out with a line such as this being the worst defence he has ever coached, is through its attempt at defection, a sign that the coach is under pressure.

You can make a case that it was others who are responsible for the plight of the Vikings signing Kirk Cousions to a three year $84 million guaranteedcontract and then extending this for a further 2 years at $66 million guaranteed (excluding signing bonus of $30 million) meaning by 2022 he will be taking up 20% of Minnisota's salary cap for a QB who is good but not great.

Great Quarterbacks are hard to find and it often means overpaying for good QB's who are not game changers in their own right. Jared Goff being another example at LA Rams and of course Dak Prescott whose salary negociations will be the story of this off season. Reputedly Dak wants moe than the Cowboys offer of around $35 million annually with $106 million in guaranteed money, which tallies to a five-year, $175 million deal. The market rate having been set by Cousins and Goff. Now while I like Dak who has improved year on year. He is good but he is not that good .

Both my eldest son, who plays college football on the offensive line, and myself, are of the opinion that Fields will not be a success in the NFL unless he is fortunate to land on a team with strong QB coaching. He is the latest in a long line of OSU QB’s who have struggled to transition from the college game to the pros. OSU tends not to produce great QB’s but does produce exceptional running backs, which can help take some of the pressure off the QB by opening up play action, having also watched yesterday I feel that Trey Sermon did his own draft chances a power of good. With respect to Lawrence I’m torn, I don’t think he will be a bust, but also not the next great thing, Jacksonville will not be a good landing spot unless there is a major overhaul of coaching there. In fact the Jags have a number of roster holes and may be better placed trying to trade down and acquire more picks for a rebuild. Oh and you correctly say players don’t tank, they can’t afford to when their career is so short, however coaches and GM’s do it all the time, but it is a very risky game, even the Colts famous tanking for Andrew Luck hardly paid dividends!

So Adam Gase didn’t even make it to Monday! Whoever takes over at the Jets has a massive task on their hands, lots of roster holes to plug. Do you use the #2 overall pick or offer it as a package to try to acquire more picks and rebuild your roster? Remember this has been a year of limited college action so you need to have real confidence in your drafting ability.

8 hours ago, Oldbear said:

So Adam Gase didn’t even make it to Monday! Whoever takes over at the Jets has a massive task on their hands, lots of roster holes to plug. Do you use the #2 overall pick or offer it as a package to try to acquire more picks and rebuild your roster? Remember this has been a year of limited college action so you need to have real confidence in your drafting ability.

I was reading the Jets were $80m under the cap this year. Spending up to the  cap would plug a few holes. 

Are there ownership issues we know nothing about? 

Archived