NFL/College 2020/2021

4 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

I was reading the Jets were $80m under the cap this year. Spending up to the  cap would plug a few holes. 

Are there ownership issues we know nothing about? 

You mean apart from them being a dysfunctional organization which burns through draft picks and has a poor record in free agency? A new, competent GM and the right coaching hire is essential.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony Lynn and Doug Marrone are also now looking for work. Jacksonville are also looking for a new GM, could get interesting in Duval County!

The Chargers will be an attractive job as they do have some talent and have Herbert. The Jags do have the number 1 pick and also have a lot of salary cap space so would there is the opportunity to build a team. The Texans do have Watson but have salary cap issues and would probably have to let players go before they can bring anyone in. The Falcons have some good players on offence and who would want to go to the Lions or the Jets?

Like to see the Bills do it. Remember Marv Levy taking them to 4 superbowls in a row that sadly they lost.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm really looking forward to the playoffs. I loosely 'support' the Jags, but I've got a couple of friends who like the Bills, so I'm hoping they do well. I also especially enjoy watching Lamar Jackson, so I'd like to see Baltimore go far too.

The NFL playoffs are one of my favourite times of the sporting year and there are some good looking match ups. I'm not keen on having seven teams from each conference in the playoffs but now that it has been done for this year it will probably be here to stay.

On 04/01/2021 at 12:23, Liverpool Rover said:

The Chargers will be an attractive job as they do have some talent and have Herbert. The Jags do have the number 1 pick and also have a lot of salary cap space so would there is the opportunity to build a team. The Texans do have Watson but have salary cap issues and would probably have to let players go before they can bring anyone in. The Falcons have some good players on offence and who would want to go to the Lions or the Jets?

Jags, Jets and Lions jobs depend heavily on who is hired for GM, the right hire could give a coach a great chance to stamp their mark on things, Chargers is an attractive job, as is the Falcons, both have relatively patient owners,, Texans are in cap hell so look less attractive despite having Watson.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 06/01/2021 at 13:45, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Over the years Houston has become a bit of a basket case of a team, with much of the dysfunction being hid by star performances from the likes of Hopkins, Watt and Watson. Now the former has gone, JJ is nearing the end of his career and Watson has pretty much single handedly carried the team for the past 2 seasons. Their salary cap position is a mess, their drafting has been poor in recent times and with a lack of talent on both sides of the ball a major rebuild is on the cards, given that who could blame Watson if he wants out rather than wasting some more of his prime years on a losing franchise. Additionally the new GM may find that trading Watson for picks and or players to assist in the rebuild is an attractive option.

17 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Over the years Houston has become a bit of a basket case of a team, with much of the dysfunction being hid by star performances from the likes of Hopkins, Watt and Watson. Now the former has gone, JJ is nearing the end of his career and Watson has pretty much single handedly carried the team for the past 2 seasons. Their salary cap position is a mess, their drafting has been poor in recent times and with a lack of talent on both sides of the ball a major rebuild is on the cards, given that who could blame Watson if he wants out rather than wasting some more of his prime years on a losing franchise. Additionally the new GM may find that trading Watson for picks and or players to assist in the rebuild is an attractive option.

It seems Deshaun does wants out

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/07/report-deshaun-watson-extremely-unhappy-with-texans/

and now Matt Eberflus has turned diown an offer to interview fior the head coach position.

While I understand the ownerships desire to get Deshaun on board having traded away both his main offensive weapon and their high level draft picks ensuring the club will be the proverbial dumpster fire in the short to medium term. It's rare in any job you get a say in choosing your boss and your bosses boss (General Manager) Even more so when having heard his choice (Eric Bieniemy) you then decide to go elsewhere - not a textbook case of managing expectations

Now as we know in Rugby League, a contract only seems to work one way with certain people, if you get an injury you and your agent expect to be paid up as per your contract but if YOU dont like it anymore you just play up (i.e. Jalen Ramsey) and get traded as the Organisation dispenses with an unhappy camper. The consioltaion being draft picks which give you the opportunity to get right in the medium to long term the flip side of course being some cellar dwelling seasons in the short term.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

18 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Now as we know in Rugby League, a contract only seems to work one way with certain people, if you get an injury you and your agent expect to be paid up as per your contract but if YOU dont like it anymore you just play up (i.e. Jalen Ramsey) and get traded as the Organisation dispenses with an unhappy camper

A couple of things to note though, if you get hurt you only get the guaranteed element of your contract, that’s why it’s incorrect to focus on the total amount because very few players get it. Also because the NFL can be such a short career a player has a very short window when they are truly in their prime and therefore in a position to win things. I know for QBs this is a bigger window than pretty much any other position but I’m sure Watson is thinking that in 5 years time he doesn’t want to be still in a dumpster fire watching other QBs, some of which are less talented, collecting Super Bowls. Deshaun has always struck me as a very decent person, he does great work in his community and has given his all for a team who rewarded him with poor drafting and some very dumb trades, hardly building a team around him. Question now is where will he end up?

Nice acknowledgement  of his late co presenter Kevin Cadle by Neil Reynolds at the end of the game on Sky. Kevin always expressed his love of the Bills

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

9 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Not really if you look at things in detail. Despite winning a SB he appeared to be in a major war with his franchise QB,(Wentz) and has allowed the roster to become populated by older, injury prone players on big contracts. Finally the strange decisions made in the last regular season loss against Washington seem to have alienated his players, I think the only surprise is that GM Howie Roseman, who also presided over some of the roster construction, is not on his way out too, although I guess there’s still time.

Bill Belichick declines  Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump.

From profootball talk Belichick now believes that the man he openly supported for the office of presidency  in 2016 has behaved in a way that cannot be reconciled with notions of social justice, equality and human rights.

Respect sir respect

Watched the Bills, Ravens, and (1st half) Browns games. Great performance by the Browns to go 28-0 up in the 1st quarter. Pittsburgh were all over the place early on. Pleased that Bills got over the line against the Colts, although a bit disappointed that they will now face the Ravens. Was hoping that would have been avoided until the next round. Now have to decide whether to back the Bills or Lamar.

11 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Now have to decide whether to back the Bills or Lamar.

Good luck with that one, I can run scenarios through my mind that favour either team. I think the key is can Buffalos O Line keep Josh Allen relatively unmolested, if they can, then I think he picks them apart with completions to Diggs, Beasley and the tight ends and the Bills win. If however Allen finds himself under pressure the entire game then he will be rushed into turning the ball over and Baltimore are built to take advantage. Either way this is too close to call.

The Browns getting talked up in The Athletic as having a real chance of pulling off a major upset in Kansas City by some contributors.  Going beyond the various matchups on the field - do they have that ‘team of destiny’ feel?

Its certainly the best vintage I can remember since the Kosar, Newsome and Byner era.  I remember watching on American tv as a lucky young lad on holiday when the Broncos were breaking hearts (sorry to mention it Browns’ fans).

Obviously many are pointing to a run based strategy being the main weakness if they fall behind to a high powered Chiefs offense.  Despite that there’s not the same home field advantage as in years gone by and momentum is a big thing in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for tomorrows Bucs v Packers game. Tom Brady may be the GOAT but Aarron Rodgers is a more complete quarterback. Still backing the Bucs, No Antonio Brown but Mike Evans is there and I expect Tampa to run the bal against a suspect Green Bay defence.

With the other game heart says Buffalo, head say Kansas City with Mahomes playing but what the heck, I will take the Bills momentum to carry them through.

It's going to be interesting how the playoff teams perform next year. it has been a strange year with no off season and COVID. Rosters will be different and the Preview mags thta come ouut in July in the UK - Lindys Pro Football, Street and Smith's Pro Football and Athlon Sports Pro Football all make their predictions based on 2020 form and some teams I expect to go into sharp decline liuke the Rams.

George Orwell

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

It's going to be interesting how the playoff teams perform next year. it has been a strange year with no off season and COVID. Rosters will be different and the Preview mags thta come ouut in July in the UK - Lindys Pro Football, Street and Smith's Pro Football and Athlon Sports Pro Football all make their predictions based on 2020 form and some teams I expect to go into sharp decline liuke the Rams.

The next few months are going to be fascinating. The salary cap is actually going down, so players entering free agency are going to find the pickings a little less lucrative this time. Add to that no combine to assess potential draft talent, a limited college season to look at film, plus the likelihood that a whole host of changes at the coordinator level are going to be finalized soon. Plenty to keep us occupied during the off season.

Right so around about now is when I start watching NFL each year.

Can anyone give me a one line reason why I should or shouldn't support any of the remaining teams. My only existing bias is that Tampa and Tom Brady can go to hell.

9 hours ago, M j M said:

Right so around about now is when I start watching NFL each year.

Can anyone give me a one line reason why I should or shouldn't support any of the remaining teams. My only existing bias is that Tampa and Tom Brady can go to hell.

Support Buffalo as lovable losers.  They’ve never won the Super Bowl before and are the underdogs against defending champions Kansas City in the AFC Championship game.

Funnily enough the only NFL game I’ve been to actually in America was the Buffalo Bills @ the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1988.  The Bills were heading for the playoffs at the time and the Bucs had a woeful team.

Happily though the Bucs won 10-5 in the only ever instance of that scoreline in NFL history.  The Bills then went on to become one of the best teams in the NFL but actually lost the Super Bowl four years in a row!  Ouch!

Archived