NFL/College 2020/2021

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All hail the 🐐.

One thing that is not getting as much currency as it should is that the Buccaners will be training at One Buc Place just a stones throw from Raymond James Stadium over the next fortnight wheras the Chiefs will only fly in 48 hours prior to the game in a COVID departure from the normal hoopla of Super Bowl week.

Its this kind of slight edge a side needs to compete against the Chiefs

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Disappointed for the Bills, but Kansas were worthy winners. I can't see Tampa being able to stop them, but you never know. Home advantage and Brady's experience, etc.

Two things stood out for me in that game.

1) The Buccaneers defence played great just at the moment Brady was throwing multiple interceptions in the second half.  They stopped the Packers from getting real points from those turnovers which was critical.

2) Trailing by 8 points with 4th and goal and the season’s MVP at quarterback - Green Bay’s head coach decides to kick a field goal with less than three minutes remaining!

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Dolphins will have some team next year if they can land him in combination with their strong defence.

He might be tempted by the Jets, new coaching staff (he is reported to like Robert Saleh), lots of salary cap space, plus an extra first round draft pick courtesy of the Jamal Adams trade to Seattle.

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Dolphins will have some team next year if they can land him in combination with their strong defence.

They always have some team, usually about average, or worse.

Dolphins had the first 100% season, maybe the next 100% loss.

Rams well and truly sheared. This is a blockbuster trade but horrible for the LA Rams long term.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/31/los-angeles-rams-star-power-cost-matthew-stafford

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Rams well and truly sheared. This is a blockbuster trade but horrible for the LA Rams long term.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/31/los-angeles-rams-star-power-cost-matthew-stafford

Personally thought Stafford would have been more suited to Indy, from one domed stadium to another.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the Stafford-Goff trade does make sense for an LA franchise desperate for a championship to make a big dint in their own market.

Correct, Rams are in a win now mode, plus they need to build credibility in LA.

7 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Personally thought Stafford would have been more suited to Indy, from one domed stadium to another.

You seen any pics of that new LA stadium, it’s beautiful and roofed.

George Orwell

19 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Understandable, after all he suffered Matt Patricias coaching for the past couple of seasons. I really like Stanford, I feel that he now has a chance to showcase himself, and thankfully he got out of Detroit, the waster of talents such as Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson. The only issue is by going to the Rams, it just made my Seahawks chances of winning NFCWest much more difficult.

5 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Understandable, after all he suffered Matt Patricias coaching for the past couple of seasons. I really like Stanford, I feel that he now has a chance to showcase himself, and thankfully he got out of Detroit, the waster of talents such as Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson. The only issue is by going to the Rams, it just made my Seahawks chances of winning NFCWest much more difficult.

I do think that LA have got the better QB in this trade.

Just now, Liverpool Rover said:

I do think that LA have got the better QB in this trade.

Without a doubt. As an aside do you guys get the “All or Nothing” series on Amazon Prime, I don’t just assume because we don’t get the “We are League” series in Canada. Anyhow if you do, watch the LA Rams one, it covers the season Goff is drafted till Jeff Fisher gets fired as coach, the impression Goff gives is one of a decent guy who struggles with NFL playing styles and although that was a few years ago, not much seems to have changed.

Interesting not just in this intervioew with Colin Cowherd but also appeariong in the book The Dynasty quite a few ex-Patriots have less than warm feeling for Bill Belichick

"I had to negotiate my contract 3 years in a row by myself, take pay cuts to help him and put rings on his fingers. It kind of wore me the wrong way." —

on parting ways with Bill Belichick & the Patriots

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1356707522866892800

George Orwell

23 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Interesting not just in this intervioew with Colin Cowherd but also appeariong in the book The Dynasty quite a few ex-Patriots have less than warm feeling for Bill Belichick

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1356707522866892800

Bellichek has always been a polarizing character though, you are either fully with him or not, I’m not sure I have that much sympathy for Danny Amendola, Bellichek gave him his chance and he got a few rings, and pretty well paid too. There are many NFL receivers with much more talent (Larry Fitzgerald for instance), who would have loved just one of those rings.

On 01/02/2021 at 17:54, Oldbear said:

Are you part of the estimated 10% of fans in Centurylink field who are Canadian and make the trip from Vancouver down to Seattle (or at least used to pre-covid)?

Do you watch te BC Lions as well or are you one of the Canadians who prefers the NFL over the CFL?

George Orwell

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Are you part of the estimated 10% of fans in Centurylink field who are Canadian and make the trip from Vancouver down to Seattle (or at least used to pre-covid)?

Do you watch te BC Lions as well or are you one of the Canadians who prefers the NFL over the CFL?

I sadly do not make regular trips to Centurylink (now actually Lumen) field, mainly because pre Covid tickets were pretty much impossible to come by, unless you were well connected to an existing Season Ticket holder or are prepared to sell a kidney to buy from a scalper. I have been on the ST wait list since 2012, I’m told there’s still another 7,500 names ahead of me, so the chances of me getting one whilst I’m still healthy enough to make the trek ( it’s now 2 hours longer since I relocated to the Okanagan) is probably slim. 

When we lived in North Vancouver I did take in some Lions games from time to time, one of my eldest sons former teammates is a Full Back on the Lions, so it was good to go to cheer for David if nothing else, however it has to be said that the brand of football the Lions have served up for the past few years is not very audience friendly and now I’m 4 hours drive from Vancouver over 2 mountain passes I won’t be trekking there too often in the future unless the new coach serves up something exciting. For what it’s worth Lions crowds have been on the decline for some years now, partly due to CFL being seen more as appealing to an older, more downmarket crowd, many of whom have moved out of Vancouver due to affordability (a leasehold, terraced, townhouse in Van will run you at least $1 million, single family detached home over $2 million, also gives you a clue why I relocated), and partly because the NFL is seen as more attractive (even though getting tickets is so hard, TV coverage is excellent though). Again the poor quality football served up by the Lions has not helped either.

I watch both NFL and CFL on TV, although I have to say that if there’s a clash the NFL game wins. I also have to say that the CFL commentary is a bit of a Canadian version of Baz & Tez, whereas the NFL commentary is light years ahead. Obviously CFL players are paid nowhere near NFL players as there is just not that kind of money in the sport, and the career is just as short. My eldest son would have been draft eligible this year, but for Covid, but he had already said that he was unlikely to pursue the CFL draft as he didn’t see himself getting taken before the 5th round, and the money is just not worth it, like many Canadian University players he will have used his time wisely to get a good degree, and use the football scholarship to partly pay for the cost (no full ride scholarships allowed in CIS football).

On 01/02/2021 at 23:45, Oldbear said:

Without a doubt. As an aside do you guys get the “All or Nothing” series on Amazon Prime, I don’t just assume because we don’t get the “We are League” series in Canada. Anyhow if you do, watch the LA Rams one, it covers the season Goff is drafted till Jeff Fisher gets fired as coach, the impression Goff gives is one of a decent guy who struggles with NFL playing styles and although that was a few years ago, not much seems to have changed.

We do get All or Nothing, it's what got me back into NFL. 

Archived