NFL/College 2020/2021

Backing up Old Bears comments if you want to read another forum where doom and gloom reigns try the CFL forum. Some can draw the obvious parallells between Rugby League and Canadian Football. Questions Of Dealing with a larger competitor, Expansion and Identity for starters

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Backing up Old Bears comments if you want to read another forum where doom and gloom reigns try the CFL forum. Some can draw the obvious parallells between Rugby League and Canadian Football. Questions Of Dealing with a larger competitor, Expansion and Identity for starters

Or even the CIS (Canadian University Sports), football forum. Not only is there a pretty healthy dose of doom and gloom, but there are some very sketchy opinions regarding COVID. I used to go on there because my son plays in that league, however it’s so soul destroying I had to give up, plus it’s difficult to keep your cool when some real lunatic theories are spewed out.

Seriously though RL could take a close look at the struggles of the CFL, as it is very much a league which is in great danger of being left behind, given that it has not been successful in reaching out to younger audiences and is increasingly looking like a competition that appeals to a declining audience, with obvious consequences as to how it is both portrayed on TV and the level of exposure. Maybe we can learn some lessons to help us arrest the decline that it feels like we are currently in.

Carson Wentz from Philadelphia to Indianapolis. Now given super bowl winning coach Doug Pederson was sacked for benching Wentz in favour of Justin Fields, with owner Jeffrey Lurie wanting to defend the Eagles "investment" in Wentz and retain him as the starter, things do not seem to have turned out as planned....😂

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/18/eagles-agree-to-trade-carson-wentz-to-colts/

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

• 1 month later...

George Orwell

On 12/02/2021 at 19:30, Oldbear said:

Or even the CIS (Canadian University Sports), football forum. Not only is there a pretty healthy dose of doom and gloom, but there are some very sketchy opinions regarding COVID. I used to go on there because my son plays in that league, however it’s so soul destroying I had to give up, plus it’s difficult to keep your cool when some real lunatic theories are spewed out.

Seriously though RL could take a close look at the struggles of the CFL, as it is very much a league which is in great danger of being left behind, given that it has not been successful in reaching out to younger audiences and is increasingly looking like a competition that appeals to a declining audience, with obvious consequences as to how it is both portrayed on TV and the level of exposure. Maybe we can learn some lessons to help us arrest the decline that it feels like we are currently in.

Just noticed this.

In a sign of desperation (I don't see what else to call it) the CFL/XFL have signed an exploratory partnership agreement.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just noticed this.

In a sign of desperation (I don't see what else to call it) the CFL/XFL have signed an exploratory partnership agreement.

Think you got it right, Canadian stand alone sports comps are in pretty desperate circumstances right now, unless there’s US money involved times are tough.

jUst a question old bear, if the CFL tied the knot with the Rock and the XFL are we talking 3 Down CFL Football or 4 down NFL style football because that's the main stumbling block.

Eleven on the field not 12 , Shorter End Zones, No More singles or "Rouge" as well.

George Orwell

11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

jUst a question old bear, if the CFL tied the knot with the Rock and the XFL are we talking 3 Down CFL Football or 4 down NFL style football because that's the main stumbling block.

Eleven on the field not 12 , Shorter End Zones, No More singles or "Rouge" as well.

At the minute, I think nobody has a clue. All I've seen is that they are exploring possibilities but nothing beyond that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Like GJ says, it’s early days and no one really has a clue. Football in Canada can be confusing at the best of times, at the high school level all provinces bar BC plays CFL rules (BC plays American), university football plays Canadian rules so what’s another layer of complexity!

32 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Like GJ says, it’s early days and no one really has a clue. Football in Canada can be confusing at the best of times, at the high school level all provinces bar BC plays CFL rules (BC plays American), university football plays Canadian rules so what’s another layer of complexity!

I know Canadians are a proud people, but would not standardisation with the United States rulebook help both Canadian prospects and also attracting ageing/cut US talent to the CFL?

I understand there’s differences between the US college game and the NFL anyway and of course the XFL/insert name of whatever start up spring league.

I spent some time in Toronto many years ago and although I was taken to see the Argonauts at a youthful SkyDome the real passion seemed to be reserved for the NFL and the Bills.

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I know Canadians are a proud people, but would not standardisation with the United States rulebook help both Canadian prospects and also attracting ageing/cut US talent to the CFL?

I understand there’s differences between the US college game and the NFL anyway and of course the XFL/insert name of whatever start up spring league.

I spent some time in Toronto many years ago and although I was taken to see the Argonauts at a youthful SkyDome the real passion seemed to be reserved for the NFL and the Bills.

Don’t disagree with you at all, in Vancouver the only interest is in the Seahawks not the Lions, CFL has very much an ageing supporter profile drawn from more small blue collar towns, logging towns like Merritt will be much more supportive of the CFL but only via TV due to the travel distance to games and the reality is that the CFL TV deal is the only thing keeping the league alive. 
My eldest son played 4 years in high school here in BC under US rules and actually attracted scholarship offers from some minor US universities, he stayed in Canada because of the better caliber of degree offered to him (which is what it’s always been about for him), but his first year at Western was very weird as he had to learn to play in the Canadian system and it probably cost him a fair bit of game time. If there were standardized rules then it might actually help the high school players coming through but I think the battle is more political than that.

19 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I understand there’s differences between the US college game and the NFL anyway

There are but they aren't really that significant. As a casual viewer, the only one you'd really notice is that a catch in college can be completed with one foot in bounds rather than two. There are some clock differences. A few penalties are different or weighted differently. The rest are technical.

CFL has far, far more differences.

George Orwell

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are but they aren't really that significant. As a casual viewer, the only one you'd really notice is that a catch in college can be completed with one foot in bounds rather than two. There are some clock differences. A few penalties are different or weighted differently. The rest are technical.

CFL has far, far more differences.

The other big difference between NCAA and NFL rules relate to the calling of penalties, pass interference in NCAA is not at the spot of the foul, and of course the targeting rule is much stricter in NCAA (player welfare issues). CFL is basically a whole different rule book.

23 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

How to completely half-ass something. The logical step is 18 games with 2 pre season matches. I just don't see the point in a 17 game season versus a 16 games season.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

How to completely half-ass something. The logical step is 18 games with 2 pre season matches. I just don't see the point in a 17 game season versus a 16 games season.

The owners did want 18, guessing the players association has played tough, ironic to increase the number of league games the year the salary cap actually went down.

18 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm an NFL expert (having watched all series of All or Nothing and played copious amounts of Retro Bowl on my phone) and couldn't believe the fixture schedule when I became more familiar with it. 

The idea that the Jets get a game against the Giants every 4 years and a home game every 8 is incredible.

I'm most disappointed by the extra game because it makes the perfect season one game more difficult. 

Atlanta Falcons are coming to London in October 2021

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/atlanta-falcons-plan-to-travel-to-london-in-october

They will be one of the two "Home" teams to play at Tottenham Hotspur stadium. Last year Miami were scheduled to be the other team to come over and having got an additional home game through being in the AFC are still likely

The International Series has been cut from 4 games to 2 with the proviso that individual NFL sides can arrnge their own overseas fixtures. Last year the Jacksonville Jaguars were due to play at Wembley twice. this was before Trevor Lawrence and Urban Meyer. It should also be noted that

• Jacksonville Jaguars agrrement to be the London "anchor team" has expired
  • Wembley Stadium's agreement with the NFL expired last year
  • Jacksonville being an AFC Team have 9 home games this year

That said Jacksonvilee are in discussions with Wembley about playing one home game.there.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12261907/nfl-international-games-fa-confirms-talks-with-jacksonville-jaguars-over-wembley-games

Still it will be a drop in games from 4 to 3☹️

EDIT : although it needs to be added that Atlanta fans will opnly see 7 home games this year wheras some AFC teams will have nine Home games.

George Orwell

• 1 month later...

Archived