NFL/College 2020/2021

Thought a new thread might be in order for a new season.

Biggest news at the moment is off the field and a likely nickname change for the Washington Redskins.

This has been gathering momentum for years and looks to have reached a critical mass now with the intervention of sponsors like FedEx and kit suppliers Nike.

I have been reading this morning that Washington’s head coach is quoted as saying the change could happen before the upcoming season with two alternative nicknames in the mix.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment the new name being proposed for the Redskins is the Red Tails. The Red Tails being the name given to fighter pilots  of African and Caribbean  descent in the American air force in the second world war.

I shall run the tipping competition again this season.Free to enter to all as the Saw Doctors sing we are all the one.

There will be a prize to the winner. I'm open to suggestions to what that should be within reason of course.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thought a new thread might be in order for a new season.

Biggest news at the moment is off the field and a likely nickname change for the Washington Redskins.

This has been gathering momentum for years and looks to have reached a critical mass now with the intervention of sponsors like FedEx and kit suppliers Nike.

I have been reading this morning that Washington’s head coach is quoted as saying the change could happen before the upcoming season with two alternative nicknames in the mix.

Very pleased to see this finally happening. It's a horrible nickname and I, for one, will welcome the Washington Communist Overlords to the NFL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 05/07/2020 at 19:36, Irish Saint said:

At the moment the new name being proposed for the Redskins is the Red Tails. The Red Tails being the name given to fighter pilots  of African and Caribbean  descent in the American air force in the second world war.

I shall run the tipping competition again this season.Free to enter to all as the Saw Doctors sing we are all the one.

There will be a prize to the winner. I'm open to suggestions to what that should be within reason of course.

If you’re happy to run the competition then I will buy a prize of some official NFL merchandise for the team of the winner’s choice to be purchased nearer the time.

For those who don’t know, Irish Saint provided an amazing prize of an NFL Anniversary book last year to myself.  So as winner from last year I’m happy to provide a reward for this year.

It will probably be something like an NFL headwear type beanie rather than anything too expensive.

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It will probably be something like an NFL headwear type beanie rather than anything too expensive.

Might as well order a Cleveland Browns one right now as "this is my year"*

*quote on loan from Warrington 😉

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you’re happy to run the competition then I will buy a prize of some official NFL merchandise for the team of the winner’s choice to be purchased nearer the time.

For those who don’t know, Irish Saint provided an amazing prize of an NFL Anniversary book last year to myself.  So as winner from last year I’m happy to provide a reward for this year.

Lucky. You were lucky.

Good effort on the prize front...

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Ivy League moving all autumn sports to the spring. Big 10 says football will be played in its normal season but conference games only.

Have to say, I cannot see an NCAA season happening in its usual time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 10/07/2020 at 07:30, gingerjon said:

Ivy League moving all autumn sports to the spring. Big 10 says football will be played in its normal season but conference games only.

Have to say, I cannot see an NCAA season happening in its usual time.

Hard to say what will actually happen, SEC, BIG10, PAC12, ACC and BIG12 (the so called power 5 conferences), have lucrative TV deals and those TV companies want some games to cover so they will probably find a way. The lesser Div1 conferences, plus Div2 have the same problems as USports in Canada in that there’s no TV deal and if no or very few fans are allowed then it costs money to play, plus testing would be very expensive because you would have to test the entire roster, not just the game day actives. My son has heard rumour of a spring comp for his team (Canadian USports) but it will all depend on whether fans are allowed as otherwise it’s uneconomic (and that’s a team that has been National Champion, beaten finalist and conference runner up in the three seasons he has played there and also has a good portfolio of sponsors, probably better than 3-4 Super League teams) and if his team management is saying that then any football below US power 5 is in doubt. That then brings the question about what happens with next years drafts for NFL and especially CFL for although the vast majority of players come from Power5 teams a decent minority come from FCS, Div2 and USports. My own son would have been draft eligible next year and although he isn’t planning at looking at a pro career (CFL wages are a joke and few last more than 3 years), some of his team mates are, and as a result may miss out.

Thirty players  have opted out of the upcoming season. The most notable being  Dont'a Hightower and Patrick Cheung both starters in the Patriots defensive.

Players have until August 4th to opt out.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• 2 weeks later...

To celebrate a new five year deal with the NFL Sky are to unveil a dedicated  NFL channel from September 3rd ,season starts on the 10th Sky Sports Acrion 407 will become Sky NFL. Five live games will be shown per week  Thankfully Red Zone is also included in the package.

One downside is that the sports that were on 407 and 408 will now be confined to 408. It looks like Sky are going to make some cuts in their sports coverage.

10 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

To celebrate a new five year deal with the NFL Sky are to unveil a dedicated  NFL channel from September 3rd ,season starts on the 10th Sky Sports Acrion 407 will become Sky NFL. Five live games will be shown per week  Thankfully Red Zone is also included in the package.

One downside is that the sports that were on 407 and 408 will now be confined to 408. It looks like Sky are going to make some cuts in their sports coverage.

Given the number of colleges and conferences now opting out of an autumn season, there could be some Saturday games for Sky to show.

• 4 weeks later...

The NFL is now live on FTA on Channel 5 as well as he BBC

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-nfl-returns-to-channel-5

Along with the dedicated NFL channel through US owned Comcast (SKY)

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

With the NFL season about to start there are some key themes to wtach out for this season.

For starters this season could be determined by who handles the absence of fans / low number of fans in the stadium best and who starts off best without a pre-season. You can expect the first few rounds to be fumble-fest with teams not even scrimmaging against each other.

Don't write off the New England Patriots because I think you will find that Cam Newton is a man on a mission this year. Not picked up until late by master coach Bill Belicheck Cam's profesional pride must be hurting. ignore the on and off field showboating - Cam can play and represents a different type of Quarterback than Tom Brady, Brady being a pocket passer while Cam is more a mobile threat. The drawback to which is once you leave the pocket you are a legitimate target and Cam has taken afew hits over the years hence the hesitancy in aquiring him.

Which brings me on to Lamar Jackson a quarterback / running back. As with Cam the big problem here is the number of hits your starting quarterback takes. Baltimore fans must be praying to whatever Idol they worship each evening that Lamar avoids an ACL injury as that will be game over for the Ravens.

Expectations are always high in Dallas where football is king but should America's team stutter in the fiorst few weeks then expect fan pressure for the texan native Andy Dalton, the red Rifle, to replace Dak at Quarterback. Dak not the only one under pressure, its a long time since Eziekiel Elliott made more than just the obligatory 3-4 yard gain at the line of scrimmage, Zeke has been paid unlike Dak but that will not stop the fans ushing for Tony Pollard to be taking more snaps. Though Dallas are loaded at wide reciever, its still predominately a ground and pound team controlling the clock.

Ex-Oakland Raiders Quarterback Jim Plunkett once said "The road from Penthouse to Outhouse is a swift one" LA Rams coach Sean McVey could be pondering this soon. Only a couple of years ago Mr Enthusiam was the hottest thing in NFL coaches with owners setting out to find their McVey clone, a young media savvy coach. With the Rams having bet the farm on winning the super bowl two years ago . The team starts in the new So Fi Stadium as potentailly fourth in the tough NFC West.

The Las Vegas Raiders coached by John Gruden known to all as "chucky" (after his resemblance to the serial killer toy in Child's play). Gruden signed a 10 year contract with Mark Davis - He of the incredibly bad haircut but astute business deals,- in order to make the required changes in the Raiders Locker room and although he retains the loyalty of "The Black Hole" even die hard Raiders fans are baffled by some of the recruitment decisions made by Gruden and Mike Mayock and of course the quarterback saga continues with Derek Carr a born again Christain  preaching in the dressing room. This jason Robinsonesque behaviour has similarily gone down like a line of sick. It probably contributes to Chucky's ambivalance towars him and the decision to have first round draft bust Marcus Mariota in from Tennesee Titans on the roster to unsuccessfully challenge himn for the starters job. If things go badly how long will Riders Nation keep the faith ?

Enjoy the season you can't miss it on SKY NFL, BBC or Channel 5.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Predictions for the new NFL season:

AFC East:  Buffalo Bills

AFC North:  Baltimore Ravens

AFC South:  Indianapolis Colts

AFC West:  Kansas City Chiefs

AFC Wildcards: Houston Texans, New England Patriots,  Cincinnati Bengals

NFC East:  Dallas Cowboys

NFC North:  Green Bay Packers 

NFC South:  New Orleans Saints

NFC West:  San Francisco 49ers

NFC Wildcards:  Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles

AFC Championship Game:  Buffalo Bills @ Kansas City Chiefs 

NFC Championship Game:  Seattle Seahawks @ New Orleans Saints

Super Bowl:  Kansas City Chiefs vs New Orleans Saints

World Champion: Kansas City Chiefs

13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Kansas City’s crowd boo a moment’s silence for racial equality.

Pretty disgraceful really.

It was never about disrespecting the flag.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Kansas City’s crowd boo a moment’s silence for racial equality.

Pretty disgraceful really.

To think people look at me strangely when I say the older I get the more i prefer the company of my cats to people😀

Any predictions for this season?

I think today the Dolphins might upset the Patriots even in New England.

There’s a lot of sub plots, “sorceror vs apprentice” being just one of them when comparing the head coach for each team

I’m not sure the young hungry Dolphins are the complete package, but they must have a hope of springing a surprise after their good form last year.

I admit there’s some “Any Given Sunday” logic going on here.

————

My team, the Washington Football Teamers, have no name and no real hope of postseason play.

The name change was slow in coming and I have no problem with it at all.

The next big change needed at the organisation is the sale of the team by Dan Snyder and the birth of a whole new culture in every aspect of the operation led by someone else (and back in Washington DC).

Archived