New York

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damien said:

Good points. Finance and the commercial side is key and is the lifeblood of any club. 

At the end of the day we don't need to know the names of backers and the ins and outs of the the proposal. The RFL are the only ones that need to know that at this stage as part of the whole due diligence. The RFL did a good job with Toronto and I would expect them to follow the same strategy with New York, with the added benefit of lessons learned from Toronto. The wider public really don't need to know anymore until New York's admittance is proposed by the RFL to its member clubs.

My concern is whether the RFL really did a good job with Toronto or if Perez did and they were reluctantly dragged along.  RFL led new expansion projects have been a disaster. Oxford, Northampton, Gateshead....

38 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Love it!  I look forward to cheer against the New York team!  I hope they become successful enough for me to cheer against (I hate ny sports teams, but would hate even more to not be able to boo them!)

15 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

My concern is whether the RFL really did a good job with Toronto or if Perez did and they were reluctantly dragged along.  RFL led new expansion projects have been a disaster. Oxford, Northampton, Gateshead....

I think they are a completely different kettle of fish and rightly so, the first two in particular seemed to be to push a strategy as much as anything. The RFL seem much more stringent with regards to overseas teams, when it comes to assurances and finance, and this is how it should be.

58 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Anyone know why the TRL site tells me I have one free article left to read but still won't let me read this? It offers the option to log in but that is only for premium accounts - is this article premium only?

And also to Angelic Cynic - is it the bloke in the Saudi article?

12 hours ago, mrfranco said:

Anyone know why the TRL site tells me I have one free article left to read but still won't let me read this? It offers the option to log in but that is only for premium accounts - is this article premium only?

And also to Angelic Cynic - is it the bloke in the Saudi article?

Yes.Operations Director at RFL 98-2000.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/culture-company-boss-jason-harborow-3496143

He's had a few positions - https://sa.linkedin.com/in/jasonharborow

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 07/07/2020 at 08:00, Angelic Cynic said:

The man who was Operations Director at the disastrous 2000 RLWC which near bankrupted the RFL. An interesting appointment. 

Is anyone from, you know, New York involved? 

As usual, zero local press coverage about the project. Is it just another investment ponzi scheme? According to the podcast episode, he already convinced some initial investors that more shares should be made available for sale. He doesn't have a rich backer and is looking for some.

18 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Half way through the NYC podcast and still not convinced. Time will tell of course.

Glad it’s just not me.

20 hours ago, thirteenthman said:

The man who was Operations Director at the disastrous 2000 RLWC which near bankrupted the RFL. An interesting appointment. 

IIRC, some of his subsequent appointments have also been "interesting". I think he left Liverpool City Council under something of a cloud when he was running the City of Culture thing in 2008. He had a big part in the Manchester Commonwealth Games organisation in 2002. He's had senior roles in some fairly big organisations in the Emirates since then by the looks of it.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

IIRC, some of his subsequent appointments have also been "interesting". I think he left Liverpool City Council under something of a cloud when he was running the City of Culture thing in 2008. He had a big part in the Manchester Commonwealth Games organisation in 2002. He's had senior roles in some fairly big organisations in the Emirates since then by the looks of it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/culture-company-boss-jason-harborow-3496143

The 'controversial chief executive' of the Liverpool Culture Company, as the Liverpool Echo described him. 

The whole NYC project is an odd one. It's as if there's something else going on, with the possibility of running a RL team just part of it. 

19 hours ago, ojx said:

Is anyone from, you know, New York involved? 

As usual, zero local press coverage about the project. Is it just another investment ponzi scheme? According to the podcast episode, he already convinced some initial investors that more shares should be made available for sale. He doesn't have a rich backer and is looking for some.

What do you expect, a headline in the NY Times? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What do you expect, a headline in the NY Times? 

Not a headline, but I think a small side segment, or something, or anything in fact. Also not necessarily the NY times how about one of the small local news outlets, even in NJ where they are supposedly going to be based.

There was no local news, even when they launched. This contrasts very starkly with Toronto and Ottawa.

9 minutes ago, ojx said:

Not a headline, but I think a small side segment, or something, or anything in fact. Also not necessarily the NY times how about one of the small local news outlets, even in NJ where they are supposedly going to be based.

There was no local news, even when they launched. This contrasts very starkly with Toronto and Ottawa.

As I said at the time, one of my friends lives in Ottawa and is very into sport but not, because of his background, rugby league. I made sure to never tell him about the plans for Ottawa RL so I knew they’d reached new audiences when, some time last year, he told me all about them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, ojx said:

Do you live in New York, out of interest?

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you live in New York, out of interest?

No I don't, I'm in Toronto, but please send me the link to any stories from NY news outlets (big or small).

1 hour ago, ojx said:

No I don't, I'm in Toronto, but please send me the link to any stories from NY news outlets (big or small).

You got me curious... the recent articles in the NY media about fake fan noise during the COVID era refer to the NRL.

I only found this one article about a possible New York team from early last year. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/sports/rugby-league-new-york.html

So it seems the goings on in the NRL is getting more media time in New York than a possible new team.

5 hours ago, Copa said:

You got me curious... the recent articles in the NY media about fake fan noise during the COVID era refer to the NRL.

I only found this one article about a possible New York team from early last year. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/sports/rugby-league-new-york.html

So it seems the goings on in the NRL is getting more media time in New York than a possible new team.

Probably because the NRL is real, whereas New York Rugby League is still a name to sell merchandise. North American media outlets are constantly bombarded by the next great thing, trouble is most of them never get off the ground, so they are hardly likely to show any interest until there’s something tangible like a coach and first signings.

Just seen on Linkedin NYCRL have signed a deal with an agency called Global 13, to build their brand, share insights and build a sports strategy. 

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6685086205136162816/

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Just seen on Linkedin NYCRL have signed a deal with an agency called Global 13, to build their brand, share insights and build a sports strategy. 

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6685086205136162816/

That's Global 13 of which Jason Harborow is the Managing Director. It's mentioned in the TRL article earlier in the thread about Harborow joining the NYC project.

13 hours ago, ojx said:

I wasn’t saying there are any, I’ve never been to New York and don’t know anything about their news outlets, I was just asking how you did. 

Archived