New York

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Don’t know he didn’t name names, why would he?

There is some concern out there.

BLM seem to have won the hearts and minds in the UK without their financial backers being revealed.

In the world of sport,where an individual from the UK,via France,goes to the USA and manages to find financial backing is quite wonderful, but may also ring alarm bells due to the current situation.

Sportswashing - https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2020/02/saudi-arabia-launch-of-womens-football-league-should-not-distract-from-abysmal-human-rights-situation/

Money Laundering - https://www.inbrief.co.uk/sports-law/money-laundering-in-sport-financial-task-force/

Russian Mafia - http://iecn.com/russian-organized-crime-operates-just-about-everywhere/#:~:text=The Russian Mafia has a,The Odessa or Bratva Mafia.

I don't think the governing body for our sport - or government agencies - have the resources or the powers to investigate fully overseas funding.Even the money rich sport of soccer seems to struggle;or lack the principle.

As a misanthropist who enjoys rugby league I really don't care - I just like to watch good players in action...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve been busy, what does he say?

Jesus H guy, his time is valuable too. If you don't care enough to listen move on, don't demand someone spell it out for you. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Given the ' shenanigans ' we've just seen with Wigan Athletic , it's not an unreasonable request IMO

I think there is a world of difference between people buying an existing club and people setting up a club from scratch that otherwise would not exist.

13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

According to that interview the two main financiers are someone involved in MLR and somebody from Australia.

Both unnamed.

Some people don’t like their financial interests to be splashed about. For example some people make a big show when they give money to charity while others quietly go about it privately, and likewise these people probably don’t want their financial dealings read out in a podcast. I certainly wouldn’t if I was them. 

Anyway, specifics around who is financing it aside it all sounds really positive to me. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some people don’t like their financial interests to be splashed about. For example some people make a big show when they give money to charity while others quietly go about it privately, and likewise these people probably don’t want their financial dealings read out in a podcast. I certainly wouldn’t if I was them. 

Anyway, specifics around who is financing it aside it all sounds really positive to me. 

These are things are important to know Eddie when people are talking up a new project.  I will bet you that anyone putting serious money into this will want to know.

Even the interviewer said himself that many people are asking about the finances behind this idea.

I’m prepared to get excited about New York RL once it seems credible and so far I’m more in the ‘hope’ camp than the ‘believe’ camp.

10 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

So far, and for the last few years now, they're a made up brand to sell merchandise, and until they appoint a coach, sign players and play games, they're just that.

Spot on. If he has real backers with real money then let them come forward. It lends the whole operation some necessary credibility, which is sorely lacking currently.

44 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Bring it on! Let’s hope they become an actual thing and give us a new transatlantic flavour of the month to be excited by!

Always positive on expansion...always looking for the best in things.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

These are things are important to know Eddie when people are talking up a new project.  I will bet you that anyone putting serious money into this will want to know.

Even the interviewer said himself that many people are asking about the finances behind this idea.

I’m prepared to get excited about New York RL once it seems credible and so far I’m more in the ‘hope’ camp than the ‘believe’ camp.

Anyone putting  serious money in will want to know who is putting serious money in? I imagine they do!

As I have explained though they aren’t obliged to tell the general public. 

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

So far, and for the last few years now, they're a made up brand to sell merchandise, and until they appoint a coach, sign players and play games, they're just that.

They have got a coach lined up (please don’t ask why they aren’t able to announce who) and they can’t play games this season so obviously won’t be signing any players. Next season though they have the challenge cup and a series of friendly matches, then the year after league one. 

I don’t believe that finding financial backers will be a major problem for launching a rugby league team in New York. There are other more important factors. Let’s  assume that the money is there. I still cannot imagine that the game will take off in New York if the only North American rivals are Canadian.

New York needs at least one and preferably two USA teams to play against if  the team is to attract fans and players. Boston and Philadelphia are the obvious preferred candidates. But a Chicago team would also.make very big waves in New York. Eventually Toronto, Ottawa, New York, and at least one of Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago would be a good development formula from the point of view of attracting large numbers of fans and paid television coverage in North America . Having all six teams competing would be a guaranteed winning formula for attracting large numbers of fans and paid television coverage . But if that were to happen,  recruiting large numbers of North American players would become an absolute necessity for promotion of more than one North American team to Super League within five years — the obvious end goal of all this expansion — given the lack of availability of sufficient number of trained high quality professional players for the NRL to consider expanding beyond one additional professional team within the next two years even in the socially and economically favorable environment of Australia.

However for those who doubt that new adult players can learn the game from scratch and become very successful professionals without having gone through a teenage amateur apprenticeship, my response is two words: Brian Carney.

I’m sorry but I’m with Gerrumonside ref on this, it is important to know who are the backers, and more importantly, what their tolerance level is once this franchise makes heavy losses, which it will for many years. Sadly the whole history of North American sport is littered with stories of unsavoury owners thinking they can make a quick buck, or using the team as a tax write off, but once they either see no profit, or their accountant has found another tax saving scheme which he or she likes more, then the plug is pulled. This has happened in far bigger sports than RL and don’t get me started on team relocations, as a Seattle Seahawks fan I remember how the team was 24 hours away from moving to Anaheim, and had it not been for the Allen family, almost certain obscurity. Let’s hope the RFL does it’s due diligence well.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

I don’t believe that finding financial backers will be a major problem for launching a rugby league team in New York. There are other more important factors. Let’s  assume that the money is there. I still cannot imagine that the game will take off in New York if the only North American rivals are Canadian.

New York needs at least one and preferably two USA teams to play against if  the team is to attract fans and players. Boston and Philadelphia are the obvious preferred candidates. But a Chicago team would also.make very big waves in New York. Eventually Toronto, Ottawa, New York, and at least one of Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago would be a good development formula from the point of view of attracting large numbers of fans and paid television coverage in North America . Having all six teams competing would be a guaranteed winning formula for attracting large numbers of fans and paid television coverage . But if that were to happen,  recruiting large numbers of North American players would become an absolute necessity for promotion of more than one North American team to Super League within five years — the obvious end goal of all this expansion — given the lack of availability of sufficient number of trained high quality professional players for the NRL to consider expanding beyond one additional professional team within the next two years even in the socially and economically favorable environment of Australia.

However for those who doubt that new adult players can learn the game from scratch and become very successful professionals without having gone through a teenage amateur apprenticeship, my response is two words: Brian Carney.

Carney had played Gaelic Football and Union from being a kid , the skills learnt doing that easily transmit to playing wing at RL 

If you want a better example , try Des Drummond 

US sports are completely different and DO NOT provide the necessary skills 

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I just don't see how well they will do if they are based out of New Jersey.

Archived