World Cup of Beer - Qualifying Round (Asia)

Who makes the best beer?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the best beer?

• Australia
    • China
    • India
    • Japan
    • New Zealand
    • Thailand
    • Philippines

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/20 at 10:55

OK, here goes. Over the next few weeks we, the TRL elite, will decide which country makes the best beer.

This can be interpreted any way you wish - by best overall, by quantity of fine ales, lagers etc., by which produces the single best beer. Your choice. Choose more than 1 if you like.

We'll start with qualifying. 26 countries, in 4 pools, best 8 in the voting by 12 o'clock midday on Sunday 12th July 2020 will make the knockout phase. There will be 5 European Qualifiers, 2 from Asia/Australasia and 1 from The Americas.

First poll is for Asia/Australasia

Off you go. And remember, vote responsibly.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is there a poll?  Can’t see it.

There is now, finger trouble!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Interesting concept although it would help I think if there were a few examples from some of the countries just for reference.

I expect Australia will be red hot favourite here, but maybe there could be an upset.

Beer like whisky/whiskey/bourbon has undergone a bit of a revolution and the battle ahead will be between the new micro brewery world and the CAMRA lot I feel!

Just now, Jeff Stein said:

The best beer I have drunk in Asia has been in the Philippines. They have some excellent microbreweries. Palawan from Puerto Princesa is my favourite

I'll add them - I did wonder about them as they produce a lot.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

The best beer I have drunk in Asia has been in the Philippines. They have some excellent microbreweries. Palawan from Puerto Princesa is my favourite

Late entry. Fill your boots. Or glass.

I’m not sure how you could be exposed to the range of beer available here in Australia. We have quite a few good breweries in little old Canberra that don’t even sell around Australia let alone overseas.

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m not sure how you could be exposed to the range of beer available here in Australia. We have quite a few good breweries in little old Canberra that don’t even sell around Australia let alone overseas.

Not like an Australian to get their excuses in early.

I have been there....

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

Not like an Australian to get their excuses in early.

I have been there....

I prefer cider.

While we do make a few good ciders our beer range is significantly better.

If Sri Lanka qualified in this round then they'd stroll it. Lion Stout is a magical brew, and their lager's not bad either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

European pools are live.

On 05/07/2020 at 14:29, Futtocks said:

If Sri Lanka qualified in this round then they'd stroll it. Lion Stout is a magical brew, and their lager's not bad either.

Oh lion stout would get my vote

5 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Oh lion stout would get my vote

God alone knows how you could drink it in the Sri Lankan climate and stay conscious, though. It has at least as much of a kick as Nigerian Guinness.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

bump

On Monday, July 06, 2020 at 22:49, Futtocks said:
7 hours ago, MattSantos said:

A cold Singha is a thing of beauty. It really is.

I spend five months in Malaysia and Thailand ( at least when there is no lockdown there!) and while I think Singha is OK, Tiger is better in my opinion. Export Guinness is the best in Malaysia but it has been reduced in strength lately.

It's down to the wire! One day to go and it's three tied for top place with only 2 to qualify!

On Wednesday, July 08, 2020 at 13:56, MattSantos said:

Tiger. Pah. Singaporean and wasnt on the list anyway 😘

Tiger is brewed in Malaysia and Thailand even though it originated in Singapore.

Archived