Yesterday’s Pub Scene...

Did you venture out? How did you find it?

-

I went for a pint at my local, which is 30 metres down the road, was nice to have something of normality back in my life with regard to that. HPA on draught was certainly a welcome return.

Wandered up into ‘town’ at about 4ish - went to a free house pub, which was a bit too busy. Settled for one there before heading home for the evening. 

On the 40-minute walk back home saw 3 different police cars zoom up into town I assume for the drunk and disorderly.

From the living room sofa from about 8 onwards I unfortunately whitenessed the worse of it. A group walked past the house to get in a car for a lift, a young lass decided to drop her pint glass on the floor as she ran for the car.

Upon locking the house up at about 10:30 I decided to sweep up the shattered glass from the pavement in case anybody fell on it or somebody did something stupid with a shard.

One lad walked by and called me a c**t repeatedly and demanded I sweep faster. One older lass called me a stupid ###### for dropping my drink everywhere!

-

I suppose it’s what you get when so many have been locked away for so long and it’s their big opportunity to return to the pubs, otherwise it felt well organised and somewhat safe in each of the locals I visited. 95% of the people were also in good spirits and very respectful.

Went past 4 pubs in the afternoon while out on a walk - moderately busy and quiet, just people enjoying a drink and chatting. No idea what it was like at night.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

In the Wigan area we have 3 new pubs to visit post lockdown,  all three are real/craft ale pubs that are spread around at Orrell, Ashton and WIgan Town Centre. Unfortunately 2 have said they are not re-opening at all.

I was at St.Judes rugby club yesterday, just before they opened, to do a little job for them. I declined the offer of a pint of Boddingtons as I want my first pint in licensed premises following lockdown to be a really good pint of real ale. This probably won't happen until tomorrow after work.

Got reports last night of trouble at a couple of pubs around town, Harry's bar town centre (which opened daft early) and Prince of Wales  (Jawbone) at Newtown about a mile a mile out of town , quite a few have skipped the weekend and will be opening through the week.

Just exchanged messages with the landlady of The John Bull Chophouse (you can't get more central Wigan), she said that she was only letting regulars in so keeping it quite, she had a wander around town last night and she said it was fairly quite.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The boy reports not one scrap of trouble.

As reported, those seeking carling/smiths are advised to drink elsewhere.

He targets middle aged couples who have duly arrived, behaved sensibly, bought into the safety measure and generally had a nice time.

Police arrived....twice.... saw a load of middle aged folk listening to fleetwood mac..... they were happy and suggested they could have shared such an experience....

He closed early (9.00pm) both days to avoid the late barm pots..... despite this, his numbers were good.

I've done my share of daftness in my youth. I like pubs like this now but I'll wait a while yet till everything settles down and where I'm comfortable with the risk

A mate's local closed early on Saturday night and put up a stern notice saying that if behaviour didn't improve they would have to close again.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, tim2 said:

A mate's local closed early on Saturday night and put up a stern notice saying that if behaviour didn't improve they would have to close again.

how did anyone read it it they had closed?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Presumably it was nailed to the door.

First pub venture. Called for a couple of post work pints today, place was on its first day of opening (Wigan Central), place was busy, nearly all tables occupied, pleasant atmosphere. They have done the rules with a sense of humour. 

After being seated you hardly noticed the difference, the pub has always done a certain amount of bar service, which we tend to use, so it was not a big change.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I went into Bradford on Sunday afternoon. Most of my regular hants stayed shut. Strict application of the rules in the two I went in. In one of them, the police had check-visited four times on the Saturday. My mate ducked out so sitting in isolation was not the greatest experience.

Going to pubs in the city centre has become a civic duty to keep them going. We need a fortnight of red hot sunshine so the rules will fall into disuse.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Going to pubs in the city centre has become a civic duty to keep them going. We need a fortnight of red hot sunshine so the rules will fall into disuse.

Is the fighting cock still going and is it still as good? It was one of my fav uk pubs that at one time. I just don't get over there nowadays 

The Fighting Cock has gone up for sale. A pity because the same people have had it for years.

Presumably a victim of the lockdown, combined with Bradford City's games being cancelled. Not actually a favourite of mine but a few of my mates go in regularly and it's a Bradford institution.

19 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

19 hours ago, tim2 said:

Presumably it was nailed to the door.

Good idea.  Martin Luther tried it and we still have the repercussions of that!

Actually going out for our evening meal tomorrow, it's one of those new fangled restaurant things, apparently they cook food for you and bring it to you.

Will it catch on?

34 minutes ago, Padge said:

Actually going out for our evening meal tomorrow, it's one of those new fangled restaurant things, apparently they cook food for you and bring it to you.

Will it catch on?

Wait a week and Rishi will give you £10 off!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

22 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Wait a week and Rishi will give you £10 off!

Not on a Thursday the b@zturd.

2nd weekend in a row with having to sign in and sit at social distance. The landlady at one pub told me that the quiet music was louder than the limit and that sporting broadcasts must have the sound turned off on the telly.

Load of cack. Like spending Saturday night courtesy of the Gestapo.

I've now been into pubs in Wakefield and Leeds (as well as working in a restaurant) and can basically say this: its all at your own risk.

Places have varied interpretations of the guidelines and varied practices in place. Some places are uber strict where as others are more laissez faire. They've basically been given massive binders of guidelines that say what they should "try" to do and most places this is separate entrances and exits, spaced out tables etc. 

I've personally felt safe in all the places I've been, people have been relatively sensible and kept their distance. Later on a Friday and Saturday have been a bit of trouble but through the day and early evenings have been fine.

On 08/07/2020 at 19:36, Padge said:

Will it catch on?

How did it go, Padge?

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

How did it go, Padge?

Very well, they didn't seem to be sticking totally to the rules though, tables were already laid when we arrived. The restaurant was fairly busy when we left, and was lively with plenty chatter which was a completely strange experience, although we had been to a pub on Monday that was a lot quieter.

Not too scary.

Archived