RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a more serious note, is anyone surprised? Like really? 

In Super League I think this has been a commonly held view for quite some time.

In the Championship basically everyone but a loud few have tacitly accepted this as reality from day 1. Even those against it also know they have been rowing against a very strong tide.

This will be a very bitter pill to some, honey in the ear to others, but it certainly should not be surprising.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The question is , just this year ? , Or yet again ?

It definitely will be interesting as the focus of the 2021 season hinges on the TV deal associated with Super League for 2022 onwards. Could we see licensing? Expanding the league to 14? Or both?

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It definitely will be interesting as the focus of the 2021 season hinges on the TV deal associated with Super League for 2022 onwards. Could we see licensing? Expanding the league to 14? Or both?

' interesting ' ? , It's ' interesting ' that you think it so , for me it will be ' terminal ' 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

' interesting ' ? , It's ' interesting ' that you think it so , for me it will be ' terminal ' 

I find news and developments interesting.

Like I say it could mean an expansion of SL to 14 teams which may mean 2 teams promoted from the championship. Its "interesting" you look at it so negatively.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I find news and developments interesting.

Like I say it could mean an expansion of SL to 14 teams which may mean 2 teams promoted from the championship. Its "interesting" you look at it so negatively.

I don't care how many teams are in , it's if any are locked out

I think reading between the lines Featherstone and Leigh will not be happy with this development one little bit.

And my feeling is that they will if this is confirmed to be the case,issue legal proceedings against the RFL.

And I think things will get very messy 

55 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't care how many teams are in , it's if any are locked out

I told you and Harry that at the start of the season that there was no way Toronto would be relegated (impossible) and both of you guys both gave me the laughing emoji...you and Harry just need to start to listen!

58 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I think reading between the lines Featherstone and Leigh will not be happy with this development one little bit.

And my feeling is that they will if this is confirmed to be the case,issue legal proceedings against the RFL.

A condition of membership of the RFL, is that a member club cannot sue the RFL.

If a member club sues the RFL, they forfeit their membership of the RFL.

A condition of membership (it's a "member's club"), is that you accept the rules and decisions of the member's club.

Don't like the rules? Leave the member's club.

Get it?

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Imagine pandering to to towns of 40k people or less...

new rise.jpg

If this results in licensing then please let’s have fair, measurable standards and stick to them, not have some arbitrary yardstick designed purely to benefit the existing incumbents and keeping everyone else out.

I don’t think that the RFL and Super League are confident that the Championship and League 1 will continue otherwise there wouldn’t be any talk if there being no P&R this year. If a decision on continuing is delayed again by Championship clubs I think that the RFL will make a decision for them and say forget it it isn’t happening.

No P & R in 2020.

2021 will see negotiation of new TV deal conducted by Super League only. Thereafter no obligation to retain P & R.

This is why Leigh/Fev etc were so keen to retain P&R this year - it will probably be the last chance and now that has gone too.

The only issue that matters in all this is if Catalans and Toronto retain their places in Super League, and definitely Toulouse, and perhaps London, get promoted.

Over the next year I suspect that Salford could collapse financially under the effects of the Covid pandemic, and Wakefield may also follow.

Over the medium haul (3-4 years) we need to be able to promote Ottawa and perhaps New York to Super League.

14 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

The only issue that matters in all this is if Catalans and Toronto retain their places in Super League, and definitely Toulouse, and perhaps London, get promoted.

Over the next year I suspect that Salford could collapse financially under the effects of the Covid pandemic, and Wakefield may also follow.

Over the medium haul (3-4 years) we need to be able to promote Ottawa and perhaps New York to Super League.

Your record is stuck 

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The question is , just this year ? , Or yet again ?

The article refers to this year with the parachute payment (£500,000) being given to the RFL to fund an autumn competition. So, whilst the rest of the debate is fun, right now we are literally only talking about what happens until this season ends.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The article refers to this year with the parachute payment (£500,000) being given to the RFL to fund an autumn competition. So, whilst the rest of the debate is fun, right now we are literally only talking about what happens until this season ends.

So , £ 20 K apiece to play out something ? , Unlikely 

Just restart on Boxing day with season 21

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So , £ 20 K apiece to play out something ? , Unlikely 

Just restart on Boxing day with season 21

That's the offer. It doesn't seem much to me either but it's over and above normal funding. If those five (?) teams who wanted to play on still want to play on then it becomes £100,000 each ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Not quite. Assuming this is the outcome (it is still speculative at present but obviously been leaked) the parachute payment would go to the RFL who will decide how it is to be used - it is not conditional on funding any competition.

There may be at least two club chairmen who might be demanding  a lion's share of this money as compensation for lost "investment" but, again, this is just my speculation.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I don't see this as being linked to any future P&R either. Notice that the SL clubs only agreed by a slim majority to retain the SL executive structure, which to me seems to challenge Elston to get a good TV deal or walk. There are a host of twists and turns to come in the next couple of years.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived