RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't see this as being linked to any future P&R either. Notice that the SL clubs only agreed by a slim majority to retain the SL executive structure, which to me seems to challenge Elston to get a good TV deal or walk. There are a host of twists and turns to come in the next couple of years.

I agree with that assessment 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I find news and developments interesting.

Like I say it could mean an expansion of SL to 14 teams which may mean 2 teams promoted from the championship. Its "interesting" you look at it so negatively.

Been there before Tommy,  not going there again, but the negativity aspect is borne out of what we have been hearing for the last couple of seasons, from Leneghans comments re funding, to a reduced TV deal, to teams from overseas are more important than established clubs etc etc, from this perspective there is not much in the line of positivity to get exited about.

So that is me done for this season at least even if the gates are opened to the paying public, I totally and emphatically refuse to go and watch (again) a seasons worth of friendlies. 

Leigh RLFC has also been a love affair for most of my life but it is one I am prepared to ditch, not that the club as done anything wrong it is outside influences that will have brought me to my decision if the club is to be eternally decried the opportunity to play at the top level, I know some disagree but having the ambition and opportunity to better oneself is the spice of life for me, I served an apprenticeship and could have spent a lifetime in overalls but I wanted better and through hardwork ended up with near 50 employees, some people just can't understand that mentality and think settling for second best is a good alternative it ain't for me.

Never the less I can take solace I have been in and around the community game for more decades than I care to remember that will provide me with the Rugby League 'fix' that I need.

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I told you and Harry that at the start of the season that there was no way Toronto would be relegated (impossible) and both of you guys both gave me the laughing emoji...you and Harry just need to start to listen!

Interesting that you take pleasure in this decision, just sit back and wallow in that having the knowledge (perhaps I am giving you more esteem than you deserve) that you are not good enough, you can celebrate a false victory.

0 and 6 at the ending of hostilities says we were correct to laugh at your suggestion of not being relegated, your team wasn't  very good at all was it?

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The article refers to this year with the parachute payment (£500,000) being given to the RFL to fund an autumn competition. So, whilst the rest of the debate is fun, right now we are literally only talking about what happens until this season ends.

Spot on.

I understand the concerns about the future structure but people really need to detach the two - this is the biggest disruption to organised sport since the wartime leagues of the 1940s, and it's been clear from day 1 that normal service couldn't be resumed. 

Time to move on, and if that includes the lion's share of the extra funds going to Beaumont and Hughes, that's fine too. I argued for this early on as the RFL has everyone's business plan and know what's been comitted. 

Let's just enjoy seeing English rugby league back on the field this autumn, and then let's make 2021 the best season ever, capped off with a world cup. I'm hopeful! 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Been there before Tommy,  not going there again, but the negativity aspect is borne out of what we have been hearing for the last couple of seasons, from Leneghans comments re funding, to a reduced TV deal, to teams from overseas are more important than established clubs etc etc, from this perspective there is not much in the line of positivity to get exited about.

So that is me done for this season at least even if the gates are opened to the paying public, I totally and emphatically refuse to go and watch (again) a seasons worth of friendlies. 

Leigh RLFC has also been a love affair for most of my life but it is one I am prepared to ditch, not that the club as done anything wrong it is outside influences that will have brought me to my decision if the club is to be eternally decried the opportunity to play at the top level, I know some disagree but having the ambition and opportunity to better oneself is the spice of life for me, I served an apprenticeship and could have spent a lifetime in overalls but I wanted better and through hardwork ended up with near 50 employees, some people just can't understand that mentality and think settling for second best is a good alternative it ain't for me.

Never the less I can take solace I have been in and around the community game for more decades than I care to remember that will provide me with the Rugby League 'fix' that I need.

You really can't tell me this result is surprising after what will be 4 and a half months of the super league being suspended? 

I get you not wanting to watch friendlies but as I've said on the other thread weeks ago, friendlies might be all it is this year. I get the frustration but it is unprecedented times and with only a handful of the Championship clubs at best able to operate behind closed doors it was never likely to happen. If it makes you any happier it won't even be a seasons worth of fixtures.

This isn't about stopping people having the chance to better oneself, its about accepting the reality of the impact of the pandemic we're currently in. For some its a silver lining and for others its a cloud, that is the way of the world.

Its a pause in the system, we go again properly next year. 

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

If this results in licensing then please let’s have fair, measurable standards and stick to them, not have some arbitrary yardstick designed purely to benefit the existing incumbents and keeping everyone else out.

I expect they could do as they please Oldbear, I think that apathy in the Championship will win through and it will fall away into obscurity.

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

If this results in licensing then please let’s have fair, measurable standards and stick to them, not have some arbitrary yardstick designed purely to benefit the existing incumbents and keeping everyone else out.

I think that may be pushing it a bit further, we'll have to see what the consensus is on post 2021 really to make a call on that.

I agree though licensing if it returns has to be better than last time.

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The only issue that matters in all this is if Catalans and Toronto retain their places in Super League, and definitely Toulouse, and perhaps London, get promoted.

Over the next year I suspect that Salford could collapse financially under the effects of the Covid pandemic, and Wakefield may also follow.

Over the medium haul (3-4 years) we need to be able to promote Ottawa and perhaps New York to Super League.

Stuff the rest then.

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The only issue that matters in all this is if Catalans and Toronto retain their places in Super League, and definitely Toulouse, and perhaps London, get promoted.

Over the next year I suspect that Salford could collapse financially under the effects of the Covid pandemic, and Wakefield may also follow.

Over the medium haul (3-4 years) we need to be able to promote Ottawa and perhaps New York to Super League.

You were in the wrong pop group Manfred, Supertramp would have suited you far better 'Dreamer'

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Stuff the rest then.

To be fair that has been the attitude espoused by some fans of some Championship clubs when told by other Championship fans/clubs that they couldn't afford to restart asap.

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I told you and Harry that at the start of the season that there was no way Toronto would be relegated (impossible) and both of you guys both gave me the laughing emoji...you and Harry just need to start to listen!

Tasteless.

35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You really can't tell me this result is surprising after what will be 4 and a half months of the super league being suspended? 

I get you not wanting to watch friendlies but as I've said on the other thread weeks ago, friendlies might be all it is this year. I get the frustration but it is unprecedented times and with only a handful of the Championship clubs at best able to operate behind closed doors it was never likely to happen. If it makes you any happier it won't even be a seasons worth of fixtures.

This isn't about stopping people having the chance to better oneself, its about accepting the reality of the impact of the pandemic we're currently in. For some its a silver lining and for others its a cloud, that is the way of the world.

Its a pause in the system, we go again properly next year. 

Tommy read back what I said, I am assuming the worst that P&R is going to be a thing of the past I said "If the club is to be eternally decried the opportunity to play at the top level".

I did say I will not be attending this season, but lets be fair and totally honest SL is going to have a fixture list in that every team plays each other twice, why could that alone not sort out who is the candidate for relegation, who is being protected in this SL vote to stop relegation is it a unanimous or majority verdict? If the same fixture list can sort out the play off places surely beyond question it can relgate a team?

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To be fair that has been the attitude espoused by some fans of some Championship clubs when told by other Championship fans/clubs that they couldn't afford to restart asap.

But as I was canvassing for it could have been a vote were by each club could have evalued its own situation and took part in a race for promotion, or sat it out or if speccies are allowed back in sort out friendly fixtures, you know like they are going to do now! 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Tommy read back what I said, I am assuming the worst that P&R is going to be a thing of the past I said "If the club is to be eternally decried the opportunity to play at the top level".

I did say I will not be attending this season, but lets be fair and totally honest SL is going to have a fixture list in that every team plays each other twice, why could that alone not sort out who is the candidate for relegation, who is being protected in this SL vote to stop relegation is it a unanimous or majority verdict? If the same fixture list can sort out the play of places surely beyond question it can relgate a team?

Well thats taking it beyond this season which I think may be a bit of an overreaction, but may have some merit. Its a presumption based on circumstantial evidence but not based in this.

On this seasons Super League the concerns are clear that any relegated club would face financial annihilation - particularly a heartland team. There's also Toronto, where its looking like they might not be able to play even a single home fixture at all which is only a little bit embarrassing for Super League if they were relegated. There's also the compressed fixture list which for clubs with smaller squads could be unfairly fatal if injuries pile up.

They're well aware that this seasons champions is going to have an asterisk next to the name.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You have seen the diatribes launched at Toronto almost incessantly for 4 years haven't you? Who can blame them for a little schadenfreude?

Not exactly a sitter on the fence observing proceedings are you Tommy, I think we know if a strong win blows you off which way you will fall.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But as I was canvassing for it could have been a vote were by each club could have evalued its own situation and took part in a race for promotion, or sat it out or if speccies are allowed back in sort out friendly fixtures, you know like they are going to do now! 

What so, Leigh, Toulouse (who will be allowed some home fans anyway) and maybe London? Even Fev have been clear their return to play is based on fans in attendance as have the other 10 clubs.

Nobody is taking a 3 team league seriously.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Not exactly a sitter on the fence observing proceedings are you Tommy, I think we know if a strong win blows you off which way you will fall.

Harry I've defended P/R extensively on here and elsewhere. I've also seen the rubbish continuously thrown at Toronto and their fans.

I don't need to be a sit on the fence observer, schadenfreude is schadenfreude, and for the Toronto fans I bet it tastes very sweet.

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You have seen the diatribes launched at Toronto almost incessantly for 4 years haven't you? Who can blame them for a little schadenfreude?

No. If you wouldn't defend classless comments from Leigh fans (for example) you shouldn't be doing so from Kayakman.

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

A bit harsh of Toronto to unleash a global pandemic just to stave off the possibility of relegation, but that's the ruthlessness of the modern game I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No. If you wouldn't defend classless comments from Leigh fans (for example) you shouldn't be doing so from Kayakman.

Nah mutual respect is earned Dave and whilst I'm not defending his comments its perfectly understandable why he and other Toronto fans would feel that way. Perhaps its in the new world they don't keep quiet about their feelings as we do in blighty.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Nah mutual respect is earned Dave and whilst I'm not defending his comments its perfectly understandable why he and other Toronto fans would feel that way. Perhaps its in the new world they don't keep quiet about their feelings as we do in blighty.

I suggest you pay closer attention to Kayakman's posting history then tbh. 

His posts have been the most classless on here for a long period of time.

Archived