RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well thats taking it beyond this season which I think may be a bit of an overreaction, but may have some merit. Its a presumption based on circumstantial evidence but not based in this.

On this seasons Super League the concerns are clear that any relegated club would face financial annihilation - particularly a heartland team. There's also Toronto, where its looking like they might not be able to play even a single home fixture at all which is only a little bit embarrassing for Super League if they were relegated. There's also the compressed fixture list which for clubs with smaller squads could be unfairly fatal if injuries pile up.

They're well aware that this seasons champions is going to have an asterisk next to the name.

If SL plays all its renaming games behind closed doors and utilises just 3 venues then most will not have played many games at home, and why up to now have Toronto not played any games at home they had nearly a two month window to do so, but wait a minute it was impossible to do so with the climatic conditions in Canada, pretty weak excuse that Tommy, and your loyalties really stand out when you mention small squads, jeez Tommy spit it out just say you don't want Toronto relegated.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suggest you pay closer attention to Kayakman's posting history then tbh. 

His posts have been the most classless on here for a long period of time.

I know what you mean Dave and I don't agree with him on everything.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did you expect anything else GB, he is just so happy that they don't have to confirm how bad they actually are. 

Toronto won't finish bottom!

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Oh I disagree Dave. British classlessness is world-beating, don't you know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I know what you mean Dave and I don't agree with him on everything.

Without taking it off topic, and not wanting to get into a debate on KM or other posters, but I don't have too much of an issue with some of the fans' complaints about TWP. I think it is a reasonable point to question the presence of overseas teams in the RFL/SL pyramid - a little 'traditional' for my liking, and not one I agree with, but I don't think Harry and Gubrats deserve the criticism they get - they articulate their points fairly and reasonably, and I often disagree with them without issue. 

I find many over-defensive about anything they disagree with, the jury is out on TWP, there are those of us who are happy to support them and give them time to see, and there are those that don't agree with the principle of them and never will. I think that's ok.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

If SL plays all its renaming games behind closed doors and utilises just 3 venues then most will not have played many games at home, and why up to now have Toronto not played any games at home they had nearly a two month window to do so, but wait a minute it was impossible to do so with the climatic conditions in Canada, pretty weak excuse that Tommy, and your loyalties really stand out when you mention small squads, jeez Tommy spit it out just say you don't want Toronto relegated.

That isn't the plan. The 3 venues is a temporary stopgap for 2 months till fans are expected to be allowed back in late September/October for what has been billed "the big games". 

The other stuff was just an accumulation of things I've read. The small squad was a point made by Salford actually. Another raised by other teams has been the nature of track and trace meaning some players with vulnerable or high risk of exposure family members meaning players may have to sit out games. 

You want Toronto relegated, we get it. Its not going to happen this year.

5 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Toronto won't finish bottom!

The season will certainly be interesting on its restart, and it'll be interesting to see if this extra time and the break will help TWP, I suspect it will - but the shortened season, and probably lack of games in Toronto will be a real hurdle for them, which is a shame. 

The lack of Relegation this year will be a very good thing for them though, and allow them to plan accordingly without the pressure this year. Next year will be the time to judge them more.

Just now, Dave T said:

Without taking it off topic, and not wanting to get into a debate on KM or other posters, but I don't have too much of an issue with some of the fans' complaints about TWP. I think it is a reasonable point to question the presence of overseas teams in the RFL/SL pyramid - a little 'traditional' for my liking, and not one I agree with, but I don't think Harry and Gubrats deserve the criticism they get - they articulate their points fairly and reasonably, and I often disagree with them without issue. 

I find many over-defensive about anything they disagree with, the jury is out on TWP, there are those of us who are happy to support them and give them time to see, and there are those that don't agree with the principle of them and never will. I think that's ok.

Thats fair enough. Supporting a side that often gets abuse essentially out of jealousy I empathise with the spite Toronto have recieved across Social Media etc. Hence why I see the current schadenfreude as just that.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Thats fair enough. Supporting a side that often gets abuse essentially out of jealousy I empathise with the spite Toronto have recieved across Social Media etc. Hence why I see the current schadenfreude as just that.

Hey, if KM's comment was on Twitter, I wouldn't bat an eyelid, that place is a no-no for sport tbh!

12 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I don't see why Leigh and Fev etc should receive extra compensation because of no promotion.They gambled big on getting promoted and lost.None of them were guaranteed promotion.It was their choice to make that gamble.

Not lost, denied the opportunity there is a massive difference!

I had a gamble on the horses some months back and my horses didn’t come in.

Will someone be kind enough to bail me out for what I lost,about £15?

I don’t see any offers.

And it is the same thing with certain clubs in the Championship if they spent a lot of money to try and gain promotion to Super League,they should not expect any bail out because they decided to speculate on winning promotion. And if as expected the RFL say there is no promotion or relegation this season because of the unique unprecedented circumstances then I for one back that call along with the scrapping of the Championship and Championship 1 season down to prohibitive costs to the majority of those clubs. And let me say it is very rare I agree with the RFL.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Haha get on Facebook mate it would look tame!

I never read comments, it's like the Daily Mail reader comments section. Only ever use those for news and then move on!

Just now, Dave T said:

I never read comments, it's like the Daily Mail reader comments section. Only ever use those for news and then move on!

Haha yeah thats true, although it does give you a bit of a sense to what attitudes are.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Interesting that you take pleasure in this decision, just sit back and wallow in that having the knowledge (perhaps I am giving you more esteem than you deserve) that you are not good enough, you can celebrate a false victory.

0 and 6 at the ending of hostilities says we were correct to laugh at your suggestion of not being relegated, your team wasn't  very good at all was it?

48 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You have seen the diatribes launched at Toronto almost incessantly for 4 years haven't you? Who can blame them for a little schadenfreude?

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No. If you wouldn't defend classless comments from Leigh fans (for example) you shouldn't be doing so from Kayakman.

The season isn't over yet Harry and of all people you should know never to count Toronto out.  I got a funny feeling they are going to take, or make a strong run for,  the Challenge Cup. 

Tommy, after following the multiple threads, knows the real tune but Dave is a still little off pitch.  

We are coming to get cha!  We are coming to get cha!

"Run With The Pack!"

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

essentially out of jealousy

Not at all, dislike yes because I think if as Manfred wishes for with his TWP, Ottawa, New York and any other city in North America he could blindfoldedly throw a dart into a map will be catastrophic for our sport in this country, jealous no.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But it doesn't matter does it, the other teams around them won't be bothered either if they win or lose, great competition.

Harry, if Leigh doesn't get promoted there is no need to count the season out for everyone.   There is still lots of rugby to be played with lots of surprises and excitement...don't be negative.

"Don't worry be happy."

17 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

How many clubs would you suggest would qualify for extra compensation?

I have not said one thing in response to the compensation suggestion, I don't want any compensation I would just hope for the monies that have been invested in trying to secure promotion could be taken to its conclusion, and may the best team win. 

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Harry, if Leigh doesn't get promoted there is no need to count the season out for everyone.   There is still lots of rugby to be played with lots of surprises and excitement...don't be negative.

"Don't worry be happy."

Hi K'man, as I said earlier if no P&R no Harry, not interested, I will get along to the Community games, at least in hard times I have got that to fall back on, get my drift?

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That is ridiculous and totally out of line.   You of all people should know better.  Your posting on Toronto from the start has been that of the fence sitter leaning anti Toronto but you have changed your tuner a bit over time....whatever the flavour of the month for the crowd...anything to curry the favor of the people.

No one can fault a Toronto fan having a bit of furn with a Leigh fan...its well deserved that you have to sleep in the bed you have made.  Its poetic justice at its finest.

Anyone who has followed the Toronto threads know that the vitriol and anti Toronto comments, from their inception to the present time, has been loud, clear and sickening.   That is the truth of it and anyone that has posted on here for a long time knows it so save the heartfelt condemnation for the anti Toronto crowd.

The season is not over AND Toronto is in it to win it.

"Run With The Pack!"

Archived