RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

That is ridiculous and totally out of line.   You of all people should know better.  Your posting on Toronto from the start has been that of the fence sitter leaning anti Toronto but you have changed your tuner a bit over time....whatever the flavour of the month for the crowd...anything to curry the favor of the people.

Nope.

I've been 100% consistent on my absolute support for TWP and all expansion efforts in RL.

But people aren't interest in our bickering, so happy to leave there. 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi K'man, as I said earlier if no P&R no Harry, not interested, I will get along to the Community games, at least in hard times I have got that to fall back on, get my drift?

Don't give up during this time of great change Harry...I know its hard to adjust to new things.   The world is in movement and RL needs you Harry.   The reality is that the game must change and adapt to this whole scenario....there is actually opportunity in it...just look  at the recent comment from the AFL regarding how the NRL beat them to it and has garnered a larger stake of new fans.

Just now, Dave T said:

Nope.

I've been 100% consistent on my absolute support for TWP and all expansion efforts in RL.

But people aren't interest in our bickering, so happy to leave there. 

No breeze today blowing either way I guess...if you don't want to bicker then don't insult people just because they have bested you in the past....its poorly done and you know it.

You should apologize.

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Don't give up during this time of great change Harry...I know its hard to adjust to new things.   The world is in movement and RL needs you Harry.   The reality is that the game must change and adapt to this whole scenario....there is actually opportunity in it...just look  at the recent comment from the AFL regarding how the NRL beat them to it and has garnered a larger stake of new fans.

I will be giving up on the system K'man, I just can't comperhend sport that doesn't reward winners but rewards losers.

IF (and at this point we don't know the detail) there is a parachute of £500K why not put that up for a 'meaningful competition'.

Any Championship club that wants to play for a 'Championship Shield' enters - the format to be contingent of the numbers who apply to take part.

• Winner gets £250K
  • Runner up gets £125K
  • Third place £75K
  • Fourth £50K

The figures could maybe get finessed a bit, but something like this...

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will be giving up on the system K'man, I just can't comperhend sport that doesn't reward winners but rewards losers.

Don't give up Harry...this season is a one off and its not the fault of anyone in rugby.  Keep the faith and stay strong.

never give up.jpg

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have not said one thing in response to the compensation suggestion, I don't want any compensation I would just hope for the monies that have been invested in trying to secure promotion could be taken to its conclusion, and may the best team win. 

That's fair enough Harry,you did not mention it.You answered my post so I assumed you were in favour.Apologies for that.

I sympathise with your frustration over this issue,but still think this is the best outcome taking everything into consideration.I would'nt be surprised if S.L. does'nt complete because of further outbreaks.

12 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think reading between the lines Featherstone and Leigh will not be happy with this development one little bit.

And my feeling is that they will if this is confirmed to be the case,issue legal proceedings against the RFL.

And I think things will get very messy 

And Toulouse and London will be happy? 

It's pretty obvious who has invested in the season over and above the Championship average spend. Toulouse, Leigh, Featherstone & London should receive compensation for that investment after a complete audit of accounts to establish the average spend and all those who have invested in the promotion race, above the average should get a payment. 

18 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It's pretty obvious who has invested in the season over and above the Championship average spend. Toulouse, Leigh, Featherstone & London should receive compensation for that investment after a complete audit of accounts to establish the average spend and all those who have invested in the promotion race, above the average should get a payment. 

There are so many things wrong with this concept that I will just say "No!".

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Personally if the league completes all games I don't see why P&R shouldn't stand.

The difficulties are the same for all, all-be-it some clubs could argue more difficult for them but then all clubs choose to be part of which ever league and hence accept whatever consequences.

Of course if seasons is curtailed then I can understand a no P&R but not if season is completed.

22 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Only one team can get promoted anyway and three of those teams were always going to miss out. Such a payment is in no way fair to other teams who will be forced to pay for it.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Only one team can get promoted anyway and three of those teams were always going to miss out. Such a payment is in no way fair to other teams who will be forced to pay for it.

The only fair thing to do would be to put on some kind of mini-condensed comp or "championship cup" and offer hefty prize money to the winners, runners-up and semi finalists. Do it over 8-weeks or something and at least it is done on the field.

No P& R will those teams involved in bottom of table  approach games - e.g. that impact those teams involved in chasing grand final.

Maybe should count this season performance together with next season to count towards P&R for the following season.

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

No P& R will those teams involved in bottom of table  approach games - e.g. that impact those teams involved in chasing grand final.

Maybe should count this season performance together with next season to count towards P&R for the following season.

I can see an argument for something like that for next year, some sort of bonus/handicap based on this year.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The only fair thing to do would be to put on some kind of mini-condensed comp or "championship cup" and offer hefty prize money to the winners, runners-up and semi finalists. Do it over 8-weeks or something and at least it is done on the field.

Personally I would do similar for SL given it ain't a normal season.

39 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

So because they've spent more this season they get the compensation? How on earth is that fair? Why not a team that has been building over the past 2 or 3 seasons to push for promotion? How far down the league before your not eligible for the payment, should it be to any club that still had a mathematical chance of promotion? Some clubs will have structured their fitness package to peak in the 2nd half of a season for a charge at promotion, but they will now not be eligible because they didnt spend enough? 

Everyone is focussing on Championship but what about the impact on League 1? That is potentially greater. Who knows what the landscape will look like after the new TV deal in 2022 and how many teams/divisions will exist. Newcastle were banking on promotion, particularly with Ottawa joining next year. This will hit them hard 

I can smell Troll droppings under this forum bridge.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Been there before Tommy,  not going there again, but the negativity aspect is borne out of what we have been hearing for the last couple of seasons, from Leneghans comments re funding, to a reduced TV deal, to teams from overseas are more important than established clubs etc etc, from this perspective there is not much in the line of positivity to get exited about.

So that is me done for this season at least even if the gates are opened to the paying public, I totally and emphatically refuse to go and watch (again) a seasons worth of friendlies. 

Leigh RLFC has also been a love affair for most of my life but it is one I am prepared to ditch, not that the club as done anything wrong it is outside influences that will have brought me to my decision if the club is to be eternally decried the opportunity to play at the top level, I know some disagree but having the ambition and opportunity to better oneself is the spice of life for me, I served an apprenticeship and could have spent a lifetime in overalls but I wanted better and through hardwork ended up with near 50 employees, some people just can't understand that mentality and think settling for second best is a good alternative it ain't for me.

Never the less I can take solace I have been in and around the community game for more decades than I care to remember that will provide me with the Rugby League 'fix' that I need.

Join the pack Harry!!! 🐺 

18 minutes ago, dkw said:

So because they've spent more this season they get the compensation? How on earth is that fair? Why not a team that has been building over the past 2 or 3 seasons to push for promotion? How far down the league before your not eligible for the payment, should it be to any club that still had a mathematical chance of promotion? Some clubs will have structured their fitness package to peak in the 2nd half of a season for a charge at promotion, but they will now not be eligible because they didnt spend enough? 

This is a financial thing, I.e if you invest in our sport, we will deliver the competition and prizes you fight for, if we can't deliver, we will compensate you. You can be assured your money is well spent with us. If any club can demonstrate it's invested in this season over the Championship average it should be compensated. 

Archived