RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

This is a financial thing, I.e if you invest in our sport, we will deliver the competition and prizes you fight for, if we can't deliver, we will compensate you. You can be assured your money is well spent with us. If any club can demonstrate it's invested in this season over the Championship average it should be compensated. 

But then how is that fair on a club who has spent a few years spending money to build for a push this season, compared to a club who have threw a load of money at it just this season?

13 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think reading between the lines Featherstone and Leigh will not be happy with this development one little bit.

And my feeling is that they will if this is confirmed to be the case,issue legal proceedings against the RFL.

And I think things will get very messy 

from Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell

“If it comes down to the decision that the season cannot resume until 2021, we will accept that,

so doubt we will be going to court any time soon

17 minutes ago, POR said:

Simple solution end of 21 relegate two fom SL promote two from championship to make up for no promotion this year

And relegate 4 from Championship and promote 4 from League 1 to make up for no promotion this year?

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

And relegate 4 from Championship and promote 4 from League 1 to make up for no promotion this year?

YES if that what it takes  to keep Beaumonts gob shut👄🤣

1 minute ago, POR said:

YES if that what it takes  to keep Beaumonts gob shut👄🤣

32 minutes ago, POR said:

Simple solution end of 21 relegate two fom SL promote two from championship to make up for no promotion this year

Am not sure that's really practical...........noone knows what the landscape will be like in 22 with the new TV deal and additional funding will be needed for the parachute payment of the 2nd relegated team.

There's no vision in the game, it's hampered by short term decisions, often driven by club owners own selfish agendas. It appears the game is just keeping its fingers crossed for a new TV deal and little else is being done to strengthen the game or long term vision on where the top flight (and lower tiers) will be going.............including matters such as foreign clubs, P&R, sponsors (outside of Betfred)

50 minutes ago, dkw said:

But then how is that fair on a club who has spent a few years spending money to build for a push this season, compared to a club who have threw a load of money at it just this season?

Not saying you are wrong dk, but who are these long term Championship chasers you have in mind, examples please. 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Am not sure that's really practical...........noone knows what the landscape will be like in 22 with the new TV deal and additional funding will be needed for the parachute payment of the 2nd relegated team.

There's no vision in the game, it's hampered by short term decisions, often driven by club owners own selfish agendas. It appears the game is just keeping its fingers crossed for a new TV deal and little else is being done to strengthen the game or long term vision on where the top flight (and lower tiers) will be going.............including matters such as foreign clubs, P&R, sponsors (outside of Betfred)

RL wallows in mediocrity, it flourishes in its lack of ambition - it then wonders why it cant attract blue chip sponsors or the right tv deals. It had owners outside SL willing and able to fund ambition whilst it had owners in SL investing nothing in facilities with a goal of simply not being relegated, it makes TW wait 3 years to feed at the top table instead of fast tracking - what is the situation at Newcastle, they seem cashed up and in a decent stadium? - RFL rotten to the core with the top table overpaid and underworked

45 minutes ago, POR said:

28 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yep fair enough suggestions, what competitions we would have a number of SL clubs fighting to stave of jeapordy along with 4 Championship clubs, and lots of competition  to secure a pro otion spot, bring it on.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

The only fair thing to do would be to put on some kind of mini-condensed comp or "championship cup" and offer hefty prize money to the winners, runners-up and semi finalists. Do it over 8-weeks or something and at least it is done on the field.

Why nothing for the rest of the participants?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Go down to ten teams in the Championship, have a nineteen game season (9 H&A games and a Bash weekend), end the season around June time and then fill the second half of the season with the 1895 Cup that gives teams a guaranteed number of home games to match the number “lost” by fewer league games. 

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

Why nothing for the rest of the participants?

Well yes there would be. It would be like any competition. What I meant was that you could weight prize money to the winners, runners-up etc. and it gives everyone a shot at it on the field. 

15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

RL wallows in mediocrity, it flourishes in its lack of ambition - it then wonders why it cant attract blue chip sponsors or the right tv deals. It had owners outside SL willing and able to fund ambition whilst it had owners in SL investing nothing in facilities with a goal of simply not being relegated, it makes TW wait 3 years to feed at the top table instead of fast tracking - what is the situation at Newcastle, they seem cashed up and in a decent stadium? - RFL rotten to the core with the top table overpaid and underworked

I see the pubs are open again.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not saying you are wrong dk, but who are these long term Championship chasers you have in mind, examples please. 

I dont know, I dont know the 3/5 year plans of teams. I just dont see how its fair to just split the money between the clubs who have spent the most this season, its a ridiculous idea.

2 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

The game’s a joke just wrap the whole thing up and forget RL it has no credibility and would be better off consigned to history

Did you miss the lethal global pandemic which unleashed the biggest health and economic shock since the Second World War?

Honestly, the lengths some people in rugby league go to have a moan is just mindboggling

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

No P& R will those teams involved in bottom of table  approach games - e.g. that impact those teams involved in chasing grand final.

Maybe should count this season performance together with next season to count towards P&R for the following season.

No other sport is doing this. This rugby league exceptionalism needs to stop. The game needs to just get a grip, be thankful it's survived a global economic catastrophe well enough to have a season in 2021, and move on.  

9 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It would take more than that to achieve that (welcome) state of affairs 🤐

Bet you would have loved to have had Bradford lad like Derek Beaumont at the Bulls these last few years Paul, I don't think you would be playing in the Championship or in some foriegn town as you presently do.

14 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

No other sport is doing this. This rugby league exceptionalism needs to stop. The game needs to just get a grip, be thankful it's survived a global economic catastrophe well enough to have a season in 2021, and move on.  

maybe but my comment relates to completing a full season now... with no P&R their is no consequence at the bottom, but we are still striving to have a winner of the comp.

Scrap all relegation and winning league as in traditional Grand Final and have a separate competition as both top and bottom will be impacted similarly.

I don't think Sky will be bothered as to what the competition it is as long as they get meaningful games to show.

30 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Did you miss the lethal global pandemic which unleashed the biggest health and economic shock since the Second World War?

Honestly, the lengths some people in rugby league go to have a moan is just mindboggling

Amazingly despite the global pandemic other sports can still manage to have promotion and relegation. Just an excuse to manipulate the game and exclude who they want to and people are happy to just go along with it. As I said it’s a joke 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bet you would have loved to have had Bradford lad like Derek Beaumont at the Bulls these last few years Paul, I don't think you would be playing in the Championship or in some foriegn town as you presently do.

Haha, I don't think anyone in Bradford either has that sort of money, or is daft enough to throw it down the 'black hole' of Rugby League. 

Archived