RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

I don't think I have seen any classless posts from Kayakman.

Surprised at that suggestion.

Not surprised at the decision of no promotion/relegation.

Once it was known the sport would take a financial hit none of the Super League club owners would like a change of clubs and the need to pay out central funding to a UK based club when that is not done in relation to Toronto Wolfpack.

Any legal action would need to be addressed to two governing bodies - Super League - for the non-relegation - and the RFL preventing any promotion.

That's a lot of money to pay out to get nowhere.

Until the sport ends the in-fighting it ain't going to get anywhere.

The hiatus hasn't led to any improvement or unity for on-field or off-field matters.

Pity..

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Haha, I don't think anyone in Bradford either has that sort of money, or is daft enough to throw it down the 'black hole' of Rugby League. 

Are you a politician Paul avoiding a straightforward answer, again would you have liked someone rich or daft enough at the Bulls?

There's a lot of agitation on the Fev Facebook page for a breakaway league and a separate TV deal.  Not sure whether there's any mileage in this, but certainly if clubs can serve up the sort of fare provided by Leigh and Fev in the play off game last season, a TV station might be persuaded to bite.  It was better than any SL game I've seen for a long time.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

23 minutes ago, Trojan said:

There's a lot of agitation on the Fev Facebook page for a breakaway league and a separate TV deal.  Not sure whether there's any mileage in this, but certainly if clubs can serve up the sort of fare provided by Leigh and Fev in the play off game last season, a TV station might be persuaded to bite.  It was better than any SL game I've seen for a long time.

Not happening is it

I think it’s time to write to my MP to investigate the money given to RL to support the sport through the pandemic. This money should be used to support testing across all levels of the game and allow the season to be finished and inline with the rules at the start of the season including promotion and relegation.

I will call on the government to claw back the money if the game is not prepared to be inclusive for all its member clubs and I would love like to the accounts for how the money has been spent.

2 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I think it’s time to write to my MP to investigate the money given to RL to support the sport through the pandemic. This money should be used to support testing across all levels of the game and allow the season to be finished and inline with the rules at the start of the season including promotion and relegation.

I will call on the government to claw back the money if the game is not prepared to be inclusive for all its member clubs and I would love like to the accounts for how the money has been spent.

No money has been given to the game, just access to a £16million loan, and that was specifically to be used to support the community foundations of clubs not the player wages/restart costs - based on the RL in Communities report commissioned partly by GM Mayor and former Leigh MP Andy Burnham. Thus far, no club has actually applied for any of the money though Hull KR I believe said they would be applying last week?

In short I'm trying to save you and your MP a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No money has been given to the game, just access to a £16million loan, and that was specifically to be used to support the community foundations of clubs not the player wages/restart costs - based on the RL in Communities report commissioned partly by GM Mayor and former Leigh MP Andy Burnham. Thus far, no club has actually applied for any of the money though Hull KR I believe said they would be applying last week?

In short I'm trying to save you and your MP a waste of time.

I thought Gary Hetherington said Leeds were applying for some of it? 

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I thought Gary Hetherington said Leeds were applying for some of it? 

Not seen or could find anything on a quick google search for that myself; probably will be true considering the size of the Rhinos foundation. Regardless of it happening or not it doesn't change the overall fact that writing to your MP on this is pointless.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you a politician Paul avoiding a straightforward answer, again would you have liked someone rich or daft enough at the Bulls?

Well we've had a few daft owners Harry, no doubt about that.

It would have been good to have someone with genuine money come at one of the many opportunities to do so - but I'm resigned now to the fact it won't even happen

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Aka done it on the cheap as no ambition can be seen

Got to disagree with that statement sweaty. It was only the other season that we signed players from amateur divisions to swell our squad as Derek said we had no money, plus we had the buckets out to help fund players, does that mean we had no ambition?

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Aka done it on the cheap as no ambition can be seen

One minute Leigh fans moan about Toronto spending money and not developing players then the next we get comments like this in response to clubs built on youth. It seems like it is okay doing this and spending money as long as you are the top dog doing so.

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't agree. I think the RFL statement takes into account the position of the majority of clubs and is perfectly sensible. As things stand, it looks like it isn't going to be financially possible to run the Championship or League 1, which means no promotion or relegation. If things have changed in the next couple of weeks, before the SL season restarts, then a different decision can be made. Probably nothing will change, but there's no downside to waiting a bit longer IMO. The same applies for the continuing participation of the Championship & League 1 clubs in the Challenge Cup. The RFL statement is accurately reflecting the consensus of its member clubs AFAICT.

If we end up with a reduced Championship/League 1 competition in Autumn/ Winter, then it's probably right to say no promotion to SL if there wouldn't be sufficient time to recruit a squad and/or have a proper off-season for current squad.

5 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I believe now that the decision has been deferred once again to the 23rd July.

Someone please make a decision for gods sake one way or another.This makes the game look very bad.

latest from FEV board

Therefore the situation will be reviewed at the Board updates on the next two Mondays (July 13 and 20), with a decision to be made at the latest by July 23 – both on the resumption of the Championship and League One season, and on promotion and relegation between the competitions.

It is farcial not to have a decision by now, again vested interests hold sway - Just because Featherstone and Leigh have vocal chairman and posters does not mean they arte the only clubs dissappointed with the remnoured outcome. but perhaps London and Toulouse (and any others) prefer to make their views known in private.

If there a group of clubs who would rather the season be postponed altogether in the Championship and League 1 then basically they are clubs going nowhere and any future restructure of the league needs to take that into account.

It is however pointless to be playing if there is nothing to play for and even if you had a £ 500,000 Championship Cup with no dual registration players allowed, I would be at best lukewarm over this.

It's also true to say that the bulk of the Super League clubs would also have nothing to play for either, so we would have the repeat of the sterility of the franchise period. Ultimately this decision, if made, will not just kill off clubs in the lower tiers as the problems at Bradford, London and Salford all happened during franchising for those with short memories.

A sad day for the sport with the split and the move to franchising in 2021 coming ever nearer with the Super League rejecting closer links to the RFL - I wonder why....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

It is farcial not to have a decision by now, again vested interests hold sway - Just because Featherstone and Leigh have vocal chairman and posters does not mean they arte the only clubs dissappointed with the remnoured outcome. but perhaps London and Toulouse (and any others) prefer to make their views known in private.

If there a group of clubs who would rather the season be postponed altogether in the Championship and League 1 then basically they are clubs going nowhere and any future restructure of the league needs to take that into account.

It is however pointless to be playing if there is nothing to play for and even if you had a £ 500,000 Championship Cup with no dual registration players allowed, I would be at best lukewarm over this.

It's also true to say that the bulk of the Super League clubs would also have nothing to play for either, so we would have the repeat of the sterility of the franchise period. Ultimately this decision, if made, will not just kill off clubs in the lower tiers as the problems at Bradford, London and Salford all happened during franchising for those with short memories.

A sad day for the sport with the split and the move to franchising in 2021 coming ever nearer with the Super League rejecting closer links to the RFL - I wonder why....

more from FEV

a majority also expressed support for the possibility of a meaningful competition later in the autumn and winter i

I think criticism of the RFL is grossly unfair.

How can they possibly make any decision until Super League decide on whether or not to relegate a club?

Interesting that it seems one of those sat on the stage when Elstone was appointed now seems to want one governing body.

Perhaps the fault lies with the Member Clubs...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Or maybe this group of clubs feel if they were to restart with no fans, no sponsorship, no income then it would destroy the fight they have had the past 3 months to survive and would see their club destroyed. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Or maybe this group of clubs feel if they were to restart with no fans, no sponsorship, no income then it would destroy the fight they have had the past 3 months to survive and would see their club destroyed. 

AGREE from FEV

for a majority of clubs in each competition, playing matches behind closed doors is impractical, given the costs and other logistical issues.

and that includes FEV who many think are just pushing for promotion at all costs

14 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Or maybe clubs who are trying to survive through unprecedented times and just might need matchday income to make it viable when they’re already struggling like hell to make ends meet - and have done great things just to keep their head above water through all this 

Archived