RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Or maybe clubs who are trying to survive through unprecedented times and just might need matchday income to make it viable when they’re already struggling like hell to make ends meet - and have done great things just to keep their head above water through all this 

They are the same clubs as always, let them keep their heads above water competing with likewise clubs

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If there a group of clubs who would rather the season be postponed altogether in the Championship and League 1 then basically they are clubs going nowhere and any future restructure of the league needs to take that into account.

Presumably you would put county cricket and the six nations rugby union competition in the same "going nowhere" bracket? Cricket hasn't confirmed whether the county championship or other competitions will go ahead, and there are no announced dates for the six nations games yet.

1 hour ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Got to disagree with that statement sweaty. It was only the other season that we signed players from amateur divisions to swell our squad as Derek said we had no money, plus we had the buckets out to help fund players, does that mean we had no ambition?

When was that JD, I missed it unless you have dreamt something up about 2018

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Or maybe clubs who are trying to survive through unprecedented times and just might need matchday income to make it viable when they’re already struggling like hell to make ends meet - and have done great things just to keep their head above water through all this 

I can easily see how it would cost lower league clubs far more to come back at the moment than they could ever realistically earn in income. Furlough eliminates some of their biggest costs and ensures players and staff get money too. Survival of clubs should be the priority and if that means canceling the season and regroupingfor next season then so be it. 

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

They are the same clubs as always, let them keep their heads above water competing with likewise clubs

What's your preferred option? Just have a league for the clubs with rich benefactors, (or who are in France and allowed to have crowds of up to 5000 people present)? Leigh vs London vs Toulouse vs maybe Newcastle? Play each other 4 times and then have a final of the top two? Hard to see any clubs that rely on paying spectators taking part.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Not seen or could find anything on a quick google search for that myself; probably will be true considering the size of the Rhinos foundation. Regardless of it happening or not it doesn't change the overall fact that writing to your MP on this is pointless.

Yorkshire Evening Post, I think it was in on the 4th May, Gary Hetherington said Leeds will be in the queue for some of the money. It is on the Internet.

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

If Mr Beaumont and your club are so much better and more ambitious than the pub teams you keep slagging off,please explain why they are not in S.L. NOW.

8 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

If Mr Beaumont and your club are so much better and more ambitious than the pub teams you keep slagging off,please explain why they are not in S.L. NOW.

Ironically they were one of these "pub teams" not that long ago, and could quite easily be again should their benefactor throw his toys out the pram again and stomp of.

19 hours ago, dboy said:

A condition of membership of the RFL, is that a member club cannot sue the RFL.

If a member club sues the RFL, they forfeit their membership of the RFL.

A condition of membership (it's a "member's club"), is that you accept the rules and decisions of the member's club.

Don't like the rules? Leave the member's club.

Get it?

Members’ club, not member’s club, otherwise it would be a membership of one club!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

12 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Meanwhile BBC Sport are reporting that SL might not even re-start because of disputes over pay cuts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53314482

The plot thickens 😳

Also says that still haven't actually finally confirmed the P&R issue?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We all know the best scenario next season is to have 2 teams promoted next season and then one promoted and one relegated from then on. This gives us 27 games including magic with no dreaded loop games which invariably sees Wigan playing Warrington 5 times in a season. But of course they will never vote for this because their slice of the Sky cake would be smaller.

29 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Meanwhile BBC Sport are reporting that SL might not even re-start because of disputes over pay cuts

The plot thickens 😳

Tacit agreements....non binding and even less useful then a handshake agreement in most places!  If only there was some sort of body the players could belong to that allows them to have some sort of bargaining power over pay and working conditions....

With contracts expiring end of November (I think) I can't see this being too much of an issue. But if a club is healthy enough to pay ALL of their staff a full wage (emphasis on all staff) then let them.

18 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

We all know the best scenario next season is to have 2 teams promoted next season and then one promoted and one relegated from then on. This gives us 27 games including magic with no dreaded loop games which invariably sees Wigan playing Warrington 5 times in a season. But of course they will never vote for this because their slice of the Sky cake would be smaller.

One of the more sensible posts on the subject.How the SL strugglers hated the middle eights because they couldn't just go through the motions in games with no chance of relegation.

51 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The plot thickens 😳

The pay cut dispute is also covered in LE, according to their article Hull FC managed to come to an agreement with their players a few weeks ago and the players' union want a SL wide agreement along the same or very similar terms as Hull FC agreed with their squad. The LE article suggests an agreed upon 15% pay cut until Oct at FC with review of the situation made then (the plan being to pay full wage from then on).

The following is my opinion on the matter. The headline of the BBC article is sensationalist to get views. Considering that to not restart the season having agreed to would almost certainly forfeit the money from Sky and would definitely sour the relationship at a time when we as a sport are attempting to negotiate a future tv contract with them (presumably, as no other broadcaster has shown interest before). Failing to restart the season as promised in August would kill off all of the pro clubs (and semi pro ones as they rely on the same money) and thus the pro/semi pro levels of the sport. We will see agreement reached and the restart will go ahead. 

8 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

The game’s a joke just wrap the whole thing up and forget RL it has no credibility and would be better off consigned to history

Bye bye 🙌

5 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I don't think I have seen any classless posts from Kayakman.

Why Thank You Angelic Cynic....he was just taking a cheap shot at me for calling him out....I say 'up' your game rather than looking for a scapegoat.

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Why Thank You Angelic Cynic....he was just taking a cheap shot at me for calling him out....I say 'up' your game rather than looking for a scapegoat.

Not worth it, out of respect for the mods. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Well no, where did you call me out? My 'cheap shot' was my first post, nowt to do with you 'calling me out' - just another of your blatant untruths. 

I can't be dealing with blatant liars. If the mods want evidence of lying, it is in this post. 

Classy post Dave...real classy.

Archived