RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes, but as a measure of how strong a club is, you only need to look how many away fans have travelled. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14586647

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Clueless!.......jumping to at the mere possibility of my statement leading to criticism of the expansion. Clearly barring Thursday night's and the Atlantic Ocean, away following gives a damn good indication of a Clubs standing in the game. 

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You have had it drilled into your head that away fans don’t count. Ask any player if away fans count!

No, I haven’t. I can see that it’s a terrible barometer for how successful a club is. 

Now, West Wales, Coventry and London Skolars probably don’t take 25 fans between them for games away from home, however, the work the three do in their local communities in terms of growing the game is worth more to the game than 50 fans going to Keighley, Barrow or Hunslet away. 

4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They are sat in their comfort zone. It’s quite easy for any club to say what’s happening at home.

But if only 25 are travelling (respect to them) you’re doing something wrong.

Looking at their average attendances, you expect something like 20% of their average attendance (minimum) to travel to away games? I’m sorry, that’s the daftest thing I’ve heard and I’ve supported Rugby League all my life. 

19 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Members’ club, not member’s club, otherwise it would be a membership of one club!

Yes, it's membership of the "RFL club"; the clubs are members.

The club belongs to the members; it's a member's club when written as "possession of the membership, belong to the members".

It is THE member's club.

It is A members' club.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s an aside, no? Isn’t retaining the number of clubs we have of more importance? We’ve got people here decrying Super League as some money hungry organisation because their team is not making the hypothetical cut of 12-14 teams with the drawbridge pulled up and the same people pushing for a 20 team competition with the drawbridge pulled up, completely forgetting the other seventeen teams in the game. 

I would hope nobody wants to see a Club go to the wall. Me personally as Featherstone Supporter would never want to see any form of Closed Shop, whatever Division Featherstone might be in. P&R gives everyone the opportunity to play at the highest level, which for me is what competitive sport is all about. 

6 hours ago, POR said:

That's true  but with the money they self generate and with the sky money FEV would also be full time funny thing is FEV wanted to go full time on two occasions some years ago  but players didn't want to🤣

In the future FEV have drawn up plans  to redevelop 17 acres of land they own next to the ground into a business park and if you believe what  so called business gurus in the area have estimated  it  will bring in excess of 80 grand a month so things are looking rosy for FEV 

You mentioned DR and yes FEV have a successful one with Leeds   

The ironic thing is  FEV who run a successful dual reg system that other fans moan  about FEV were the only champioship club to vote against the introduction of DR 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's not just Fev that have benefitted from DR, I don't have any complaints about it as gives players gametime however it shows how thin the squads in the professional game. 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

They are sat in their comfort zone. It’s quite easy for any club to say what’s happening at home.

But if only 25 are travelling (respect to them) you’re doing something wrong.

If any club is dependent on away fans then they are the ones doing something wrong.

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

It's not just Fev that have benefitted from DR, I don't have any complaints about it as gives players gametime however it shows how thin the squads in the professional game. 

It also decries players of game time, tell me HK be honest, if you were at a club trained your backside off and the coach approches you and says sorry standing you down this week, we have got X from our DR partner who needs a game this week, my reaction would be "transfer list please and screw you"

DR is abhorrent, even the Fev fans I have spoke to concur.

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

There’s nothing there about supporting away clubs! Are you reading the right thread?

The source of what you quoted was this:

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Any club relying on away fans needs liquidating, too. 

It is quite clear.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It also decries players of game time, tell me HK be honest, if you were at a club trained your backside off and the coach approches you and says sorry standing you down this week, we have got X from our DR partner who needs a game this week, my reaction would be "transfer list please and screw you"

DR is abhorrent, even the Fev fans I have spoke to concur.

DR was a poorly thought out plan. It could have been policed better, though I still imagine you’d get the same arguments against it. 

5 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

As a SL club we were in the middle 8 relegation battle every year. Last year we were in a relegation battle and this year we are one of the favourites to go down. Leigh and London both came up and went back down the following year and any promoted team will have the odds stacked against them. RL isn’t like football where if you are promoted to the PL you could try to grind out enough points to stay up by sticking most of your team behind the ball.

At the very least promoted teams should have a year or two exemption from relegation to help them try to grow as a SL club on and off the field as I think we will end up with a situation where there will be clubs that are too good for the Championship but not quite good enough for Super League which won’t do them any good at all.

Which then creates another problem , so do you only have P and R every 2/3 years ? , Do you condemn the relegated team to the lower tiers for that time , what damage might that do them ?

Whatever you do there is always an opposite 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

DR was a poorly thought out plan. It could have been policed better, though I still imagine you’d get the same arguments against it. 

We (Leigh) had quite a few of your lads in 2019 who as a fan of the game it was good to see their development, they were lads who went on to play an important role for the Saints namely Jack Ashworth, Aaron Smith, James Bentley and Matty Costello, we also had Adam Swift and Danny Richardson and another couple of lads Joe Batchelor and Josh Eaves, and you know what I couldn't veiw them with anything other than they were guests they didn't belong there, there was no expectation that they would be around to grow the club, as a fan they were not my player's. We also had Luke Douglas but he was a season long loan which although not a massive fan but I find far more palatable to accept.

And quite honestly I am not in the least bothered in assisting another club who are in a position to keep all their players in house, under one coach and representing the club in a reserve team.

Saints and Leigh are still in a DR situation this season, will either club want to excersize the partnership I don't know, depends whether P&R is maintained, if it isn't it doesn't really matter, if we still have promotion on offer I would sooner go it alone that is a personal preference, but those in the club may think otherwise, above anything I don't think clubs going for prizes should be allowed DR.

The reality is, no matter what we debate, and no matter what the clubs/RFL want the decision on retaining P&R, or moving back to licensing is going to be made by the TV company,  no TV contract, no pro game, even more so after this pandemic, if Sky says jump, the RFL and clubs say”how high”. 

Archived