RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dave T said:

Already tried to edit out of respect for the mods. I have no time for fantasists. I'll leave you to it. 

Let it go Dave...let it go.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Just make Super League a semi-closed shop and let Fev, Leigh, Batley, Halifax and co. contest the ‘British Rugby League Championship’. <grabs coat and scarpers>

I enjoyed it more when we were seperate to super league. We had our own grand final and our own cup competiton. Also there was genuine competition. Crowds were good too.

There was no need to watch super league, as with no promotion it wasn't relevant to the Championship. Everything could be focused on our own league. 

2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Yorkshire Evening Post, I think it was in on the 4th May, Gary Hetherington said Leeds will be in the queue for some of the money. It is on the Internet.

Regardless its for the foundation not the restart so his point is still mute.

4 minutes ago, Niels said:

I enjoyed it more when we were seperate to super league. We had our own grand final and our own cup competiton. Also there was genuine competition. Crowds were good too.

There was no need to watch super league, as with no promotion it wasn't relevant to the Championship. Everything could be focused on our own league. 

And the attendances at the LSV dropped from around 2400 to around 1300 

Just now, Niels said:

Said it the other day: this situation is trying to tell us something. Full-time oil doesn’t mix with part-time water.

I find all this mildly absurd.

Here we have a second tier professional competition where the majority of clubs seemingly can’t afford to compete in it. Yet that same completion is expected - by the clubs who can afford to compete - to produce a Super League club. There’s no integrity here whatsoever.

20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Said it the other day: this situation is trying to tell us something. Full-time oil doesn’t mix with part-time water.

I find all this mildly absurd.

Here we have a second tier professional competition where the majority of clubs seemingly can’t afford to compete in it. Yet that same completion is expected - by the clubs who can afford to compete - to produce a Super League club. There’s no integrity here whatsoever.

The Championship is certainly very lobsided.

4 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Thats true but its the nature of all 2nd divisions. They have that mix of clubs dropped from the higher division, clubs going through the paces, and clubs just happy to be there and desperate to stay. Just because its compressed into 14 rather than 24 teams just highlights it even more.

34 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And the attendances at the LSV dropped from around 2400 to around 1300 

That's a fair point. I think crowds were high the years from 2000 upto when you were promoted? Then did they drop?

Leigh always brought a lot of fans to Batley. It was a good atmosphere. 

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

That's a fair point. I think crowds were high the years from 2000 upto when you were promoted? Then did they drop?

They dropped during licencing 

14 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

To be brutally honest. Leigh is just a **** town in Wigan. 

They have a tidy, tight ground with impressive acoustics that makes Leigh a pre-eminent Championship club, but it’s never going to host a Super League powerhouse. 

Leigh should aim to a sustainable, top Championship club that wins trophies instead of a rich man’s toy. Ditto Widnes, Halifax and Featherstone. 

If it was me I’d award the old Championship trophy to the winners. British RL Champions. Let Super League go it’s own way as a more international competition. 

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

We love the Mount , always most welcoming , from Kevin serving us beer to the delicacy of ' cheesy chips ' 

3 hours ago, JonM said:

If we end up with a reduced Championship/League 1 competition in Autumn/ Winter, then it's probably right to say no promotion to SL if there wouldn't be sufficient time to recruit a squad and/or have a proper off-season for current squad.

In that case why not defer promotion for the winners until 2022? Future promotions could also be deferred for 12 months over the next few seasons to see whether giving them more time to prepare makes the competition stronger?  

One has to wonder if this thread would have the same tone if, say TWP and Huddersfield were to switch places in the current table.

Methinks not.

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

To be brutally honest. Leigh is just a town in Wigan. 

They have a tidy, tight ground with impressive acoustics that makes Leigh a pre-eminent Championship club, but it’s never going to host a Super League powerhouse. 

Leigh should aim to a sustainable, top Championship club that wins trophies instead of a rich man’s toy. Ditto Widnes, Halifax and Featherstone. 

If it was me I’d award the old Championship trophy to the winners. British RL Champions. Let Super League go it’s own way as a more international competition. 

True it is unlikely we'll ever dominate the sport in the UK , however until SL is crammed with Brisbane Broncos type mega clubs , then take away our ambitions and I've no doubt the fans will vote with their feet , and their cash cards and we won't need our tidy tight stadium 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Does Super League know which way it wants to turn? 

That's not to rock the boat or be a dig - a genuine question. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

15 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

In that case why not defer promotion for the winners until 2022? Future promotions could also be deferred for 12 months over the next few seasons to see whether giving them more time to prepare makes the competition stronger?  

So do you defer relegation as well ? , Essentially a dead man walking club ?

5 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Does Super League know which way it wants to turn? 

That's not to rock the boat or be a dig - a genuine question. 

Reading the tea leaves, I think licensing is back on the agenda. Just a hunch.

For the next TV deal, I suspect they will want to be control of things to build the comp, not be hostages to fortune (ie the vicissitudes of P&R). 

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

True it is unlikely we'll ever dominate the sport in the UK , however until SL is crammed with Brisbane Broncos type mega clubs , then take away our ambitions and I've no doubt the fans will vote with their feet , and their cash cards and we won't need our tidy tight stadium 

Ah yes, the old ‘We’ll move to Geneva’ bankers threat. A successful Leigh will attract a decent crowd. Besides, it’s not as if they were being locked out when you were last in SL. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Ah yes, the old ‘We’ll move to Geneva’ bankers threat. A successful Leigh will attract a decent crowd. Besides, it’s not as if they were being locked out when you were last in SL. 

I don't understand your post , we were locked out when we had licencing , everybody was 

A succssessful Leigh is a club attempting to get promoted or being in SL , take away that potential and crowds drop , investment dries up 

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If a Castleford & a Salford can do the business, there's no reason a Leigh, a Widnes, a Featherstone or a Halifax could not rise to challenge again. 

Archived