RFL to revise quota rules

10 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Quota rulings are set to be changed at Monday’s RFL board meeting. It will see clubs still allowed to sign a total of seven foreign...

View the full article

What a joke. We really need to be reducing the amount of overseas players we have here

This will suit the lazy clubs who only pat lip service to junior development

So of the starting 13 seven could be overseas!      Great!

They should be going the other way, of the squad 17 for the game a given number should be "club trained". Exceptions would have to be made for Toronto but as for the rest they'd have to live with it.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

So of the starting 13 seven could be overseas!      Great!

They should be going the other way, of the squad 17 for the game a given number should be "club trained". Exceptions would have to be made for Toronto but as for the rest they'd have to live with it.

But of the seventeen man squad, all of whom who play in a normal game, ten will be from the UK. 

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It was a prefect chance for GB Rugby League to reduce it's overseas Quota and encourage clubs to develop British talent. They have failed

Aah! A post-lockdown return to normal.

"They have failed." 

Frankly I am surprised that there won't be a significant post-Brexit adjustment. Reference is still being made to European status as acting as a qualification but do the Home Office go along with this?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Frankly I am surprised that there won't be a significant post-Brexit adjustment. Reference is still being made to European status as acting as a qualification but do the Home Office go along with this?

I'm sure there will be a new criteria and some of these has been's and never was players from the NRL will fail that.

As soon as the UK voted to come out of the EU, Professional Rugby League clubs in this country should has put in plans to augment their junior players numbers.

I welcome this! Could do more to be honest.  In a purely free market way, increased competition for positions should create higher quality all around,including quality of players coming up

There are plenty of other ways to incentivese player development.  But denying top talent from around the world isn't it.

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

It looks as if the rules have been clarified and may lead to better quality signings instead of picking up players because they hold a useful passport. 

But seven is too many in my opinion. 

Yes, the statement from the RFL was much clearer although not really so for non-SL clubs. How would you interpret " At Championship and League 1 level the removal of any restrictions will be monitored." ?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, the statement from the RFL was much clearer although not really so for non-SL clubs. How would you interpret " At Championship and League 1 level the removal of any restrictions will be monitored." ?

How would I interpret that? 😄 😄

Well, giving an organisation the benefit of the doubt it barely deserves, we could assume the situation is being monitored. Tbh I don't know what the current quota rules are at our level.

Those of a more cynical bent may interpret that as "Not Super League? Who gives a toss?"

8 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I mean, to me that says below SL the rules don't apply - unless the rfl later decides that it's a problem - very cryptic

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What’s the criteria on whether someone is classed as overseas or not? Does a European passport get someone off the overseas list? Will the likes off Hastings and Coote count as overseas?

Read the RFL statement. It is quite specific, if a little complicated, about EU status.

On 06/07/2020 at 07:08, The Future is League said:

What a joke. We really need to be reducing the amount of overseas players we have here

Why?

We had this debate about 15 years ago when clubs were full of Kolpaks. The argument was that if we tightened the quota, it would give England / GB a better chance of beating Australia.

Fast forward 15 years and with a tightened quota, we're relying more on ancestry players and getting beat by PNG and Tonga.

So other than the "they're taking our jobs" argument, why should we be reducing overseas players in our comp?

As a fan, I want to see the most talented players possible. Their nationality is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Why?

We had this debate about 15 years ago when clubs were full of Kolpaks. The argument was that if we tightened the quota, it would give England / GB a better chance of beating Australia.

Fast forward 15 years and with a tightened quota, we're relying more on ancestry players and getting beat by PNG and Tonga.

So other than the "they're taking our jobs" argument, why should we be reducing overseas players in our comp?

As a fan, I want to see the most talented players possible. Their nationality is irrelevant.

TBF we got within 6 points of winning a World Cup, although I do partly agree with what you say. I think 7 overseas players is about right (if it is actually 7 and not full of loop holes) 

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

TBF we got within 6 points of winning a World Cup, although I do partly agree with what you say. I think 7 overseas players is about right (if it is actually 7 and not full of loop holes) 

It needs to reduced by at least 1 per year, year on year imo.

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

It needs to reduced by at least 1 per year, year on year imo.

But why? For what purpose?

Reducing the quota hasn't made the England / GB team in the 15 years or so since the rules changed to nullify the Kolpak ruling (if anything, we're finding it harder to put together a team that is LESS competitive), it hasn't helped Super League retain its best talent, it hasn't increased participation and it hasn't improved the quality of the league.

Super League's "box office players" are predominantly overseas players - Hastings, SBW, Maloney, Hurrell, Falou - we need more of them, not less (homophobia aside).

If there was an objectively good decision to reduce the number of overseas players in SL, I'd hear it, but I don't think there is one. It's one of those "sounds like a good idea" things that actually doesn't have a lot of merit behind it.

It hasn't made England / GB any more competitive (if anything,we've gone backwards), it doesn't improve the standard or marketability of SL and I don't believe that there is an English kid working in a factory or fall centre who can credibly say "if it weren't for Konrad Hurrell, I'd be a Great Britain centre".

Protectionism or jingoism aren't good enough reasons to prevent clubs recruiting the best talent they can.

6 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Super League's "box office players" are predominantly overseas players - Hastings, SBW, Maloney, Hurrell, Falou - we need more of them, not less (homophobia aside).

Increasing the quota does not increase the number of marquee players though, it simply increases the number of average imports.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Increasing the quota does not increase the number of marquee players though, it simply increases the number of average imports.

But if we accept that recruiting a player from the other side of the world is neither cheap nor risk free, why are these "average" Antipodean players being recruited ahead of (presumably cheaper and easier-to-recruit) English players?

If it is because average Australian players are better than average English players, surely the answer is to improve youth player coaching, not to damage the Super League product by forcing clubs to employ sub-par players just because of their passport or accident of birth?

Archived