Fiji might have a decent #7

Fiji have struggled for decent half backs but maybe that's about to change. 

Young Brandon Wakeham is playing well and going someway towards making the Bulldogs #7 shirt his. 

It's still early days but if he does kick on then he could be a game-changer for the Fijian team playing behind a potentially awesome pack. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve watched him for a while, there was a point last year where he looked awful. He really needs to work on his kicking game in order to succeed further - watch him against Samoa in 2019. His end of sets are really poor.

This year, however, he is much improved and I agree massively with your sentiment

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Would be great to see Fiji (and/or Samoa) reach the same standard as Tonga, it would really liven the international game up. 

Fiji haven't been given the same chances as Tinga even though they reached the same stage as Tonga in 2017 and beat the same tier 1 side that year. Tonga got games against NZ, GB & Australia in the years after that but Fiji just got dumped in to tier 2 of the Oceania Cup.

On paper they look just as strong, hopefully they can get a crack at NZ & Tonga later this year.

24 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Fiji haven't been given the same chances as Tinga even though they reached the same stage as Tonga in 2017 and beat the same tier 1 side that year. Tonga got games against NZ, GB & Australia in the years after that but Fiji just got dumped in to tier 2 of the Oceania Cup.

On paper they look just as strong, hopefully they can get a crack at NZ & Tonga later this year.

In addition to some very impressive outside backs their potential pack looks very strong, too, particularly if Daniel Saifiti opts for Fiji. 

There are some big boys amongst this lot! Kikau, Kamikamica, Evans, Koroisau, Tariq and Koben Sims and Daniel and Jacob Saifiti.

42 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

The difference is that Tonga have, over the last couple of years, brought out big crowds and have established something of a base in Auckland. Fiji have had a longer period of success but don't generate anything like the ticket sales.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

9 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Young Brandon Wakeham is playing well and going someway towards making the Bulldogs #7 shirt his. 

It's still early days but if he does kick on then he could be a game-changer for the Fijian team playing behind a potentially awesome pack. 

Played really well in the mid season Pacific Cup Test last year with all his Fijian mates. The Islanders are incredibly passionate about representing their home countries. I am really excited about the WC , we have a big four now ,two cracking semi-finals and a very strong top eight.  Australia, England, Tonga , New Zealand  then  Samoa, Fiji, Papua New Guinea ,we only need one more out of France, Ireland and Wales to have four cracking Quarter Finals. Should be fantastic.

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

In addition to some very impressive outside backs their potential pack looks very strong, too, particularly if Daniel Saifiti opts for Fiji. 

There are some big boys amongst this lot! Kikau, Kamikamica, Evans, Koroisau, Tariq and Koben Sims and Daniel and Jacob Saifiti.

Backs are missing an obvious 1 & 6 option but there a few who can be switched around. Also I've heard rumours Vunivalu may stay with the Super Rugby situation up in the air.

Those forwards plus (off the top of my head) Campbell-Gillard and Vuniyayawa who's played a few games for the Warriors this year.

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

The difference is that Tonga have, over the last couple of years, brought out big crowds and have established something of a base in Auckland. Fiji have had a longer period of success but don't generate anything like the ticket sales.

Yeh I get it from a commercial point of view, but Fiji got shafted a bit after 2017 in my opinion. For one there was no playoff game to see which of Fiji or Tonga would take place in Oceania Cup tier A. Not a massive deal but if they were being 'fair' they should have had a playoff game, but then technically based on World Cup placings it should have been Aus, Fiji & Tonga so that was never going to happen.

19 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Do we know we know the path groups winners will take through the quarter and semi finals yet? 

I couldn't find it. You'd think 1st in group A would play 2nd in group B and so forth. Not sure though.

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

I think Fiji could be above England given a few games. It could be concerning for England if they meet at the WC.

Could also make for another great game at the WC.

Assuming the Kangaroos don't select Daniel Saifiti and RCG, and Hayne gets a Not Guilty and puts his boots on again, then Fiji has very handy seventeen. Dare I say it, one that on its day could beat anyone. Even the Aussies would struggle to handle this pack, with arguably the game's best front row.

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Maika Sivo
3. Waqa Blake
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Taane Milne
7. Brandon Wakeham
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Api Koroisau
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Tui Kamikamica
13. Tariq Sims

14. Kane Evans
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Koben Sims
17. Marcelo Montoya

Half backs are the key . Those halfbacks are still a way off top international standard to maybe garner consistent success , and Milne’s main claim to fame is as a wasted talent at centre . And that’s a shame as he can really play, now he’s injured unfortunately . Overall Fiji and Tonga can do wonders for the international game given the chance , and make the WC miles more interesting and competitive 

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 00:42, Number 16 said:

Cant see anything special in Wakeham TBH. He's getting his shot at the doggies now because of their SC constraints. I suspect they'll be attempting to bring in a top class 7 for next year and Wakeham will be back to reserve grade.  

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Half backs are the key . Those halfbacks are still a way off top international standard to maybe garner consistent success , and Milne’s main claim to fame is as a wasted talent at centre . And that’s a shame as he can really play, now he’s injured unfortunately . Overall Fiji and Tonga can do wonders for the international game given the chance , and make the WC miles more interesting and competitive 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Cant see anything special in Wakeham TBH. He's getting his shot at the doggies now because of their SC constraints. I suspect they'll be attempting to bring in a top class 7 for next year and Wakeham will be back to reserve grade.  

I don't disagree with either of  these views.

That said, whilst not blessed in the halves, on their day that seventeen could beat even Australia, even if it's only once or twice in ten games. And remember, Tonga beat the Aussies with Lolohea and Staggs (if I recall correctly) at 6 and 7, neither world-beaters in those positions.

It's true that Wakeham may have to step aside next year when the Dogs have cash to splash, but he's still only a young fellow with plenty of opportunity to develop. 

7 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

That said, whilst not blessed in the halves, on their day that seventeen could beat even Australia, even if it's only once or twice in ten games. And remember, Tonga beat the Aussies with Lolohea and Staggs (if I recall correctly) at 6 and 7, neither world-beaters in those positions.

It's true that Wakeham may have to step aside next year when the Dogs have cash to splash, but he's still only a young fellow with plenty of opportunity to develop. 

Lolohea reminds me of Olsen Filipana he used to grow another leg when he played for the Kiwis. Staggs is a class player and I heard he played a lot of halves when he was younger.

9 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Wakeham has looked decent in a weak side from what I've seen of him. He was dropped earlier then won his way back and is just starting to string some games together now, he only young I don't think anyone should write him off as average yet.

As for a 6 Moceidreke has played there and is in the Storm system so I'm sure he could do a job.

7 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Assuming the Kangaroos don't select Daniel Saifiti and RCG, and Hayne gets a Not Guilty and puts his boots on again, then Fiji has very handy seventeen. Dare I say it, one that on its day could beat anyone. Even the Aussies would struggle to handle this pack, with arguably the game's best front row.

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Maika Sivo
3. Waqa Blake
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Taane Milne
7. Brandon Wakeham
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Api Koroisau
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Tui Kamikamica
13. Tariq Sims

14. Kane Evans
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Koben Sims
17. Marcelo Montoya

Get Moses Suli in the centres. Kids an absolute monster and only 21.

Archived