No PR

tms

Promotion and relegation is set to be scrapped on Monday after it emerged the RFL and Super League have held talks to provide a parachute payment to fund a potential autumn competition for Championship and League 1 clubs.

RFL chairman Simon Johnson emailed clubs on Sunday evening to inform them that decisions made at the board meeting will be outlined on a call at 4:30 PM on Monday.

And clubs expect for the board to officially rule promotion and relegation because of the disruption to the season caused by the coronavirus, with many clubs not in a position to play games at home for the foreseeable future and Toronto unable to host games whatsoever because of travel restrictions.

If there is to no promotion or relegation will the Championship or National League resume?

Or will funding depend on final league placing if the season resumes?

Why not split the three leagues into two divisions with the top four in the Championship going into Super League.

The trouble is , Bryan, will it make any difference. I suspect he will have lots to say and mostly negative but will it matter. NO

Apart from Gary Hetherington, I don't think any Super League Clubs head honchos give a toss about the Lower League Clubs. I hope I am wrong, but I can see a closed shop again, with only London and Overseas Clubs having any chance of getting in.

27 minutes ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

If there is to be no promotion or relegation what has any club or players to play for.

In Super League the second half of most seasons will have meaningless matches from the Teams who have no chance of achieving a play off position.Players going through the motions without giving that little bit extra that relegation ties require for survival.The Championship and League one teams players will i hope play as they did pre Super League for pride of wearing the shirt ,their teamates,and us supporters.No need for big contract money without promotion but the players deserve to be looked after with a retainer  and as before match fees with winning or losing rates.It didnt stop players developing before in the so called lower teams,i only hope we can find a way to profit if and when the players move up a notch to Super League.

I have just read the official statement on the clubs website, regarding todays RLF meeting , and once again the RFL have delayed making any kind of decision.25 clubs will never agree that is why we are supposed to have a ruling body to make decisions ,SO WHY CANT THEY DO THAT.

I share your hope that the players we support will wear their shirts and play with the pride that has always been associated with Rovers.

I will continue to wear my  team favours with pride.

UTR

Archived