David Fifita set to become (tied) highest paid player in the NRL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s a very good player but that’s pretty ridiculous imo , especially for a forward . Titans have lots of problems , throwing all that at Fifita won’t solve them . It’s a good perception of doing something but it papers over the cracks . I’m not sure outside the money it does much for Fifita either tbh . I’m not sure he knows what he wants , hopefully he’s getting sound advice 

Some reports now emerging, suggesting Fifita's changed his mind and now wants to stay at the Broncos.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some reports now emerging, suggesting Fifita's changed his mind and now wants to stay at the Broncos.

I feel a bit for him actually . He’s a kid having to make a massive call . It’s not for me obviously , but I’d take the Broncos offer if it’s just a straight contest with the Titans . The Titans look like it’s the old looking to be doing something syndrome , but they need to look at their spine and middle strength , and they need to look at their local player development and attracting those players who often look elsewhere . I look at them and I wonder where they’re going 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I feel a bit for him actually . He’s a kid having to make a massive call . It’s not for me obviously , but I’d take the Broncos offer if it’s just a straight contest with the Titans . The Titans look like it’s the old looking to be doing something syndrome , but they need to look at their spine and middle strength , and they need to look at their local player development and attracting those players who often look elsewhere . I look at them and I wonder where they’re going 

I hope the Titan give Holbrook time to rebuild the squad.

But if Seibold's replaced, Fifita may be better off staying put.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s a very good player but that’s pretty ridiculous imo , especially for a forward . Titans have lots of problems , throwing all that at Fifita won’t solve them . It’s a good perception of doing something but it papers over the cracks . I’m not sure outside the money it does much for Fifita either tbh . I’m not sure he knows what he wants , hopefully he’s getting sound advice 

The money would no doubt help!

Fifita only wants a 1 year contract at this stage and the $1.25 M offer is over $500K more than the Broncos. Canterbury evidently have offered $1.1M.

He is taking advice from his mum having been brought up in challenging circumstances without a father.

My gut feeling is that he will take the Titans deal.

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I hope the Titan give Holbrook time to rebuild the squad.

But if Seibold's replaced, Fifita may be better off staying put.

If Titans can trim some dead wood or turn them around they're shaping up pretty well. Peachey, Cartwright, Taylor, Shannon Boyd, Rein, Wallace and Peats would all be on big money and doing not much. If Holbrook can clean that mess out there are some promising signs there with players like Brimson, Sami, Fotuaika, Thompson, Tanah Boyd, Fermor, Spry and Fa'asuamaleaui coming next year.

By cleaning out I don't necessarily mean cut them all loose either. There are quality RL players to be found in Peachey, Taylor and Cartwright and they age on their side. Hopefully a good coach can bring out their potential.

8 hours ago, jim_57 said:

If Titans can trim some dead wood or turn them around they're shaping up pretty well. Peachey, Cartwright, Taylor, Shannon Boyd, Rein, Wallace and Peats would all be on big money and doing not much. If Holbrook can clean that mess out there are some promising signs there with players like Brimson, Sami, Fotuaika, Thompson, Tanah Boyd, Fermor, Spry and Fa'asuamaleaui coming next year.

By cleaning out I don't necessarily mean cut them all loose either. There are quality RL players to be found in Peachey, Taylor and Cartwright and they age on their side. Hopefully a good coach can bring out their potential.

Cartwright has gone massively backwards, hasn't he? He looked a world beater in his first season with the Panthers but looks a complete liability now. Looks to offload pretty much every time he's tackled and invariably turns the ball over. Total coach killer.

From what I've seen of the Titans this year Jai Arrow is their best player by miles and of course he's off at the end of the season. Cheers for the tips with the young 'uns though, I'll try to watch out for those.

2 minutes ago, Poower Lad said:

How is he going at the Broncos this year .

He hasn't played recently, due to injury. He had knee surgery in April.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do we know why he only wants a 1 year deal?

It feels like he or his agent may have a (verbal) deal in place already with a team that has cap space from 2022 onwards.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do we know why he only wants a 1 year deal?

It feels like he or his agent may have a (verbal) deal in place already with a team that has cap space from 2022 onwards.

Isn’t it related to his total falling out with his manager , he has to give him a cut and he can get out of his contract with him next year . Either way I don’t see why any club would give a one year deal 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Isn’t it related to his total falling out with his manager , he has to give him a cut and he can get out of his contract with him next year . Either way I don’t see why any club would give a one year deal 

OK, I didn't know that.

Looks like both the Broncos and the Titans are happy to table a 1 year offer.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Looks like both the Broncos and the Titans are happy to table a 1 year offer.

Broncos get to keep him for another year but I don’t see why the Titans would go with that . It’s hardly long term rebuilding 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Broncos get to keep him for another year but I don’t see why the Titans would go with that . It’s hardly long term rebuilding 

Broncos will be able to table him an offer that’ll match the titans next year with Milford and bird off contract 

Just now, DavidM said:

Yes, that's true.

But players don't like to join wooden spoon teams.  If they get Fifita and he helps them to finish higher than they have in recent years, they may be able to attract more talent and also more sponsorship to the club.  I agree it is not long term but they may be seeing it as a statement of intent.

The continuity for me is in ensuring that Holbrook is given time to build the team in his image as I think he is the right coach for them and he needs the time and trust to build his own team.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Broncos will be able to table him an offer that’ll match the titans next year with Milford and bird off contract 

So he’s using the Titans for a year to earn more money before coming back for a mega deal ? I say again I don’t know why the Titans would go with that . He has a blinder then goes ? Titans need a long term rebuild , they’ve had enough disruption 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 23:12, George Watt said:

Fifita only wants a 1 year contract at this stage and the $1.25 M offer is over $500K more than the Broncos. Canterbury evidently have offered $1.1M.

He is taking advice from his mum having been brought up in challenging circumstances without a father.

My gut feeling is that he will take the Titans deal.

Gut feeling was correct.

Signed for three years with the Titans.

Putting the money to one side, that is a hell of a signing for Holbrook to help build a winning team.

He’s took the money , I’m not bagging him for that it’s a brutal and relatively short career which can end in a flash . But in rugby terms it’s a poor decision . The Titans just never seem to be going anywhere other than treading water . If they think a fringe forward is  gonna answer all their prayers they’re deluded . And in terms of attracting top players in key spots where they’re rubbish how much is left in the pot ? Taylor is on a million dollar contract . Broncos are rubbish but at least they have more potential to emerge from it . Or did he have any potential suitors in Sydney ? He should enjoy the money , as with Hayne there it will sweeten the pill

Archived