David Fifita set to become (tied) highest paid player in the NRL

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It will take some building.  They look a disjointed bunch.

They do. But they look better than last year and I am sure that will look better again next year.

They have now signed Fa’asuamaleaui from the Storm and Fifita from the Broncos and you can see them being much tougher on the edges than they have been in recent years where they have been fragile at best.

I am sure that Holbrook will have plans for the halves as well.  

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Show off 

Copy and paste is your friend in these situations.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I wish Justin well , I really like the guy . He needs to shift some deadwood and overpaid underachievers and reboot , there’s a psyche of failure he needs to change first and foremost . Get rid of that scar tissue . They’ve got players going through the motions to often or stuck in a rut . He’s easing out Peats who’s the most overrated hooker of the last decade , needs to shift a few others like Cartwright and Ash Taylor weighing the cap down . Get some quality down the spine and more strength in depth and they can start to progress . Being top heavy with a couple of stars outside poor playmakers won’t do it 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I wish Justin well , I really like the guy . He needs to shift some deadwood and overpaid underachievers and reboot , there’s a psyche of failure he needs to change first and foremost . Get rid of that scar tissue . They’ve got players going through the motions to often or stuck in a rut . He’s easing out Peats who’s the most overrated hooker of the last decade , needs to shift a few others like Cartwright and Ash Taylor weighing the cap down . Get some quality down the spine and more strength in depth and they can start to progress . Being top heavy with a couple of stars outside poor playmakers won’t do it 

True but the signing of Fifita is a statement of intent and will likely attract others. Shame they didn’t sign Thompson but Fifita, Fotuaika and the guy that Dunbar mentioned are some pack. Their spine and outside backs are still an issue though. Brimson is useful and Sami decent but they need more. Hastings would do a job 

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

True but the signing of Fifita is a statement of intent and will likely attract others. Shame they didn’t sign Thompson but Fifita, Fotuaika and the guy that Dunbar mentioned are some pack. Their spine and outside backs are still an issue though. Brimson is useful and Sami decent but they need more. Hastings would do a job 

Yeh Brimson was the guy I was trying to think of , I like him he gives a spark . Get him back and he’s a good start . I agree about the intent and attraction to other players . I wonder about their cap space though , and I don’t know if they’ll be able to shift guys on big contracts . Taylor, Cartwright , Wallace , Boyd etc havent delivered and even Peachey has  flattered to deceive and not nailed down one spot . Holbrook obviously knows all this and what he needs 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh Brimson was the guy I was trying to think of , I like him he gives a spark . Get him back and he’s a good start . I agree about the intent and attraction to other players . I wonder about their cap space though , and I don’t know if they’ll be able to shift guys on big contracts . Taylor, Cartwright , Wallace , Boyd etc havent delivered and even Peachey has  flattered to deceive and not nailed down one spot . Holbrook obviously knows all this and what he needs 

Yeah they do need a massive clear out. Peachey is stealing a living. How long are those guys contracted for? 

Next year might be a year of transition before 2022 they can get in a position to challenge for play offs 

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yeah they do need a massive clear out. Peachey is stealing a living. How long are those guys contracted for? 

Next year might be a year of transition before 2022 they can get in a position to challenge for play offs 

Totally agree , it’s going to be a long job hopefully with some upward trajectory  next year as a start . They should give Justin the time , I think he’s the man for them 

The Titans have also secured Herman Ese'ese for 2021 so that is three quality forward signings plus Corey Thompson who add some real competitive edge to the back three.

They have resigned AJ Brimson, Sam Lisone and Phillip Sami and lost Jai Arrow to Souths.

Players off contract after 2020 are Juwan Compain, Dale Copley, Anthony Don, Keegan Hipgrave, Ryan James, Jaimin Jolliffe, Nathan Peats, Kevin Proctor, Tyrone Roberts, Ioane Seiuli, Sam Stone.

Rumours are that Ryan James will sign for the Raiders and I am not convinced any of these are must keeps for the Titans.  Some are good but I would be happy to see Holbrook have a real shake up.

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The Titans have also secured Herman Ese'ese for 2021 so that is three quality forward signings plus Corey Thompson who add some real competitive edge to the back three.

They have resigned AJ Brimson, Sam Lisone and Phillip Sami and lost Jai Arrow to Souths.

Players off contract after 2020 are Juwan Compain, Dale Copley, Anthony Don, Keegan Hipgrave, Ryan James, Jaimin Jolliffe, Nathan Peats, Kevin Proctor, Tyrone Roberts, Ioane Seiuli, Sam Stone.

Rumours are that Ryan James will sign for the Raiders and I am not convinced any of these are must keeps for the Titans.  Some are good but I would be happy to see Holbrook have a real shake up.

I’m surprised they don’t want to keep Proctor who has been probably the best player for the Titans in recent seasons. 

I’d look to keep Hipgrave and Copley as well from that list

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Holbrooks team are coming 14 from 16 with the second worst for and against diff.

Paying massive overs for Fifita will see him Coaching back in Super League in 2022 if not before.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

10 minutes ago, Allora said:

Holbrooks team are coming 14 from 16 with the second worst for and against diff.

Paying massive overs for Fifita will see him Coaching back in Super League in 2022 if not before.

The team Holbrook inherited finished dead last in 2019 with their for and against 130 points worse than the next worst.

All you can expect from a coach is to improve the side.  To criticize Holbrook for the Titans performances after just 10 games in charge and clear evidence of improvement is ridiculous, 

42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The team Holbrook inherited finished dead last in 2019 with their for and against 130 points worse than the next worst.

All you can expect from a coach is to improve the side.  To criticize Holbrook for the Titans performances after just 10 games in charge and clear evidence of improvement is ridiculous, 

The Titans have plenty of quality players that many teams would like to have.

Their problem is their Culture, it is not a secret

Surely hiring a new Coach who knows the situation better than you or I do would have greater expectations than being slightly better than they were last year.

What did the Job Ad say, came last, last year, coming second or third last is good enough?

8 minutes ago, Allora said:

Surely hiring a new Coach who knows the situation better than you or I do would have greater expectations than being slightly better than they were last year.

What did the Job Ad say, came last year, coming second or third last is good enough?

Are you suggesting the Titans should lose Holbrook because he has not turned the club around taken them higher up the table yet in his 10 games in charge?

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Are you suggesting the Titans should lose Holbrook because he has not turned the club around taken them higher up the table yet in his 10 games in charge?

I am suggesting there would have been greater expectations than he has delivered in those 10 games so far.

There have been some absolute floggings that should be unacceptable to any new Coach.

24-6

46-6

36-6

32-12

40-10

42-6

220- 46 does not seem like a great improvement.

Maybe I am wrong.

I personally think its a great signing along with the young Melbourne youngster, Tino Fas.......

Hes literally the best young rugby league player on the planet.

Plus Herman Esese who I really rate.

They're being slagged off a bit but what are they meant to do? Wait 3 years not signing anyone until the perfect player comes off contract like Cameron Munster, Jason Taumalolo or James Tedesco and have a run at them?

They may still struggle next year but at least they will have an exciting young team to get behind.

Props to the Titans board and Holbrook in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I personally think its a great signing along with the young Melbourne youngster, Tino Fas.......

Hes literally the best young rugby league player on the planet.

Plus Herman Esese who I really rate.

They're being slagged off a bit but what are they meant to do? Wait 3 years not signing anyone until the perfect player comes off contract like Cameron Munster, Jason Taumalolo or James Tedesco and have a run at them?

They may still struggle next year but at least they will have an exciting young team to get behind.

Props to the Titans board and Holbrook in my opinion.

The Titans have a pretty big junior setup they can draw from.

Maybe they should take a leaf out of the Storms playbook and and focus on a few select players rather than look at bigger numbers with less personal development.

The Storm spend far more on 20 players training and skill development than most Clubs spend on 100 juniors. 

17 minutes ago, Allora said:

The Titans have a pretty big junior setup they can draw from.

Maybe they should take a leaf out of the Storms playbook and and focus on a few select players rather than look at bigger numbers with less personal development.

The Storm spend far more on 20 players training and skill development than most Clubs spend on 100 juniors. 

Agreed and all clubs should take a leaf out of the storms book.

But your insinuating that they shouldn't buy players who are off contract at other clubs.

Based on the quality of their roster I assume they have a lot of salary cap to spend next season. They have to spend it on someone so they may as well use it on the best young player in the world.

I see nothing wrong with this.

13 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Agreed and all clubs should take a leaf out of the storms book.

But your insinuating that they shouldn't buy players who are off contract at other clubs.

Based on the quality of their roster I assume they have a lot of salary cap to spend next season. They have to spend it on someone so they may as well use it on the best young player in the world.

I see nothing wrong with this.

No.

They are paying overs for all the players in their team and it seems they are continuing to do that with Fifita.

They should be buying Halves, Five Eights, Hookers and Fullbacks. The Spine.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

No.

They are paying overs for all the players in their team and it seems they are continuing to do that with Fifita.

They should be buying Halves, Five Eights, Hookers and Fullbacks. The Spine.

Agreed. But my point is that you can't just sit there doing nothing if these players are not available.

Name these Halves, Hookers and Fullbacks available for 2021? Kieran Foran, Blake Green? 

All teams at the bottom of the table have to pay overs for players. I'd prefer they do it on young players with super star potential than an established mid to late 20's player.

Fifita is an outstanding player.  He will add massive value to the Titans.

Of course the Titans need more from their spine but I can't see how signing potentially the best young forward in a generation to a 3 year deal is anything but positive.

What this deal says for Brisbane is far more important.  Not only are they a basket case of a side this season but the biggest club in the game can't hold on to their young talent.  It is massively worrying. 

1 hour ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Fifita is an incredible player, any club would be happy to have him. 

It may go some way to addressing the fundamental on-field issue with the Titans; a complete lack of leadership. I thought Proctor may have been that player, but it hasn't been the case.

I’m not sure Fifita is a leader and it’s a big ask of a teenager to expect him to be

3 hours ago, Allora said:

What did the Job Ad say, came last, last year, coming second or third last is good enough?

I’d be interested to know what these quality players that the Titans have are?

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not sure Fifita is a leader and it’s a big ask of a teenager to expect him to be

I doubt that's why they signed him. At this early stage, Fifita is a weapon that a competent leader can unleash.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived