Players reject salary cut (Merged Threads)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carvell is quite correct in that clubs cant plead poverty and expect players to take pay cuts if they are then spending money on new players. I fully think that everyone has to do their bit, and to be fair from what I have heard from the players they realise this as well and have reacted in the right way and with common sense, but players cant be taken for a ride either.

Club bosses who have announced big new signings during the period of closure before they've agreed wage reductions with their existing squads are the worst negotiators I think I've ever seen. Could they not have just sat on their announcements for a couple of weeks?

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It seems pitiful that decisions on pay have not been agreed by now with all clubs.  

especially when, from what i have read, many of them are a case of "IF the fans come back into the stadium, then we will increase by up to x%" so there is no definite and it is all graded.. if we can get some in you get a bit more money, if we get more in you can get a bit more than that etc.. 

it seems fair on both, clubs are getting more income and the players should get some of it while also understanding if bans arent lifted they need to stay as they are as there is no extra income.. 

Everyone should help each other out at the moment.. its what we are trying to do as a business, we expect people to have the same thought and understanding as us.. anyone treating people badly can do one.. clubs should treat their players well, players equally need to understand the pressure on the clubs, which is something they seem to have done for the vast majority, now clubs need to just give them a little bit of security with the above style agreement (that some seem to have been able to do quite happily).

Politically I lean towards the right and am in many ways a Conservative but on this one I am inclined to agree Gareth Carvell on this one.

Clubs should not be bringing in new high profile players on huge salaries whilst asking existing contracted players to take less money.That causes understandable resentment and I can understand players being p155ed off as it is a kick in the teeth and nuts at the same time.

And yes I can understand clubs asking players to take reduced salaries because of the circumstances.But they should be thinking about keeping their existing staff happy and getting them back on their full salaries first before they bring in new faces.Once again this shows how incompetent some of the people who are in charge of our clubs are.

And it puts the game in a bad light 

And so they should too, the big problem here is that clubs are signing new players while asking current squad members to take a salary reduction.

The players are the biggest asset tgis sport has yet time and time again they get treated badly.

Many clubs are just tin pot organisations who are barely able to survive from one season to the next. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/players-union-boss-calls-ban-22324343.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I worked on a reduced contract for the first part of this pandemic and I have also forsaken some of my income in this financial year.

But my business is still recruiting people who will make the organisation stronger and I am not being negative about it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

52 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I worked on a reduced contract for the first part of this pandemic and I have also forsaken some of my income in this financial year.

But my business is still recruiting people who will make the organisation stronger and I am not being negative about it.

Maybe it was because your productivity was so poor with spending so much time on here?

Just now, DoubleD said:

Maybe it was because your productivity was so poor with spending so much time on here?

The only word I disagree with is 'maybe'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, DoubleD said:

In fairness, I'm in the same boat. I'm in a real dilemma. Test cricket is back, there's the NRL, how am I meant to work from home?

I do ok Monday through Wednesday but somehow my output tails off around 10.50am on Thursday.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I do ok Monday through Wednesday but somehow my output tails off around 10.50am on Thursday.

Sadly I can't say the same..........I still usually have 1 or 2 NRL games leftover from the weekend to watch at the start of the following week

• John Drake changed the title to Players reject salary cut (Merged Threads)

6 clubs have supposedly agreed deals with their clubs - how you view that is literally a glass half full/empty scenario.

According to the Michael Carter in the Yorkshire Post Wakefield are not one of them and he is unsure whether they will even return to training on the 20th July

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

6 clubs have supposedly agreed deals with their clubs - how you view that is literally a glass half full/empty scenario.

According to the Michael Carter in the Yorkshire Post Wakefield are not one of them and he is unsure whether they will even return to training on the 20th July

Saw on Twitter earlier that Saints are supposed to be back training next Monday. I think I read somewhere too that us and Leeds were first up with the covid tests earlier in the week so I'm presuming (hoping) we're both sorted.

Three weeks from the restart and with wage agreements still outstanding it's not looking great. Going to be a very short pre-season for some clubs which doesn't bode well for fitness and injuries. Pretty hard to be glass half full at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Moove said:

Saw on Twitter earlier that Saints are supposed to be back training next Monday. I think I read somewhere too that us and Leeds were first up with the covid tests earlier in the week so I'm presuming (hoping) we're both sorted.

Three weeks from the restart and with wage agreements still outstanding it's not looking great. Going to be a very short pre-season for some clubs which doesn't bode well for fitness and injuries. Pretty hard to be glass half full at the moment.

Yeah I thought same too (Rhinos fan), Huddersfield are back training tomorrow so presumably they've also sorted deals. Add Hull KR and FC and thats 5 teams so one more has got them to 6.

Come to think of it I'm unsure whether Catalans and Toronto are included in this tbh. The former will have (limited) crowds come the restart and the latter I don't know.

Hopefully it gets sorted but the situation is so fluid and changing quickly.

I'm confused about this with players not being happy with wage reductions, which on its own is understandable. Most players being signed do seem to be for 2021 and not this year when wage reductions will apply. Whether clubs are trying to take those reductions into 2021 I don't know.

One of the biggest signings is John Bateman by Wigan (my club) on a four year deal from 2021. He will be on a fortune. Cost wise in the forwards it will be offset by Flower going to Toronto, O'Loughlin retiring and probably Greenwood going to Leeds. Rather than Wigan's wage spending going up I think there'll be quite a salary saving there. In the backs Joe Burgess is going to Salford although we don't yet know if Gildart or Hastings will leave. Leuluai may retire.   

How matters pan out in 2021 we don't know. If the vaccine is generally available by early 2021 it will change everything. If it isn't then we will still struggle to deal with the virus and its effects on the sport.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I thought same too (Rhinos fan), Huddersfield are back training tomorrow so presumably they've also sorted deals. Add Hull KR and FC and thats 5 teams so one more has got them to 6.

Come to think of it I'm unsure whether Catalans and Toronto are included in this tbh. The former will have (limited) crowds come the restart and the latter I don't know.

Hopefully it gets sorted but the situation is so fluid and changing quickly.

Catalans are sorted as they’re already back in training 

Agar confirms Leeds have reached agreement:

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/07/10/agar-proud-of-players-around-lockdown-approach/

We have had a couple of spokespeople for the rest of the group who have been very appreciative of what the club have had to go through. The damage that Covid has done to the whole business and the income streams is huge. They are also mindful about the wider world and what people are going through in the real world.

They have had some productive and fruitful discussions with the hierarchy at our club, namely Gary and Kev, and very quickly came to an understanding and an agreement that they were cool with, which means it is business as usual for us. We did it in a fairly painless way and there was an understanding on both sides that we could agree on pretty quickly. The boys want to get back on the field and they understand the problems the lockdown has caused.

So we know Hull and Leeds are definitely sorted.

Wakefield and Warrington are not sorted.

The split of the rest is all speculation?

Archived