Sun 12 Jul: NRL: Newcastle Knights v Parramatta Eels KO 7.05am BST (Sky Sports)

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

You are working on the philosophy my old dad used to . Whatever I say do the opposite . Very wisely 

Not true.

If I was actually betting money, I doubt my predictions would be the same.

I fancy the Knights, at home.  

There was a try rubbed out because of a PTB that was "not acceptable". It was marginal, but fair enough. However, Gerard Sutton has refereed English/British teams in recent years. In those games almost every PTB by our players was "not acceptable" but he allowed them.

Does the RFL negotiate with Aussie refs prior to the game a special dispensation for our players, exempting them from the PTB rules in international fixtures? 

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There was a try rubbed out because of a PTB that was "not acceptable". It was marginal, but fair enough. However, Gerard Sutton has refereed English/British teams in recent years. In those games almost every PTB by our players was "not acceptable" but he allowed them.

Does the RFL negotiate with Aussie refs prior to the game a special dispensation for our players, exempting them from the PTB rules in international fixtures? 

That's a fair point, strange how the same player's who can't do it properly for the international team  do it correctly for their NRL club.

Parra are really battle hardened , they look a very good unit and tough nut to crack. And still without Moses . That was a ground out win that genuine contenders come up with . They can win this comp . Poor old Kalyn took a fair pounding there , but good on him he takes his licks and keeps coming back . Knights just a little short , personally I’ve never been sold on Pearce .

On 12/07/2020 at 19:50, DavidM said:

Parra are really battle hardened , they look a very good unit and tough nut to crack. And still without Moses . That was a ground out win that genuine contenders come up with . They can win this comp . Poor old Kalyn took a fair pounding there , but good on him he takes his licks and keeps coming back . Knights just a little short , personally I’ve never been sold on Pearce .

Feel a bit for Ponga, hope he bounces back...........he's not been himself the past few weeks which is a shame.

Parra were lucky to win, after not playing well. But i suppose that is a sign of a good team. They lack a general without Moses. Brown stood up last week but didn't control the game this time around. Whilst Field is an explosive runner but is not a controlling half. He's rather limited. Gutherson and Marney stood up though when it mattered and their RCG and Nathan Brown were immense

On 12/07/2020 at 15:44, unapologetic pedant said:

Give it a rest will you?

The NRL re-start has shown that most of their players don't actually play the ball with the foot, only merely 'attempting' to do so, which is akin to SL

That try was ruled out because the ref couldn’t continue because the ptb was incorrect ... but it was incorrect because of a leg pull , which you could clearly see on the replay . So the ref rightly pulled it up and gave a penalty 

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Give it a rest will you?

The NRL re-start has shown that most of their players don't actually play the ball with the foot, only merely 'attempting' to do so, which is akin to SL

I'd like to see the NRL ref's pull up a few of the worst play the balls. They are deteriorating a little and some of the attempts are poor. 

As we have seen in Super League (and our scrums chat) these things can quickly become very poor and if the ref's can stop the rot they should.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'd like to see the NRL ref's pull up a few of the worst play the balls. They are deteriorating a little and some of the attempts are poor. 

As we have seen in Super League (and our scrums chat) these things can quickly become very poor and if the ref's can stop the rot they should.

I don’t disagree as such but in general I just don’t think the focus should be on there

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t disagree as such but in general I just don’t think the focus should be on there

I just think it would be a poor spectacle in the situation got worse.  The ball carrier has the advantage of potentially winning a repeat, I think this needs to be counterbalanced by ensuring the play the ball is executed properly.  And if that means stamping down before it gets worse it is better than fixing a bigger problem later.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

57 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I just think it would be a poor spectacle in the situation got worse.  The ball carrier has the advantage of potentially winning a repeat, I think this needs to be counterbalanced by ensuring the play the ball is executed properly.  And if that means stamping down before it gets worse it is better than fixing a bigger problem later.

Yeah and I wouldn’t be adverse to that. But I just get irritated by it being overly scrutinised by commentators in particular, when there’s hundreds of different aspects of the game which are overlooked. The negatives certainly over here seem to be accentuated. It’s really refreshing listening and watching NRL and not having to put up with it. 

The incorrect forming of scrums is a bigger issue for me than PTB. And it irritates me when commentators denigrate scrums in general, when they can lead to great tries off the back of them or on occasion the defending side pushing to win back possession (when refs don’t unfairly penalise)

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Give it a rest will you?

Why didn`t you tell Dunbar to "Give it a rest". Might change this giveaway username.

Comparing your view of the PTB  with your view of the scrum, are they not a bit at odds?

48 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Why didn`t you tell Dunbar to "Give it a rest". Might change this giveaway username.

Comparing your view of the PTB  with your view of the scrum, are they not a bit at odds?

What does that mean Mate?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, Allora said:

What does that mean Mate?

On this thread, I put up one post about correct PTBs , Dunbar puts up two, and I`m the one told by DoubleD to "give it a rest".

I`m guessing it`s because I`m the self-confessed pedant, i.e. I`ve given myself away in the username. Could be wrong, he might just not like me.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

On this thread, I put up one post about correct PTBs , Dunbar puts up two, and I`m the one told by DoubleD to "give it a rest".

I`m guessing it`s because I`m the self-confessed pedant, i.e. I`ve given myself away in the username. Could be wrong, he might just not like me.

It's actually because you keep bleating about the huge differences in the PTB between the 2 professional comps and how it is has a massive negative effect on the game and how it's viewed. All of which is nonsense

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It's actually because you keep bleating about the huge differences in the PTB between the 2 professional comps and how it is has a massive negative effect on the game and how it's viewed. All of which is nonsense

Consider if the scrum, which concerns you more than the PTB, were discernibly different in the NRL and everywhere else from here in UK. Would you not be asking some challenging questions as to why we were not doing better? 

Regarding the PTB. I only joined the forum in February, and long before that I`d resolved to stop "bleating", resign myself to how it now was, and just try to enjoy the games. Then, the RFL issued their statement about correct PTBs...

Archived