My Favourite day as a fan – Lesley Boon

Broncos News

When the club asked me to write a fans piece, I thought which game do I write about?

My first thought was Fulham V Australia November 1982. Then thought the semi final game of March 1999 v Castleford for which I apologise now to Andy Liddle.

Unfortunately my family and I were unable to attend the game due to various reasons. But were very much engrossed in the TV that day. We went into this game having won both of our League games against Huddersfield 24-18 and Sheffield 26-20. And also beating Doncaster in round Four 64 points to 0 , Hull KR 6 to 0 in round five and then Whitehaven in quarter final 54 to 6.

This game is surely one that will live on for many of us. Shaun Edwards wins the toss and off we go. We went into this game as underdogs Cas had a very good side. Luckily for us their 1st try on three minutes was chalked off as he hit the corner flag. But five minutes later John Timu almost went over for our try but spilled the ball. A few minutes later we won a scrum and with some very good passing Karle Hammond eventually went over. To be honest it was hard to see if he grounded the ball, but the video ref gave it. Brett Warton converted.

Further 1st half tries from Martin Offiah and Robbie Beazley went unconverted. But we went in at half tme winning 12-14. Cas were definately the stronger side in the last 10 minutes.

Second half we were again first on the score board with a drop goal from Robbie Beazley. Ten minutes in and we started to look tired. I remember thinking “that’s it we are going to get slaughtered, is the dream over?” But we got a second wind with Shaun Edwards going over under the sticks, converted by Warton .

That Dean Sampson was a battering ram , we were just bouncing off him. Then Darren Rogers went over. and then a 40/20 led to their 4th try. With 15 to go I don’t think I had many finger nails left as we were up 20-21. But I thought it was game over when they went over again to take the lead with only minutes to go.

A spilled ball from Castleford led to our big man, Peter Gill, going over.

I could not stand it anymore as it was now 26-27!!

A minute later Danny Orr scored a drop goal for them to level the scores. Could we cope with extra time ? Surely we were knackered!

When the legend Steele Retchless went over after throwing what has to be the best dummy ever that final hooter couldn’t come soon enough.

There we were, Dad and I jumping around the living room like lunatics, even the dog was barking!

I am so proud to of followed this club through thick and thin for 39 years but on that particular day those boys definitely had pride in the shirt. Lesley

View the full article

Archived